Lost Arts (and Crafts)

Old 07-24-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
Penmanship education.
I did my Master's Thesis on the connection between brain development, literacy, and penmanship education.
They don't teach children cursive writing anymore.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:19 PM

I laughed at your post. I do know how to iron shirts, tho' don't do it too often anymore. I remember many mornings before school, pressing something I wanted to wear that day.

And cutting up chickens?? When I went to summer camp many moons ago, the counselor wanted us to cook chicken but didn't know what to do with a whole one, so I got to cut it up! Used to make the whole chicken dance on the cutting board and make my kids laugh.

We are losing a lot of our cultural history as the generations die off. I learned so much from my g'mothers and great g'mother. I try to pass on some of these gems to my grands so they will remember "what grandma taught me" when I'm gone.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Originally Posted by Leota
Penmanship education.
I did my Master's Thesis on the connection between brain development, literacy, and penmanship education.
They don't teach children cursive writing anymore.
I don't know about cursive writing, but they teach them to print in such a way that eventually, they just run the letters together and you have cursive writing.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by pgthom
I laughed at your post. I do know how to iron shirts, tho' don't do it too often anymore. I remember many mornings before school, pressing something I wanted to wear that day.

And cutting up chickens?? When I went to summer camp many moons ago, the counselor wanted us to cook chicken but didn't know what to do with a whole one, so I got to cut it up! Used to make the whole chicken dance on the cutting board and make my kids laugh.

We are losing a lot of our cultural history as the generations die off. I learned so much from my g'mothers and great g'mother. I try to pass on some of these gems to my grands so they will remember "what grandma taught me" when I'm gone.
I am glad that I thanked my mother once for teaching me those two things. She got kind of a quizzical look on her face when I did. She always saw the best in people and was hysterically gullible. I don't think it ever occurred to her that people didn't iron shirts or cut up whole chickens any more. She died about five years after that.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
I don't know the name of it, but the german paper cutting. I loved it! It stats with an "S". I found it on line, Scherenschnitte is the name of it.
p.s.) Hand embroidery is having a come back like quilting is. I hand embroider. It is so relaxing! My favorite patterns are from crabapple hill designs. They are on line if you want to see some of them. :~)
I still have a book with patterns for Scherensch............. made a lot when I was young.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:54 PM

My mom taught me to tat I mada a few things. When she died I took all her tatted doilies. looking through them to find a way to add them to a quilt, I found her and my tat bobbin with crochet cotton still still in it. No matter how hard I tried I could not fathom out how to do it again. think I will pick it up again in a few years..lol
Old 07-24-2010, 05:03 PM

I've been complimented on my cursive and used to do calligraphy as a paying hobby, but arthritis prevents that now. My mom taught me sewing, crocheting, embroidering, ironing, and cooking, and I am forever grateful. She darned socks and tatted, two things I don't do. I still use some of her embroidered pillow cases with hand-crocheted lace edgings and admire her ability to create such beauty with those fine threads (something I haven't been able to master!). Mom was one talented woman!
Old 07-24-2010, 05:04 PM

For tatting classes online check out http://www.georgiaseitz.com/
Old 07-24-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
I can tat without looking too. Just glancing to be sure picot are even. Blows peoples minds, especially the lady I am trying to teach, She told my son to tell me she needs more help knotting her thread!
I didn't need help knotting. Knots was all I could make. My mom tried teaching me, but as I said, all I made was knots. Wish now I had tried harder. I have all of her tatting shuttles and pieces of tatting that she was working on before passing on.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 PM

I wish I had listened when my dear Mom tried to teach me how to TAT. anyone out there still do it?

jacie