Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lost 11 pounds in one week...for real >

Lost 11 pounds in one week...for real

Lost 11 pounds in one week...for real

Old 06-18-2011, 07:50 AM

Wonderful news. I'm no expert, but isn't brown sugar just sugar with molasses added to it?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:20 AM

Sounds like you have found your answer! Wishing you continued good luck!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 AM

Congratulations! Isn't it amazing what a small change can do for you? The dr. told my husband that if it is white, don't eat it, except for skim milk. The dr. forgot to tell him that chocolate ice cream is also a no-no!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:47 AM

I tried the ginger tea...about burned my innards out! I do use an ab-lounger as I cannot do sit ups due to a neck injury. I dropped 16 lbs the first 4 weeks but can't seem to take any more off. Have also gotten lazy about using the ab-lounger so that might have a lot to do with it.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:55 AM

Congratulations. I just found out my triglicerides had dropped 60 pts in my last exam! I had stopped eating sweets, only had red meat once a month and ate a lot of whole grains. It really helped me see I can do what's best for my health.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

I crave sugar like an alcoholic craves alcohol- I'm serious!!
Well about 3 years ago during a physical my liver enzymes were off the charts! I really freaked out being an RN and knowing what the levels meant.
I don't drink alcohol but my enzymes showed an alcoholic looking picture. My doctor knows I don't drink so he was floored! It was from all the assault from Coke, candy, you name it.
I IMMEDIATELY made changes and within 6 months my enzymes were all normal and of course I took weight off in the process.
I have a Coke once in a great while, same with candy, but I found that when I stopped the cravings stopped as well. I am not fanatical about it but eat lots more fruit and anything healthy now. I feel much better as well :)
Old 06-18-2011, 12:55 PM

I find the more you read up on stuff the better off you can be...I don't think Dr"s have all the answers....every body is different...
Old 06-18-2011, 01:06 PM

Have any of you read anything on agave nectar? I read that it was good as it didn't raise your glucose level. Then I read that it was worse than high fructose corn syrup! Any thoughts on this? BTwcongras to those of you that can get away from sugar. It's my biggest hangup.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ladyshuffler
I find the more you read up on stuff the better off you can be...I don't think Dr"s have all the answers....every body is different...
Amen to this. I follow a "Paleo" diet, which in short is no grains, no legumes, no dairy, and no refined sugars (honey and maple syrup are ok once in a while, in very small amounts). Most people get pretty bug-eyed when I describe it, but I'll be honest, I feel better now than I've ever felt in my life. I sleep better, my skin/hair/nails look better, and I feel more satisfied on less food than before. My boyfriend is a long-distance runner; when he switched over to Paleo, he almost immediately lost 10 nagging pounds he had been trying to drop for nearly a year, and he's running faster (and more injury-free!) now than he did 15 years ago. A friend also recently adopted a Paleo diet; after one week, his asthma was gone. Yet most doctors would be extremely worried about the things we eliminate from our diet.

I agree that doing your own homework and research can be a huge benefit. Weight loss and fitness aside, a dietary change can improve or eliminate an enormous number of health issues. It's really shocking just how many things food can affect.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:29 PM

good for you!
I believe that the more whole, natural, minimally processed the foods we eat the healthier we will be. It is so much harder to fix a broken body-like diabetes-than to make the wellness changes before :thumbup: :thumbup: