Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Loving This Upstate NY Rain! >

Loving This Upstate NY Rain!

Loving This Upstate NY Rain!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:54 PM

I grew up in Bainbridge NY (about 30 miles from Binghamton), went to college in Binghamton and Potsdam, lived in Syracuse right out of college, then in Southfields (just north of the Jersey border), then in Utica for 18 years. There are some things I miss about NY, but the endless gray skies in the fall and spring, and the lake effect snow in the winter (in Utica) are NOT those things. They are the reason I now live in Vail AZ - love the endless sunshine!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Originally Posted by Maride
No fresh picked apples right at the orchard and no experimental donuts depending on which fruit is ready first.
What are these "experimental donuts"?

(I too enjoyed the rain... and so did the garden.)
During pumpkin season they make pumpkin donuts, early in the summer they make strawberry donuts, raspberry donuts, blueberry, peach, you name it. whatever fruit is in season, they make donuts with them. My favorite is pumpkin, and I used to have them call me when they were making them. They also make pies and so many other goodies.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:12 PM

Ohh I need to know where the good Mexican restaurant is in Oswego!! Maybe we can meet up sometime for lunch. I'd love to meet some of my fellow upstate board members. I live over in Williamstown, but would happily drive to Oswego to meet some of you. Or for a good Mexican meal. LOL
I love our rainy days, as well as all our other days. The only season I hate is black fly season, cuz I'm allergic to the little critters so have to hide myself away from them. Long sleeves, socks over my cuffs, nets over my head. Oh, I'm a sight. And they still get at me. LOL. Makes it hard to get my gardening done in the spring. But for now, it's crisp days, cooler weather, colorful leaves and apples and grapes!!
I don't mind the snow, cuz I just stay in and sew and read till the roads are cleared again. It works great for me!!
Hugs and smiles for all my fellow Upstaters. And for all my fellow board members too.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Banned

I live in Oregon, and once in a while is OK, but we get far to much. God bless.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Ohh I need to know where the good Mexican restaurant is in Oswego!! Maybe we can meet up sometime for lunch. I'd love to meet some of my fellow upstate board members. I live over in Williamstown, but would happily drive to Oswego to meet some of you. Or for a good Mexican meal. LOL
I love our rainy days, as well as all our other days. The only season I hate is black fly season, cuz I'm allergic to the little critters so have to hide myself away from them. Long sleeves, socks over my cuffs, nets over my head. Oh, I'm a sight. And they still get at me. LOL. Makes it hard to get my gardening done in the spring. But for now, it's crisp days, cooler weather, colorful leaves and apples and grapes!!
I don't mind the snow, cuz I just stay in and sew and read till the roads are cleared again. It works great for me!!
Hugs and smiles for all my fellow Upstaters. And for all my fellow board members too.
Hello there! I'm about 15 minutes from Williamstown! :-) The restaurant is right on Bridge Street (the main road going into Oswego). If you know where the Joann's is, it's right on that main road, about half a block back towards Mexico, away from the college. It's really wonderful. As for the black flies, I completely understand. My youngest daughter is allergic to bug bites and feels it from Spring through Fall. She also has airborn allergies in the Spring and Fall, asthma in the Summer (really only affected by extreme temps changing) and in the winter she has a syndrome affected by the cold. But I think it all bothers me more than her, :lol: . She's a ray of sunshine through it all.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by genghis khan
For anyone who actually is in the syracuse area come by and visit the fabric shop, Feminine Touch Fabrics located at 519 w. fayette st. there is a big moving sale going on untill the 31st of august and good deals to be had.
Hmmmm, that's my wedding anniversary, :lol: , wonder if I can get hubby to consider that an anniversary treat?? :-D
Old 08-26-2010, 10:19 AM

Wish we had some of that nice rain here in Arizona
Old 08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Dee

I like the rain we've had. Cleans the air. Today the breeze was blowing the leaves and fall is in the air.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Dee

I like the rain we've had. Cleans the air. Today the breeze was blowing the leaves and fall is in the air.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
I grew up in Bainbridge NY (about 30 miles from Binghamton), went to college in Binghamton and Potsdam, lived in Syracuse right out of college, then in Southfields (just north of the Jersey border), then in Utica for 18 years. There are some things I miss about NY, but the endless gray skies in the fall and spring, and the lake effect snow in the winter (in Utica) are NOT those things. They are the reason I now live in Vail AZ - love the endless sunshine!
I grew up in Herkimer. When I was 14, my parents moved to So. Calif. I finally went back to Herk. after 45 yrs. and I really had forgotten how beautiful upstate is. So we have been back 4 times since and are going again in 2012 for a reunion. As a girl, I loved where I lived and the snow or head didn't bother me then. We are at 105 again today and I just stay in.