Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mailing fabric in manila envelopes. >

Mailing fabric in manila envelopes.

Mailing fabric in manila envelopes.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 AM

[quote=merridancer][quote=raedar63]
Originally Posted by DebraK
Originally Posted by AFQSinc
I use the white tyvek envelopes. They have some that are the size of a manila envelope and then others that have a pleat for extra thick items. I like them because they are very lightweight and super strong.

I have used manila envelopes in the past but I have found some of the thick manila envelopes can add an ounce or more to the weight so I changed to tyvek.
I agree, tyvek is great.
I got them free at the postoffice! Should have used one when I sent some quilting notions, rulers, cutters and fabrics to a friend in Malta. That time I used one of the padded envelopes. Nothing was in it when it arrived in Malta, torn and empty. I was devastated. Somebody got $300 worth of stuff.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:43 AM

8 oz. package sent FC = $2.56 postage +.10 envelope (poly mailer bought on Ebay) + .19 DC from postage online =$2.85 and I leave it in the mailbox for carrier to pick up.

Same item sent in the "free" PO tyvek envelope would be $4.80 to $5.83 (paid online).

I don't use PM unless it is over 13 ounces or it has been requested and paid for.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 AM

You can get a lot of packaging from the USPS. If you get a packaging that says priority mail, you can turn it inside out(sorry USPS) and send it first class or parcel post if you don't want to pay priority. There are ways to do it without paying an arm and leg for shipping.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mshollysd
You can get a lot of packaging from the USPS. If you get a packaging that says priority mail, you can turn it inside out(sorry USPS) and send it first class or parcel post if you don't want to pay priority. There are ways to do it without paying an arm and leg for shipping.
OOOOHHH - I am telling on YOU!!! Big NO-NO!! :wink:

Really, it isn't fair to the PO to misuse their priority packaging. And believe me, they KNOW when you are sending something in an inside-out or covered up PM box and they WILL charge Postage Due to the recipient. Not nice for the person who gets it.

They don't even want you to re-use PM packaging that has been used once already, unless it is to ship the next thing PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I've read a few posts say that they "got busted" for doing this.

Some of the boxes also have "priority mail" printed on the inside.

Even if the box has been used before, the "priority mail rate" will be charged.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 PM

If I mail anything in a manila envelope, I essentially rebuild it and completely cover all 4 edges with clear packing tape as well as the entire label and then just for good measure I wrap a couple of lengths around the envelope both ways. Plus I enclose in ziploc bag inside with address info. My first ebay order was a yrs worth of an older quilting magazine and he didn't reinforce the edges and half the magazines went bye-bye, he replaced them, of course, but I've never trusted manila envelopes again! If I can recycle a used Tyvek envelope I will, but I tape those suckers well as well. Tape is cheap enough and I swear the PO plays football with packages sometimes.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM

I have mailed many doll quilts in manila envelopes, with the little quilt safely tucked into a gallon size zip plastic bag with return address information "just in case". So far they have all made it safely to their destination, and I have received several sent prepared in the same way, and all made it safely.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
8 oz. package sent FC = $2.56 postage +.10 envelope (poly mailer bought on Ebay) + .19 DC from postage online =$2.85 and I leave it in the mailbox for carrier to pick up.

Same item sent in the "free" PO tyvek envelope would be $4.80 to $5.83 (paid online).

I don't use PM unless it is over 13 ounces or it has been requested and paid for.
I have been finding this out too. I am sending everything I can first class mail. I have a scale that makes it easier. I do find that if its a larger weight that fits in a PM box, the difference that PM cost over parcel post is worth it to me just for the fact that the boxes are free and they pick up.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:04 AM

Sorry I offended anyone.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
OOOOHHH - I am telling on YOU!!! Big NO-NO!! :wink:

Really, it isn't fair to the PO to misuse their priority packaging. And believe me, they KNOW when you are sending something in an inside-out or covered up PM box and they WILL charge Postage Due to the recipient. Not nice for the person who gets it.

They don't even want you to re-use PM packaging that has been used once already, unless it is to ship the next thing PM.
I know I end up throwing a lot of PM boxes out.