Lost Arts (and Crafts)

Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 PM

I just found a darning egg at Lacis.com for about $4. I will keep that in mind...

PS - I picked up some sock yarn this past weekend. The yarn makes its own pattern when you knit it. I'm excited...
Old 07-25-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by pgthom
For C. Cal Quilt gal:
Are you thinking of Artex paints? Came in a tube with a tip like a ball point. You still find some pillowcases with this on them at the thrift shops.
That's what it was, was it also used with stencils and templates, maybe that was the same theory but a different item
Thanks for the reminder !!
:-D
Old 07-26-2010, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by pgthom
I laughed at your post. I do know how to iron shirts, tho' don't do it too often anymore. I remember many mornings before school, pressing something I wanted to wear that day.

And cutting up chickens?? When I went to summer camp many moons ago, the counselor wanted us to cook chicken but didn't know what to do with a whole one, so I got to cut it up! Used to make the whole chicken dance on the cutting board and make my kids laugh.

We are losing a lot of our cultural history as the generations die off. I learned so much from my g'mothers and great g'mother. I try to pass on some of these gems to my grands so they will remember "what grandma taught me" when I'm gone.
Well my stepson's other stepdad (man, we need new words for these relationships that are shorter!) owned a live poultry store in Jersey City and the boys learned how to kill and pluck chickens and turkeys. Something *I* never learned growing up, that's for sure.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by cimarron
Originally Posted by catrancher
Originally Posted by cimarron
Originally Posted by catrancher
Originally Posted by mzsooz
How about shorthand? I regret not keeping up with it. So many times it would have come in handy for me.
Oh! I do shorthand too. I used to take dictation at 120 wpm. I did it as a job for a long time. When I went back to school, I could write my lecture notes verbatim.
I still use it for all my "notes," because I'm LAZY! It is just easier.

I used to write my Christmas list in shorthand and stick it to the refrigerator door with a magnet. I drove my kids crazy.
GREAT! (LOL) My husband and I take notes in Services, etc. and he always asks me later, "What did you get down" on something or other... Sometimes he just hands me paper/pen and says for me to take the notes.
:?
Ha!!! That's funny!! My boss always looks at me when any meeting starts getting to the "To Do" assignments. That means, start writing!! :-)
I never learned shorthand, because I wanted to be an engineer when I was in high school (and didn't want to learn any "girly" stuff like home ec - which I learned at home anyway). But years at a computer workstation writing code and later technical writing has given me a very fast typing speed - fast enough to take minutes at the PTA meeting with my laptop - I manage to catch everything that's said, as long as there is only ONE conversation going on at a time!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:41 AM

I know 3 people who weave rugs
Old 07-26-2010, 06:01 AM

I wish I would have kept up my shorthand! I do have the books though if I ever had time to play with it again! Spend too much time on this board!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:15 AM

I remember the rag man coming up our small street to collect rags, old clothes for recycling for the war...We would open our 2nd floor window and throw out the stuff. Also putting a sign in the window if we needed oil or turning it over if we needed ice.
When the ice truck came and we were outside he'd give us a piece to eat. We would have to heat the water by lighting a pilot light in the burner in the kitchen.
Putting heavy irons on the old stove to heat it for ironing.
Putting those irons wrapped in towels under the covers to keep our feet warm at night.
Having 3 generations living in one house. Walking to school, walking home for lunch. Having a small grocery store and having them add up the prices on the brown paper bag.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
I want to know how they keep them from falling down to their ankles
Originally Posted by Ms. Shawn
I VERY MUCH AGREE WITH THE PANTS PROBLEM :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
I ALWAYS TELL ANYONE TO (YOU NEED TO PULL UP YOUR PANTS) I GUESS I THINK IAM EVERYONES MOTHER :!: :mrgreen:
I actually had a student whose pant fell down around his ankles. I pulled out the duct tape and fixed them for him. They were taped up under his armpits until he left my class. My rule was "I don't show you my underwear. Don't show me yours." Needless to say, I have used a LOT of duct tape over the years.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
Billy as a kid WE used to help my dad melt lead and make fishing sinkers, also reloading shotgun shells and making homemade pop and beer!! Funny what your comment made me think of!!
my husband still recycles lead and makes his own sinkers....ties flies, even makes some of his own lures. He is a "tinkerer" and comes up with all kind of things. :D
Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 PM

Do they still make 'paint-by-number' kits anymore? I remember enjoying that as a kid. And I loved to make impressions using magazines with heavy duty aluminum foil on top and a ball point pen. And paper dolls - I remember watching my Grandmother using tiny scissors to neatly cut out the clothes for me.