Lost Arts (and Crafts)

Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Doris Sumnicht
Another memory: Did your grandmother or mother collect Jewell-T serving dishes--cream color background, with heart shaped buds with brown, rosy pink, dark green leaves, orange and gold colors of the 1930s! I have had some reproduction pieces (one a commerative teapot with matching salt and pepper, 2002) while two sisters collected authenic pieces for a time. What about Watkins vanilla, sold through traveling sales representative? I would love to get another Fuller hair brush, sold the same way.

Watkins Extracts are still available. I ck'd and they are available on-line, but last year I saw them at the local Michael's craft store too...no postage (yea!).
Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Marge L.
Originally Posted by Up North
I can tat without looking too. Just glancing to be sure picot are even. Blows peoples minds, especially the lady I am trying to teach, She told my son to tell me she needs more help knotting her thread!
I didn't need help knotting. Knots was all I could make. My mom tried teaching me, but as I said, all I made was knots. Wish now I had tried harder. I have all of her tatting shuttles and pieces of tatting that she was working on before passing on.
Just try to do the "flip" further back, further away....you'll get it!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by jacie
I wish I had listened when my dear Mom tried to teach me how to TAT. anyone out there still do it?

jacie
Yep, and it IS making a come-back!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
How about shorthand? I regret not keeping up with it. So many times it would have come in handy for me.
I just showed my shorthand to my granddaughter yesterday. I mixed in one "regular" word, and asked if she could read it. She looked at me like I'd lost my mind...so I told her what it read. And showed her how QUICKLY a person could jot down notes, and accurately record the words. She was amazed. She thought that would be a good tool for school. Yes, we may have won a new convert...IF there are any old recordings out there for a person to use to build up speed!

:-D :-D
Old 07-24-2010, 09:19 PM

How about shorthand? I regret not keeping up with it. So many times it would have come in handy for me.
Oh! I do shorthand too. I used to take dictation at 120 wpm. I did it as a job for a long time. When I went back to school, I could write my lecture notes verbatim.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher
Oh! I do shorthand too. I used to take dictation at 120 wpm. I did it as a job for a long time. When I went back to school, I could write my lecture notes verbatim.
I still use it for all my "notes," because I'm LAZY! It is just easier.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by cimarron
Originally Posted by catrancher
I still use it for all my "notes," because I'm LAZY! It is just easier.
I used to write my Christmas list in shorthand and stick it to the refrigerator door with a magnet. I drove my kids crazy.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by pgthom
For C. Cal Quilt gal:
Are you thinking of Artex paints? Came in a tube with a tip like a ball point. You still find some pillowcases with this on them at the thrift shops.
It was also called something else. Let me think a minute and I'll remember. Lord, that was 45 years ago!!! Hummmmm, almost there......OK. give me a minute. It was liquid embroidery paint. Sorry, just can't think of the name. But I will, and then I'll put it here. It was indeed in little tubes with sort of ballpoints on them. My sister and I did them when we were teenagers. Usually for gifts. I'll think of it!!! :-)
Old 07-24-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by pgthom
For C. Cal Quilt gal:
Are you thinking of Artex paints? Came in a tube with a tip like a ball point. You still find some pillowcases with this on them at the thrift shops.
It was also called something else. Let me think a minute and I'll remember. Lord, that was 45 years ago!!! Hummmmm, almost there......OK. give me a minute. It was liquid embroidery paint. Sorry, just can't think of the name. But I will, and then I'll put it here. It was indeed in little tubes with sort of ballpoints on them. My sister and I did them when we were teenagers. Usually for gifts. I'll think of it!!! :-)
Herrschner's sells ball point paints like these in their catalog! I've been going to order them for my daughter. I loved using them when I was a teen :)
Old 07-24-2010, 09:34 PM

WooHoo!!! Am I the only one who still uses Gregg Shorthand??? Wow!!!! I treasure my shorthand. I use it in my job, still. There were many jobs I had that I didn't use it all the time, so I would take shorthand from TV dialog to keep my speed up. I learned it in high school from a wonderful little woman who was a perfectionist. Other people who know my version of shorthand can still read mine. I love knowing it....it makes other people gasp!!! :lol: :lol: