Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Looking for a Tonkinese Cat to keep me company

Blog Entries

Looking for a Tonkinese Cat to keep me company

For some reason I think cats and quilters sort of just go together - that's why I decided to see if anyone on this great quilting board may know of someplace in Minnesota, or fairly close to the southeast corner of Minnesota where one may find a Tonkinese cat/kitten. I've seen them in pictures and read about the breed - some describe them as a cat that is about as close to a dog & monkey as you can get - sounds funny, but that and some of their other traits has me sold on wanting one to share my home and talk with after work . I've checked out our local pet rescue resources, and done some web searches, but have not found anything in my area - mostly east coast and west coast.
    If any of you quilters has a Tonk, maybe you could post a pic so everyone else can see how beautiful they are.
    Thank you!

Blog Entries
    We had a Tonkinese Cat. Our J.D. was 11 years old when we had to put him down. He was the sweetest cat we ever had. And yes, its true, he acted like a dog. He was waiting for me at the door when he heard the garage door open, laid down like a dog. We rescued him from a shelter in Alabama. I don't have a picture of him on my computer, but they are the most beautiful cats I've ever seen. Truly miss him!! Good luck on your search.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the reply - I knew someone on the board would know of them! As I have searched many of the sources on the internet, many are no longer breeding, or available to get info. from, so many are dead ends. This being the case I wonder what's involved with starting breeding once I finally get in touch with someone with cats...
    Last edited by pjnesler; 03-26-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    We had two Tonks.

The first was from the Pound. She was 2 and had beautiful blue eyes. She looked like a dark Siamese. We did not know what her breed was. At first we were worried that she would be a yowler like a Siamese, but she was very quiet.

Then we got Saboo. Saboo was a papered pure bread Tonk and looked exactly like Mitzie. He had quite the story. We got him when Vern died. Vern was a local Sheriff and was serving papers on someone. The cat was in the house he was serving and the kids were abusing the cat. After serving the papers he took the cat. The 'owner tried to use the registration papers to get the cat back (proof of ownership), but Vern just said no way.

Saboo and Mitzie both loved to snuggle under the covers. Saboo loved water and would get into the bath with me.

We generally look for mutt cats and dogs, but if I found another Tonk at a shelter I would get it, male or female.

One thing, they seem to be better as only cats. We had the Mitzie, then a mutt cat and she never liked the mutt. When Saboo came along he was okay withe mutt cat, but did not like Mitzie. Or that could just be who they were. We got both Tonks as adults.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Too bad you don't live closer you could have mine! She keeps getting 'threads, fringe' etc in her throat cuz she chews on my pillows, thread if she sneaks into my sewing room which I keep closed, and throw blankets. Kitty is our 2nd Tonk, our first was the very best cat we've had in 30 yrs of owning cats. Unfortunately my dd took her when she moved and didn't listen to us about keeping her in the house, she let her out and a coyote got her, I was livid, poor kitty.

there is a website, I think it is something like 'rescue me' where you can put what kind of cat or dog you are looking for and they will send you an email when the breed comes up for adoption.
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

i have also had Tonk's, a sister pair. that were taken from their mother too soon. They chewed sweaters etc. I was toldit was because they weren't really weaned when they were taken from mother and that this is a characteristic behavior of Tonks weaned early, so watch for that when you find one. Sounds like kitty in previous post may have same issue.
    or could be insatiably curious like my alaska ginger kitty.

We had a Tonkinese. Absolutely the best cat ever. He would "talk" to you and had the best temperament I have ever seen in a cat. We had to put him down when he was 20 y/o. We miss him greatly. Couldn't ask for a better pet.
    Leslie

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    From the pictures they are beautiful cats ...
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

We had a tonk that we rescued as an adult from a shelter - her name was Tipper. She was dark brown and had the most gorgeous aqua eyes. She demanded your attention and loved everyone. She was my quilting companion in the sewing room. She would sit on a cushion by the window but when she thought I had sewed enough, she would get in my lap and make me love on her. I miss Tipper everyday - she was like a dog in a cat's body. We had the privilege of having her in our lives for almost 3 years. We had to put her to sleep because she had a stroke and developed fluid around her heart. I am always on the lookout for another Tonk and would rescue one in a heartbeat if I found one locally. They are definitely people cats. Hope you can find one - they are AWESOME.
    "May the works of my hands be pleasing in Your sight, O God."
    From 'A Quilter's Prayer' by Patricia Hauze

I've never had a Tonk but do have a Rag Doll. She is just about perfect! She's gorgeous, fun, comes when I call (lid a dog), loves her toys (like a dog), and will even bring back a toy if I throw it. Only problem is she has really long hair and she'd puff balls of it! I shave her every so often so that helps a bit. Hubby claims to be allergic to her but lets her sleep on our bed...silly man. If and when the time comes I'll get another Rag Doll in a heartbeat!
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Blog Entries
    I had a tonk about 25 yrs ago, Tajmin, she was like dog. a great kitty. Maine Coons are like dog too, ck into them.
    good luck and be sure to show us a picture of your new little prince/princess.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I have a Russian blue, and like diannia cats, My ZOey is like a dog. plays with and fetches toys, waits at the door for daddy to return, sleeps with us, talks up a storem and has conversations with us, askes for things, treats and affection.

I honestly think it depends on how you raise your kitten. Although, rag dolls and maine coons are known for their affection. My Russian blue is the smartest cat I;ve had, I've loved all my cats like children, equally, the maine coon was my sons, but the cat I have now is definitely the smartest.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

We had our Ragdoll put to sleep a couple of months ago at 18 1/2. She was the best cat ever, even minded me. I think I'd never get another one just because I think I would always compare it to my Sophie. But maybe I should check into the Tonks.

www.petfinder.com is a website that is sort of a clearinghouse for rescued cats and dogs who currently live in rescues, foster homes or shelters. You can put in as much or little search info as you like, and see what you find. Age, gender, breed, how far you want to drive, etc. It's almost like a yard sale in that you never know who or what you might find! There are thousands of pets on here so hopefully you'll find your Tonk. Please try rescuing before you use a breeder, though. There are way too many good pets euthanized in America each day. Thanks, and Good Luck!!!!!
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

Petfinder.com is a great place to search. They list animals in shelters and rescue groups all over the country. You can search by breed and zip code. We found our Portuguese Water Dog mix on petfinder and I don't know if we could have found a better dog anywhere. They have a bunch of Tonks -- I just checked. Good luck to you in finding a new friend and giving a loving kitty a forever home.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Here is a Minnisota breeder:
    Minnesota
    Valori Trantanella Vitrina Greater Twin Cities area [email protected]
    (715) 273-4249
    Anne Freeman
    Hermon ME

Blog Entries
    Try petfinder.com or search tonkinese rescue to see if you can find one nearer you. Also try the pure bred cat rescue site.

I found my Bengal cat on the Bengal cat rescue site. I drove 6 hrs and crossed 3 states to pick him up. He is in my avatar. We have been together 5 yrs now.

Often times if you can find the cat you are looking for on a rescue site, they have often times been rescued from breeders. If you do decide to buy from a breeder do your homework on the breeder. Check various websites for prices. When I was looking to get a Bengal cat, I talked to a couple of breeders first and a couple of them didn't seem up to par. They had used the cats for breeding purposes but had never tried socializing them & had kept them caged up. Be sure to talk with and check out any breeder you decide to use.

Good luck with your hunt for the perfect feline quilting buddy.
    Last edited by Havplenty; 03-28-2014 at 05:56 PM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info on your cats - since I've been looking at so many on the internet now with all the different sites everyone has noted here, I see how folks can start hording cats - I want them all, (but won't be doing that) I'll be admiring from afar until I have my own new fur-baby.