Kindle Paperwhite

Old 03-05-2014, 07:57 AM

I LOVE my Paperwhite!! I had a regular Kindle before this one and my DH bought me the Paperwhite so I could read even if the lighting is bad in a room. The ads are only when you first turn on the machine, not while you read. I got a leather cover for it that has a magnet closure. When you close it, it turns off the Paperwhite! This is one of those gifts that I keep thanking DH for, I love it so much!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:58 AM

I bought my Kindle Xmas 2010, After a yr I had a problem, called Amazon (where I bought it) and had a new replacement in 2 days. The second one is still fine and I average reading 3 books a week on it.. I keep hoping something will happen so I can get a new one. I researched the new ones, I looked for lightweight and long battery. I also want the back light and 3G so you can get a book anytime, anywhere. I buy lots of books from Amazon when they discount them and also borrow from my library for free.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

DH reads in bed and had an older Kindle with built in book light. I bought him the Paperwhite. He doesn't need extra light to read and he can read in bright sunlight. I like my Kindle Fire to have the quilt books, patterns, and magazines in full color. I have a Kindle that only has the classic books on it and one for grands to use with their favorite books and games on it. You can buy a Kindle at Amazon for $49 when there is a special sale. About the cost of two new books.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-05-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:31 AM

I have two Kindles. I have had the reader with the keyboard (and no special advertisements). I really love it and carry it with me wherever I go. The, my husband gave me a Fire HDX for Christmas. It does have the special announcements but I just click them off. They are so repetitive. I find them moderately annoying because I am not interested in them. However, they are there. I like this Kindle because of all the info I have stored on it but feel vulnerable in case I should lose it somehow. If I had to choose between them I would choose the first one I had. I also have a PC so some of the functions that are on the Fire are redundant.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
AZ Jane, not sure if you already know this (and I apologize if you do), but turning off the Wi-Fi on your Kindle Fire will conserve the battery. When I'm just using mine to read (after the book/magazine/whatever is already downloaded), I simply turn off the Wi-Fi until I'm ready to download again. Just think about it this way - when the Wi-Fi is on, it's always "pinging" back to the internet to see if something is ready to download, which uses battery life.

As to your original question, as others have said, the special offers don't bother you while reading. I've actually bought several things because of the special offers!

Yes, this saves on battery life. My habit is to research and load reading material off my PC, then the next time I turn my Kindlekeyboard on, I click on wifi so it can download, then turn it off again.

As others have said, the advertising is not popping up and it is not a problem.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:46 AM
lbc

I also have the 3g Kindle with the keyboard and the special offers. Offers have never bothered me. Only complaint about mine is not having a light for nighttime reading.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM

Mine was a gift. I don't know how I ever got along without it. The ads from Amazon only appear when I first turn it on. If I'm interested, I follow up. I buy all my books using my desktop computer. froggyintexas
Old 03-05-2014, 03:55 PM

I bought myself a Kindle Fire HD for my Christmas gift after hubby gave me money as a Christmas gift. I love my Kindle Fire. It doesn't have a camera on it but that is Ok. I wasn't planning to use it as a camera. But I love the fact that I can download emails for my reading in the car if we are going somewhere. I have downloaded loads of free books from Amazon and Book Bub, and have even got knitting patterns on it. I will be taking it with me to Ashville NC in June when I go to the American Hemerocallis Society's National Convention, since it is much lighter in weight than my tablet is. I can fit it into the day bag I will be using to hold my wallet and keys as well as a camera ,phone and a water bottle when we are visiting gardens.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:38 PM

I loooooove my Paperwhite. I had the original Kindle with buttons and a very nice cover with book light before. My MIL sent me the Paperwhite wifi with free offers as a gift and it is indeed wonderful. It is lighter than the original and has a number of extra features. The free offers only appear when you first open it or turn it on. I don't mind this at all because it gives me ideas of other books that I might enjoy. I have the Amazon leather case which is small and fits tightly and which causes the Kindle to turn on when it is opened. I might have chosen the 3G model had I not received it as a gift since that is what I had before, but I don't find it to be a big problem to make sure that I have several books loaded if I will be somewhere without wifi. The brightness of the screen is adjustable as well as font size and a number of other features. I highy recommend it!!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:48 AM

I have the Kindle Paperwhite Wifi as well as the iPad Air. It was worth it to me to pay the little extra to turn off the ads/offers. I don't care for the distraction, but I love my Kindle! It goes with me everywhere.