Lost Arts (and Crafts)

Old 07-24-2010, 05:34 AM

How about macrame. I did a lot of it in the '70s.
Another thing you don't see anymore (not crafting related) is clothes hung outside on a line to dry. Mom didn't have a dryer, so everything got hung outside. I remember bring them in in the winter, and they'd be stiff as a board.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
Another thing you don't see anymore (not crafting related) is clothes hung outside on a line to dry. Mom didn't have a dryer, so everything got hung outside. I remember bring them in in the winter, and they'd be stiff as a board.
Nothing better than several lines of cloth diapers freeze dried on the cloths line in winter!! And they bleached out so nice from that!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
I still have a macrame room divider UFO. All the cords are cut, large corks stained but I think the stained wooden frame and the little eye cord attachments was used for something else 35-40 years ago.

I admit I'm a throwback but I hang clothes on the line whenever I get a chance. Yesterday in fact. I love getting to go outside and hang them, love the smell when they come in. Nothing beats a sunny, breezy day.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:41 AM

The old onion skin for carbon copies is also obsolete. It is good for tracing patters for paper piecing. Sometimes you can get it at office supply stores, but it's not called onion skin any more.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:32 AM

I still hang out my clothes on a sunny day - but I live in the country. There are neighborhood associations I'v heard of that don't LET people hang their laundry out.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 AM

I am currently trying to teach a lady to Tat, I learned as part of home ec in high school and taught 4H we had so much fun. I also taught a group of ladies several years ago and one of their husbands also learned to do it. Once you get the hand of it it isn't hard. Look on line for some simple directions and take it one step at a time. It is a dying art!![/quote]

I do think tatting is a dying art as well. My grandmother taught me to sew, knit and crochet but we never got around to tatting. She could tat at the speed of light never looking down it seems. I wish I had learned from her before she passed away at 94.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:51 AM

I can tat without looking too. Just glancing to be sure picot are even. Blows peoples minds, especially the lady I am trying to teach, She told my son to tell me she needs more help knotting her thread!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I don't know the name of it, but the german paper cutting. I loved it! It stats with an "S". I found it on line, Scherenschnitte is the name of it.
p.s.) Hand embroidery is having a come back like quilting is. I hand embroider. It is so relaxing! My favorite patterns are from crabapple hill designs. They are on line if you want to see some of them. :~)
Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 AM

In our schools here we do not have Home Eq.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by patsyo56721
In our schools here we do not have Home Eq.
I don't think they have it here anymore either that was (Gulp) 40 years ago!! I even got to leave school and go to an elderly ladies house to learn!!