Lost Arts (and Crafts)

Old 07-28-2010, 03:58 AM

Oh my gosh at Grandmas house we used to cut out paper dolls. But we made our own from the catalog finding outfits we could cut out too. We glued them to lt wt cardboard with her bottle of Mucilage that golden colored glue in a bottle with an orange rubber top with a slit in it. You can still get paint by number, Walmart has a few. Grandma also had a can of wallpaper cleaner that was a lot like playdough I don't think playdough was invented yet. We made things with that too. And remember the regular kind of clay? Not playdough but it stayed soft. I know you can still buy it, I have some here someplace,
Old 07-28-2010, 05:45 AM

I remember shaving up the broken crayons and putting between two layers of wax paper and then ironing them with the iron. Made beautiful stained glass looking pieces.

We also laid a leaf on a piece of paper and then spattered with ink. Lifted up the leaf and had a work of art.

ahhhh the memories... :) :)
Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 AM
pal

Originally Posted by Up North
Oh my gosh at Grandmas house we used to cut out paper dolls. But we made our own from the catalog finding outfits we could cut out too. We glued them to lt wt cardboard with her bottle of Mucilage that golden colored glue in a bottle with an orange rubber top with a slit in it. You can still get paint by number, Walmart has a few. Grandma also had a can of wallpaper cleaner that was a lot like playdough I don't think playdough was invented yet. We made things with that too. And remember the regular kind of clay? Not playdough but it stayed soft. I know you can still buy it, I have some here someplace,
Weren't paper dolls great. I used to hold the clothes on using my Mom's bobbi pins. In the 40's most ladies wore their hair up or back (using bobbi pins) either because they worked in the factories during the war or because it was the style.

We also used to cut out rings and watches from the Sears catalogue and tape them on. We really believed that our "watches & rings" looked real.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 AM

Moms did pin curls with bobby pins too!!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:19 AM

and rags - softer to sleep on
but I don't know how to make rag ringlets
Old 07-28-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang
I wore long curls as a little girl and mom used the rag rollers too!! Then we graduated to the pink foam ones then those awful picky ones with the brushes in them!!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 AM
pal

Originally Posted by b.zang
I wore long curls as a little girl and mom used the rag rollers too!! Then we graduated to the pink foam ones then those awful picky ones with the brushes in them!!
Remember the pink rubber ones with the band that went across the top to hold the hair in?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:04 AM

I have not read all the posts here, but Tatting almost became a lost art. I learned how to tat in 1997 when a small group of ladies in the next town to me started a class at their library. A year later in (1997) a write-up was in our local paper. At their next meeting, the number of attendees doubled the number of members. There are several sites on the web that sell tatting supplies, books of patterns, etc. Tatting has even invaded the jewelry making field. One lady in our group made a quilt and decorated it with her tatting. It turned out beautifully. My first project was an edging that I sewed to a plain denim dress to change it from humdrum.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
How about macrame. I did a lot of it in the '70s.
Another thing you don't see anymore (not crafting related) is clothes hung outside on a line to dry. Mom didn't have a dryer, so everything got hung outside. I remember bring them in in the winter, and they'd be stiff as a board.
We don't have a dryer in the house where we spend the summers. I have two loads on the line now and really need to quit reading this site and go hang out the third load that is done.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:59 AM

Not an arts/crafts but I taught my DGD how to do Cat's cradle and braid dandelion crowns.