Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for a Tonkinese Cat to keep me company >

Looking for a Tonkinese Cat to keep me company

Looking for a Tonkinese Cat to keep me company

Old 03-27-2014, 08:17 AM

I've never had a Tonk but do have a Rag Doll. She is just about perfect! She's gorgeous, fun, comes when I call (lid a dog), loves her toys (like a dog), and will even bring back a toy if I throw it. Only problem is she has really long hair and she'd puff balls of it! I shave her every so often so that helps a bit. Hubby claims to be allergic to her but lets her sleep on our bed...silly man. If and when the time comes I'll get another Rag Doll in a heartbeat!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I had a tonk about 25 yrs ago, Tajmin, she was like dog. a great kitty. Maine Coons are like dog too, ck into them.
good luck and be sure to show us a picture of your new little prince/princess.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I have a Russian blue, and like diannia cats, My ZOey is like a dog. plays with and fetches toys, waits at the door for daddy to return, sleeps with us, talks up a storem and has conversations with us, askes for things, treats and affection.

I honestly think it depends on how you raise your kitten. Although, rag dolls and maine coons are known for their affection. My Russian blue is the smartest cat I;ve had, I've loved all my cats like children, equally, the maine coon was my sons, but the cat I have now is definitely the smartest.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:33 AM

We had our Ragdoll put to sleep a couple of months ago at 18 1/2. She was the best cat ever, even minded me. I think I'd never get another one just because I think I would always compare it to my Sophie. But maybe I should check into the Tonks.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:04 PM

www.petfinder.com is a website that is sort of a clearinghouse for rescued cats and dogs who currently live in rescues, foster homes or shelters. You can put in as much or little search info as you like, and see what you find. Age, gender, breed, how far you want to drive, etc. It's almost like a yard sale in that you never know who or what you might find! There are thousands of pets on here so hopefully you'll find your Tonk. Please try rescuing before you use a breeder, though. There are way too many good pets euthanized in America each day. <steps down off soapbox and waves!> Thanks, and Good Luck!!!!!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:53 PM

Petfinder.com is a great place to search. They list animals in shelters and rescue groups all over the country. You can search by breed and zip code. We found our Portuguese Water Dog mix on petfinder and I don't know if we could have found a better dog anywhere. They have a bunch of Tonks -- I just checked. Good luck to you in finding a new friend and giving a loving kitty a forever home.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:31 PM

Here is a Minnisota breeder:
[TABLE="class: breeders"]
[TR]
[TD="class: staterow, bgcolor: #CCFFFF"]Minnesota[/TD]
[TD="class: staterow, bgcolor: #CCFFFF"][/TD]
[TD="class: staterow, bgcolor: #CCFFFF"] [/TD]
[TD="class: staterow, bgcolor: #CCFFFF"] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: statecolumn"] [/TD]
[TD]Valori Trantanella[/TD]
[TD]Vitrina[/TD]
[TD]Greater Twin Cities area[/TD]
[TD][email protected]
(715) 273-4249[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 03-28-2014, 05:52 PM

Try petfinder.com or search tonkinese rescue to see if you can find one nearer you. Also try the pure bred cat rescue site.

I found my Bengal cat on the Bengal cat rescue site. I drove 6 hrs and crossed 3 states to pick him up. He is in my avatar. We have been together 5 yrs now.

Often times if you can find the cat you are looking for on a rescue site, they have often times been rescued from breeders. If you do decide to buy from a breeder do your homework on the breeder. Check various websites for prices. When I was looking to get a Bengal cat, I talked to a couple of breeders first and a couple of them didn't seem up to par. They had used the cats for breeding purposes but had never tried socializing them & had kept them caged up. Be sure to talk with and check out any breeder you decide to use.

Good luck with your hunt for the perfect feline quilting buddy.

Last edited by Havplenty; 03-28-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the info on your cats - since I've been looking at so many on the internet now with all the different sites everyone has noted here, I see how folks can start hording cats - I want them all, (but won't be doing that) I'll be admiring from afar until I have my own new fur-baby.