Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Loving This Upstate NY Rain! >

Loving This Upstate NY Rain!

Loving This Upstate NY Rain!

Old 08-25-2010, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by lisahughes0204
Jodie-He really does control all! :D We actually woke up to sunlight. :/ Not sure if this is a good thing though. I'm hoping that the sunlight doesn't heat up the early morning crisp air too much. It's perfect right now. I've already made my girls some skillet apples in custard and waiting to go apple picking to stock the freezer. Nothing like apple pies all winter to get you through the snow!
What are skillet apples?
Old 08-25-2010, 04:14 AM

My mom, stepdad, husband and I are going to the Adirondacks the first week of September, and all of your postings about the weather and the apples and the air and the smells are really getting me psyched up for the trip! I grew up in Plattsburgh; my dad was stationed at the Air Force base there, but I haven't been back since he retired in 1964. I remember trips to the Chazee (?) apple orchard, my mom would make and can applesauce, and it smelled so good! Might even make a side trip to Plattsburgh and go see my old school, Oak Street School. I know the base is closed now, but would love to see where we lived.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by kuntryquilter
Originally Posted by lisahughes0204
Jodie-He really does control all! :D We actually woke up to sunlight. :/ Not sure if this is a good thing though. I'm hoping that the sunlight doesn't heat up the early morning crisp air too much. It's perfect right now. I've already made my girls some skillet apples in custard and waiting to go apple picking to stock the freezer. Nothing like apple pies all winter to get you through the snow!
What are skillet apples?
Skillet apples are where you make up the base of the vanilla custard in a skillet, add apples that have been cored and cut in half and then let it simmer until the custard thickens and and the apples are tender. Then you serve the apples with the custard over top. :-)
Old 08-25-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Horsestitcher
We moved from upstate to TX ten years ago. What I miss the most is the farmstands in the fall, and NY State wines. I haven't had wine that tastes like NY wine since leaving. I'd give my left arm for some rain right now. We've been in the 100's for a few days and haven't seen rain in well over a month. But do I want to go back to NY? Not on your life.
Ohhh, the NY wines! :-D I love our reisling wines! Originally the grapes used to make reisling wines were only grown on this one river in Germany but New York is on the same latitude lines and has similiar weather so we're really the only ones who can mimick the reisling perfectly. I think I may have to pick up some apples and wine today while getting groceries! :D
Old 08-25-2010, 05:14 AM

So are the leaves turning already up there?
Old 08-25-2010, 05:38 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Maride
No fresh picked apples right at the orchard and no experimental donuts depending on which fruit is ready first.
What are these "experimental donuts"?

(I too enjoyed the rain... and so did the garden.)
Old 08-25-2010, 06:14 AM

I have noticed some slight color changes in the Southern Tier.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:33 AM

Oh!!!! Send some of that wonderful rain down Alabama way. It is so hot still here with temp in the triple digits for the past few days! Would love to have some soaking rain for a change. Can't wait until Winter!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:36 AM
TMK

Sorry but I feel draggy with these overcast, showery days along the boarder of NY. Right now In Chateaugay it is 60 and cloudy. Rained earlier. Have to admit Tupper Lake and Blue Mountain are pretty areas just very secluded.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 AM

This is a wonderful time in NY. I live in the Chautauqua area. The time is almost here for the harvesting of the grapes and we love to take a drive and smell the aromatic air from the grapes. I also love the cool air (really not looking forward to 6 feet of snow), the colors of the trees, warm smells from the kitchen, and the time to be doing what I want to do; lazy time of the year for me.
PS: I am 72 and retired. Now is my sewing months.