Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Kindle Fire Ads Driving You Nutz? >

Kindle Fire Ads Driving You Nutz?

Kindle Fire Ads Driving You Nutz?

Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
[ Another good reason to add to the list that makes my Nook better than the Kindle.
The Kindles are every bit as good as the Nook. Some of us opt to purchase the one with ads to save $.. It's cheaper and the ads aren't bothersome at all. They only show up when you turn your Kindle on. It's good to have that option if you want to save money.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't saying anything against the Kindle, everyone has the right to get what they want. All I said it was another reason to add to the list why "I" made the best choice for me. I chose the Nook because they don't care where you buy your books from, they support many different formats. Rather its Sony, or Kindle or Apple, I don't like companies who make something and sell it to you but you can only use what they produce. I have never heard of this charge for ads before because Nook doesn't do that. It's just one price for all and I never have ads to pop up. It surprised me that this exsist. I know our PC's come with all of those ads on them and the AOL, McAfee, etc all get deleted as soon as I set it up because its just wasting space on my hard drive.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

The basic Kindle with ads is $70. That is what I buy for gifts for older kids. If lost or broken, not that much invested and now most schools have BYOD (Bring you own device) study hall. The basic Kindle is perfect for having all the required reading books on it. And the classic books kids are required to read are all free to download. In one minute you can have the 100 World Classics downloaded.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:36 AM

The ads were the reason why I decided not to replace my old, 2nd-gen Kindle that I had dropped on the floor. I am tired of being constantly bombarded with ads in every aspect of my life - billboards, radio ads, tv commercials.... We dropped Directv a few months ago and went to nothing but Netflix, Roku, and broadcast tv. Tv ads in my life have dropped about 80% and I couldn't be more pleased. I refuse to pay the extra $20 for an ad-free Kindle.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

I don't let ads of any type bother me. I seldom pay attention to them. I rarely notice them on this site. I had no idea there was a quilt of the week shown on this board until I read a post about it. LOL.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:30 AM

Quilt of the week? Guess I don't know about that either.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 AM

[Quote- I refuse to pay the extra $20 for an ad-free Kindle.[/QUOTE]

Kind of like the glass being half full or half empty. I look at it as the one without the ads having the regular price. You can get a discount if you don't mind the ads. Funny how we all look at things differently.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
[Quote- I refuse to pay the extra $20 for an ad-free Kindle.
Kind of like the glass being half full or half empty. I look at it as the one without the ads having the regular price. You can get a discount if you don't mind the ads. Funny how we all look at things differently.[/QUOTE]

Somebody at Amazon should take note of this. If they listed it as a way to get a discount it might be a lot more palatable to a lot of us. That is truly what it is, since the sponsors are willing to offset that extra cost, just as they do on TV.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 AM

They really get their money's worth, don't they. For $20 they can bombard you with ads until the end of time. If there was an end date to the ads, I might have considered it.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
They really get their money's worth, don't they. For $20 they can bombard you with ads until the end of time. If there was an end date to the ads, I might have considered it.
I agree about a time limit but I doesn't bother me enough to not pay the extra for my ad free Kindle.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 AM

Believe me it's an advantage for saving money. When you turn it on the ads pop up. You go to your book and start reading. No more ads until next time you turn it on. No big deal.