A kindle ?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:51 AM

Default A kindle ?

On my iPad and probably on my fire I have a lot of books.....some I have read and would like to remove..when I pull up the list on the iPad it shows they are in "cloud"....ok, what/where/how...I'm in a cloud...can't find out how to delete/remove books I no longer want on these devices....see, now if this were a hard copy book, I would just donate to goodwill! Curses!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:13 AM

As I recall, Kindle books that you see on the cloud, you can swipe to the left and get option to archive. With iBooks (the kind you read with the iPad built-in app), you can archive but never delete. That's why I never use that app; some books I get and don't like, and I resent having to keep them. I usually get Kindle books, even from the library, or I use Overdrive to read books from the library. Hope that helps somewhat!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:20 AM

Geri, From your computer go to your Amazon account and then to your Kindle Devices. You should see a list of all your books and apps. Check the box next to the things you want to edit. You should see a list of options. Remove or delete should be there.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Boy, how confusing. I like having the paperback books still.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
Geri, From your computer go to your Amazon account and then to your Kindle Devices. You should see a list of all your books and apps. Check the box next to the things you want to edit. You should see a list of options. Remove or delete should be there.
Yes, this is how you delete the books. I read books on my Android tablet via my Kindle app but have found that if I borrow books from the library via Kindle format I'm left with a block on my tablet that says loan over. The only way I can get rid of these blocks is to delete and re-install my Kindle app. Very much a nuisance.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Boy, how confusing. I like having the paperback books still.
I'm actually trying to go back to books instead of reading on my tablet. My tablet is big and gets heavy after awhile and I recently found that all that 'blue' light from tablets, computers and phones isn't good for your eyes. I also miss(or don't know how) going back and forth in a book as I sometimes what to do. And I miss the chance to pass a book along to another person.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:23 AM

As I understand mine, items on the cloud are all the books you have purchased, and are stored in your Amazon master library. You can delete them as mentioned above. But on your iPad d or phone there is the tab "device" and if you tap this, you will see lit up only the books you have downloaded from the cloud to your device---the rest are faded out. I have never removed a book from my devices, just left them there after reading.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
.when I pull up the list on the iPad it shows they are in "cloud"....ok, what/where/how...I'm in a cloud...can't find out how to delete/remove books I no longer want on these devices...
If the books are "in the cloud" they're not actually ON your device. They're on a server somewhere else, not taking up space on your iPad.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:21 AM

I think there are pros and cons to both tablets and paperback books. What I love about my Kindle is that I can change the font size and I can change the color of the page to a black nightime mode so that I can read in bed and not disturb my husband. I like that I can highlight words and look them up in the dictionary. I really like that I can turn the page without having to reposition myself. I don't like that I can't see the screen outside easily. With paper books, I can buy used copies for not much money and donate them to someone else after if I choose. I like being able to flip through the pages back and forth and find my place easily. And I like the way the book feels in my hand. With technology becoming obsolete soon after it is sold, I wonder how many people will eventually lose their books simply because they retire their tablet. And then there is the elephant in the room. Where are all these "old" televisions and cell phones and tablets and computers going to get dumped after we get a new one every couple of years. I suppose that is a whole new topic.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Why delete from your cloud? It is like your bookshelf but not in your house. On a Kindle all you do is put your finger on the book picture, hold it there until a message says delete from device and other options, depending on the model of the Kindle. Select that and it will remove it from the Kindle. If you delete if from the Cloud I think it is gone for good.