Manners?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:27 AM

Oh, yes, even for double doors ... they get 2 thank-yous. I also hold doors open for people. It amazes me how many people don't hold doors for the next person.

DH expects me to stop and wait at the door so he can open it for me and he gets grumpy if I don't. He also walks on the street side of the sidewalk and yanks me to his otherside if I walk on the street side LOL. I keep telling him that when I'm with a co-worker etc. they don't do that so I forget LOL.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

I definitely do. Manners were taught in my day and besides, it's the nice thing to do. i also hold doors open for everyone, men and children and women. not everyone appreciates it though i must say. odd but true.
p.s. i taught my son to walk on the street side when with a girl! or his MOM.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 AM

Yes, always
Old 08-23-2011, 08:24 AM

Yes, I do, and have taught my children to do so as well. They also address their elders as ma'am and sir. They do NOT address an adult by his or her first name until given permission by that adult, and then they say "miss" or "mister" in front of it. They give up their seats to anyone older - male or female - and take a place at the END of the line at church dinners and ladies meetings. At the ladies' meetings they hang around the door and offer to hang up jackets, or take them to the bedroom, whichever the hostess as indicated. These are the rules for the children in my home whether they are biological, adopted, fostered, or visiting schoolmates. Period. Thank You.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:27 AM

Absolutely, I have noticed that men or more likely to hold a door and say thank you than busy young Moms! Just my observation, no wonder that kids today don't.

Kids learn from example, we said "Tata", thank you, to Logan, my Grandson, even before he began to speak. Also God bless you, you're welcome, Please, etc.

He now talks up a storm and always uses all those phrases.

The other day, I sneezed, and from the other room, I heard, "Bless you, Nana". He's only 19 months old.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 AM

Absolutely! And I don't just "murmur" it, I say it loud and clear!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:03 AM

I always thank a person for doing a kind gesture. And I think it is important to give a thank you wave if someone lets you in in front of them in traffic.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

yes
Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 AM

Hi,
It is strange that you should post this, as a friend and I were talking about a situation only the other day. She owns a hairdressing salon, and she recently had an elderly customer who was chatting whilst having her hair done. She was telling how her husband - in his eighties - had held a door open for a yonger female - I won't call her a lady. !!! She looked at him and said " Don't you patronise me " - The poor old chap just burst into tears, bless him. It is a good job I wasn't there to hear that - I might just have had to have said something. She didn't know that man and he could have served in WW2 for this country. Also manners just aren't the same anymore I don't think.
DottyD.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:33 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I'm a proud momma... I'm complimented over an over again about her manners