Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mailing fabric in manila envelopes. >

Mailing fabric in manila envelopes.

Mailing fabric in manila envelopes.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
I have found with manilla envelopes that arrive to me, cause I purchase a lot more then sell. They arrive soaked, torn and abused at good 80% of the time. I have had them arrive in those little sleeves, saying how much the post office cares, but they lost my item. But, here is the torn envelope.
Wow - 8 out of 10 packages arrive beat up?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:24 AM

Yep, I have finally come to where I email everyone I purchase from to package well when I do not know the individual I purchase from and ask for insurance. I have gone into the local post office and asked them what the deal was, and I get "well the sorting machine sometimes catches items. There is nothing we can do and we have no idea where that item might be" I was very very upset when I had purchased a bracelet and it was lost, it was insuranced, but I really wanted that bracelet.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:53 AM

I just got a huge catalog in the mail in a plastic container bag. It had been mangled badly but had a letter of apology from the USPS. It was also a catalog I'd tried to stop several times, one my DH had liked, but since he's been gone 4 years I don't want it.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Have any of you had issues using manila envelopes to mail fabric?
I usually use the Tyvek envelopes. I don't have the photo available, but you wouldn't believe what those envelopes can withstand. I had swapped a bunch of 12" blocks. When they were sent back they were in a ziploc freezer bag (thank goodness) inside the Tyvek envelope. It looked like somebody had dropped the envelope and about 15 semis had driven over it. The bag was torn and taped back together - do you know how hard it is to tear Tyvek? However, the fabrics were okay.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 PM

No problem that I'm aware of.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:17 PM

I have mailed tee shirts and everything you can think of and have never had any problems using manila envelopes.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM

The post office doesn't really take the time to care. They just slam our things through, so you need to take time to pack them carefully and include your shipping information in the package just in case it gets torn apart. I've seen some of the bad one, but most everything comes through fine. I wish I could afford the Tyvek envelops. I used to turn the priority and express ones inside out and use them, but the post office got smart to the deal and now they print on the inside, so that doesn't work. Sometimes, I've been know to put an item in a priority or express envelope and then put it in a regular envelope which will help withstand the abuse. You just have to make sure you wrap your books and fabrics in plastic to protect them.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by greenini
If I mail anything in a manila envelope, I essentially rebuild it and completely cover all 4 edges with clear packing tape as well as the entire label and then just for good measure I wrap a couple of lengths around the envelope both ways. Plus I enclose in ziploc bag inside with address info. My first ebay order was a yrs worth of an older quilting magazine and he didn't reinforce the edges and half the magazines went bye-bye, he replaced them, of course, but I've never trusted manila envelopes again! If I can recycle a used Tyvek envelope I will, but I tape those suckers well as well. Tape is cheap enough and I swear the PO plays football with packages sometimes.
Yep, that's what I do.
Almost Laminate it with clear tape.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

is this cheaper than a USPS envelope and do you think your method would make it to GB
Old 05-20-2011, 10:24 AM

I did receive an envelope that had gotten wet and was partially torn. The fabric was NOT wrapped in plastic, but luckily hadn't gotten harmed. So, putting the fabric in plastic would be a good idea.