Lost Arts (and Crafts)

Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 PM

WOW......I have really enjoyed reading all the posts on this thread and remember so many of them.

I, too, took shorthand in high school but not sure I could do very well with it nowadays.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:37 PM

[quote=cimarron
Gregg Diamond Jubilee Series! You go girl!!![/quote]

Yes, Gregg Diamond Jubilee!!! You are absolutely right.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by cimarron
No matter how smart they make the computers...they'll never be able to do ALL we (FEMALE) humans do - simultaneously!
That's the truth...The Lord made us awesome multi-taskers so tht we could take care of babies, husbands and homes, all at the same time!!! LOL

They'd all be lost without us!!! And now it's all those plus jobs. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-24-2010, 11:21 PM

I still like to write letters and send cards by snail mail. I still make egg noodles for my soup with out a machine. Your right a lot of the arts have gone and a lot of other things. How many pay phones can you find?
Old 07-25-2010, 04:30 AM

I still peel potatoes and make my own hamburger patties! We use about 10 to 15 lbs of potatoes per week! I also cook from scratch, I am not that fond of most of the boxed meals! I do occasionally cheat but not for the most part. I Hate instant potatoes.

For tatting make sure you keep that shuttle thread tight after you make your stitch so it slides on the thread loop around your hand. Sometimes you have to kind of pop it or give it a tug, you will see the thread loop over the bottom thread. Clear as mud?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:12 AM

How about growing your own vegetables? Nothing beats a nice fresh tomato. I also agree with the art of cooking a nice meal (even just a simple one). I think we consider ourselves just too busy to do the things "old slow way".

When I was a Girl Scout leader I used the old Fox Fire books to find old ways of doing things. They are a great source of information on old arts and crafts.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

I just picked up some of the Fox Fire books at a garage sale! I really love them. I try to do alot of stuff the old way, we garden, and I love handwork!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Banned

Although this has nothing to do with quilting or anything like that.....But doing body work with Lead like they did in the old days. I still do it and I taught myself how to along with welding and fabricating body panels because you can not buy parts for certain cars anymore.

Also using an English Wheel to form panels along with plannishing hammers or a Pulmax. That is why when I do body work on a lot of the customs and hot rods I can charge anything I want because what I am doing is a lost and dying art form.

Anyone can smear Bondo on the side of a car but try putting molten metal on one......Separates the men from the boys!!

Billy
Old 07-25-2010, 09:22 AM

Billy as a kid WE used to help my dad melt lead and make fishing sinkers, also reloading shotgun shells and making homemade pop and beer!! Funny what your comment made me think of!!
Old 07-25-2010, 09:55 AM

long ago? I sorted all toll tickets for long distance calls at Ma Bell BY HAND. Operators would write the time the call started, and finished, and we would figure out the cost on a comptomator. remember any of this?
Jacie