Manners?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:31 AM

Always say thank you.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:37 AM

I agree a whole lot. I've taught my kids and we teach my grandkids to say thank you. They wouldn't think of getting up from the dinning room table without saying thank you for the meal. I told them it doesn't matter if you didn't like it but if someone makes the effort thank them. At work people get on the elevator and just say what floor, like it's your job. They don't say please or thank you nothing. I was in a bad mood one day and someone was being rude the way she barked out her floor # and I said Please, thank you very much and she just looked at me like it was a foreign language. Manners can make a difference in someone's day; even if you don't know them. I smile at everyone.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
Just taking a poll. Do you say "Thank you" to someone ahead of you if they hold the door open for you?

I teach my children to say it. However, we've noticed that very few people say "Thank you" these days.
Absolutely, I say thank you!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Times really are changing in a weird way. I am a little old grey haired lady who most people hold the door for me ,etc,etc. However, recently, due to a neurological problem, I have been using a cane. Suddenly, I have disappeared. Doors literally slam in my face. People rush past me nearly knocking me over. Yet, when I go without my cane, on my good days, the doors are held for me. What's up with this? I don't like what this portends!
This is where parents could really teach thier kids manners. If my kids saw you they'd offer to help; rather it was open the door or I've seen them go up and help elderly or handicap people load their groceries in thier cars, etc. I told them; one day that will be you and what goes around comes around and don't ever think it won't. My youngest is 22 and it's great to see them all helping others and even better when I see them teaching my grandkids the same way. God bless you and I hope you have more better days than bad days. I have back issues and it takes alot for me to use the handicap parking especially in a packed lot because I feel someone else will be worse off than I am and I know if I can hold onto a cart I'll be ok; I also never use any of the few scooters some of the stores have.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:53 AM

I always say thank you, with a smile, while making eye contact if I can.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I always do! Being polite matters~
Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 AM
Cyn

I Always say Thank you, You're welcome and Hello!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 AM

Certainly
Old 08-23-2011, 06:14 AM

Absolutely! Just because others have difficulty showing manners, is no excuse for me. :)
Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by litacats
funny you should ask that tonight.
I was at chicken treat and the young girl serving upset the man next to me because she didn't say thank you for his order or thank you when he paid for his meal. when ever she should have said thank you he said it for her (sarcasticly) it just went right over her head, he complained about the lack of manners in young people today. I must admit I said something to him to the affect that it is the person that trained her that should have taught her better but then the buck doesn't stop there why didn't her parents teach her manners. it doesn't cost a thing to be polite and people respect you more for being polite.
I agree it is nice to thank people in situations like that (and thank your servers when they bring your food to you, etc) but I also believe that pointing out rudeness by being rude yourself invalidates any point you were trying to make. They cancel each other out.

I am teaching my kids to say thank for for things, and you're welcome, etc. I took them trick-or-treating and when I prompted them to say thank you, the guy was like "Oh, don't worry about it, none of them say thank you anymore." And I know a kindergarten teacher who tries to teach her kids thank you and please and such, and then hears stories back from them that at home their parents make fun of them for trying to be all polite and fancy.