Lost Arts (and Crafts)

Old 07-24-2010, 08:22 AM

I think hand embroidery is making a comeback.
but with the schools not having home ec
I see so many that can't sew on a button or cook anything that doesn't require a mocrowave!

a few months ago my husband told a coworker we were having lasagna for dinner, he asked what restaurant we were going to!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:38 AM

Go to your hobby store that sells wooden pieces and they usually have egg shapes of varying sizes. Get one the size you like, sand it with very fine sand paper and either use a sealer or paint it with a high gloss laquer, may have to do 2 or 3 coats. I have one that one end is cut off so it stands and I am going to get a handle and use a double ended screw and connect the two together. My mom had a black one and I don't know whatever became of it, but it was a nice size and really slick.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:47 AM

For C. Cal Quilt gal:
Are you thinking of Artex paints? Came in a tube with a tip like a ball point. You still find some pillowcases with this on them at the thrift shops.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Leota
Penmanship education.
I did my Master's Thesis on the connection between brain development, literacy, and penmanship education.
And phonics, I imagine?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by FancyFoot
Originally Posted by katiebear1
I want to know how they keep them from falling down to their ankles
Originally Posted by Ms. Shawn
I VERY MUCH AGREE WITH THE PANTS PROBLEM :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
I ALWAYS TELL ANYONE TO (YOU NEED TO PULL UP YOUR PANTS) I GUESS I THINK IAM EVERYONES MOTHER :!: :mrgreen:
They walk funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And with one hand in a place I'd rather not see!!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:00 AM

Where can you find darning cotton/thread? I have not seen any for years. You can use embroidery thread, in exact colors, but I doubt that it would wear well. For the "darning egg" I have used a light bulb, size suitable for the project.

I well remember mimeograph stencils, taught typists how to do them, and personally cut many of them in my teaching (prior to 1970) and some since in office work during 1970s. Took good typing skills as each error had to be painted over with special fluid, then correctly typed. That ink was bad for clothes!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
How about macrame. I did a lot of it in the '70s.
Another thing you don't see anymore (not crafting related) is clothes hung outside on a line to dry. Mom didn't have a dryer, so everything got hung outside. I remember bring them in in the winter, and they'd be stiff as a board.
Nothing better than several lines of cloth diapers freeze dried on the cloths line in winter!! And they bleached out so nice from that!
Hi Donna: Was up in your neighborhood a week ago. DH and I volunteered as light house keepers in Cheyboygan at the front range light. Had dinner one evening with neighbors of yours, owners of Knaebe Orchards. Any chance you know them?

We met at Rosa's. Yum! After I ate my fill, there was enough left for DH and I for lunch the next day! Weather was glorious while we were there!

Found "The Fabric Stash" in Cheyboygan to be worth a visit if you haven't been there. Very nice owner and staff. Tell them "the light house lady from Kalamazoo says Hi". Oh, and the Big Dipper is a great old fashioned ice cream parlor. Penny in K'zoo.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 AM

We have good lines in the back of the property where we live in one of the one-story, 2-bdrm apartments. I am the only one who consistently dries clothes outside on the lines. Retired means that I can wash when it is reasonably nice to hang out. I was very pleased to find that one of my nieces (in her late 40s) wrote recently that one of the items that helped her decide on a place to live in a small town in south-eastern section of Montana: good clothese lines in the back yard!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
I don't know the name of it, but the german paper cutting. I loved it! It stats with an "S". I found it on line, Scherenschnitte is the name of it.
p.s.) Hand embroidery is having a come back like quilting is. I hand embroider. It is so relaxing! My favorite patterns are from crabapple hill designs. They are on line if you want to see some of them. :~)
I used to do Scherenschnitte about 15 yrs. ago. Still have the supplies around somewhere..... I do hand embroidery but especially love silk ribbon embroidery. Nice on very special baby things, like christening gowns or bonnets. Have been trying to learn to tat, with limited success. Need to really put my mind to it. Penny in K'zoo, MI
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 AM

mlaceruby: I taught my son to sew on buttons and how to iron. When he was in boot camp, the other soldiers would shines his boots or do other things for him if he would iron their uniforms - he did it so well. (He irons better than my daughter or daughter-in-law.)