Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: May Weight Loss

Quote Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
    I will try to get my fat (skinny) quarter in soon.

Where is everyone? lol...

We have some warm weather today. In the 80's.
    I am in again this month. I couldn't remember if I said that or not.
    I am out playing in my garden. I am harvesting the tail end of my spring garden, lots of beets, snow peas, snap peas, carrots, kale and some broccoli. The potatoes, garlic and onions are next.
    Anna Quilts

That all sounds so good! People are just starting to plant here. We can still get a freeze up until Memorial weekend so only the hardy things can go in earlier. I live in the woods so no veggie garden for me.

Congrats, JuneBillie! You did great!
    We don't plant anything here until Memorial Day, although many have seedlings started inside in April. The weather has suddenly turned springlike, so I'm itching to plant something, but...
    I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in Costa Rica! I'm so excited!

Blog Entries
    Oh I know many were doing great, so ok I am excited that I did well. I was happy to lose some at all than to gain. Thanks all for the congrats. Congrats to all that did so well. If you stayed the same you did well. Those of you out traveling, that is always more difficult. Pat I hope you are feeling a little stronger and less pain each day.

Now I hope we all can do well this month of May too.

Blog Entries
    I graduated from a walker to a cane yesterday. I am allowed to go for short walks now. Not sure how far I went yesterday but I went twice. Today I walked .4 mile. Not bad for 9 days after a total knee replacement. I went out to dinner with my sister and probably walked about the same distance to and from the car. Pain hasn' been bad at all. Most of my pain has been in my thigh muscle. The PT kinda laughs when I say that and says if you knew what they did to it in surgery you would know why. It is mostly just sore like i have worked out way too much. I have only taken Percocet 3 times since I left the hospital I think.
    I am trying to eat as best I can to heal better. I have been doing a little bit of cooking because my DH idea of cooking is McDonald, Fried chicken and pizza.
    Good luck to everyone.
    Pat

Good for you, Pat! Sounds like you are doing remarkably well.

Blog Entries
    I didn't see this till now. I would of joined but to late now. Hope you all do good.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

That's a bummer, Sandra. You can still join in for the month with the chitchat and inspiration. At the end of the month meanmom will post a link for June.

@Leann, I can't go on a road trip and do really well with eating, either. I tried one year for vacation. I was miserable and I think I gained about half a pound. I decided it wasn't worth it and I'd just be better before and after the trip. Plus, I get really grumpy if I'm on a road trip and can't nibble on what I want and people don't want to be around me!

I have been ravenous for the last couple of days. It's teacher appreciation week and our wonderful PTA set up a fruit stand for us this year. I have a nice bag of wonderful fruits on my desk to snack on tomorrow when I get hungry.

Pat, glad to hear that it sounds like you're doing well. Hope every day is a little better. Did you receive my FQs? I'm sorry, again, for being so late this time.

Blog Entries
    Yes Cindy A I received your FQ. I saw the doctor today and he was thrilled with how well I am doing. He removed my staples and I am allowed to drive as along as I'm not taking any pain meds. My DD is home from Florida for a visit and we went to the mall just for a little bit. Then the Dr and then I went to a retirement party. Numerous teachers and my favorite principal are retiring. I saw a lot of old friends and stayed a lot longer than I intended. I was on my feet too long and now I am really tired. It is amazing how tired surgery can make you. I would love a nap but it is way too late in the day for that. My knee is tired but feels ok. Tomorrow I am planning on sewing for a while. If my leg hangs down too long it swells. I will see how it goes. As long as I was on my feet today et the swelling isn't bad.
    Pat

I found that when I get late afternoon hunger pangs or just the munchies, I can drink a cup of black coffee or a cup of hot chicken broth and I am good to go till dinner. I was able to dodge the freshly baked brownies and the Panera baked goodies that some how showed up at the house. I also like to eat Mezzetta peperoncinis to meet some of my cravings. Anyone else have goodies that are low cal? My husband also buys me these tiny organic cherry tomatoes. I have them stand on the counter and munch on them when I feel like it.
    Anna Quilts

Braggs Apple Cider vinegar anyone? Am I the only crazy person that got convinced to drink this stuff to help control hunger pangs, blood sugar levels, and cholesterol levels. I know it sounds like snake oil or a cure all. It sure tastes bad to me but I am trying it, 2 TBS and a cup of water, first thing in the morning so it doesn't get diluted by any food in my stomach. It is supposedly also a probiotic.
    Anna Quilts

annaquilts, I only heard about drinking vinegar or diluted vinegar within the past year or so. I was a little confused about what I read regarding what the benefits are and what some people consider to be dangerous effects, especially if it's overdone. Let us know what you think of it and how you feel over time. Are you planning on drinking it every morning for weeks? Indefinitely? Good luck with it. I bet it does taste bad, but maybe you'll get used to it.

I'm giving myself this weekend off. I have two Mother's Day celebrations. I'll get back on track on Monday. The new yoga studio is about to open and I cannot wait! My back has slowly gotten worse since my regular place closed and I've not been good about stretching on my own. My favorite teacher is going to be teaching at the new studio, can't wait.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Cindy you are right. It tastes utterly disgusting. I did talk about it with my gastroenterologist and he suggested probiotic pills instead since the apple cider vinegar tastes so bad.

My kids informed me they have mother's day under control and they will be cooking and it will be within my calorie limits. So we will see. Tomorrow I have a tea with my two youngest daughters and grandma. It sounded like it will be more of a luncheon. I hope I will be "good" this weekend.
    Anna Quilts

Happy Saturday everyone!

Pat, it sounds like you are making wonderful progress. I am watching you closely since my surgeries are a month away. Your success does a lot to erode the apprehensions I have.

Oh and btw Pat, I tried to mail my skinnies to you but for some reason, our post office is closed today. They will go out on Monday for sure. (THAT isn't a holiday, is it?)

Cindy, I hate those days when I am starving or when nothing I eat satisfies me. I think you will return next week with a new determination after taking a few days off.

Anna, in the past, I have drank a cup of hot chocolate to chase away those hungries, but coffee and broth are great suggestions. I love cherry tomatoes - another tool in our arsenal. I have also done apple cider vinegar, but mostly for the health benefits. Must not have been very effective in suppressing my appetite or I would have stayed with it. How sweet of your daughters to honor you and help you at the same time. A couple of years ago, my son bought me a 5# bag of peanut M&M's for Mothers day - I asked him to never do that again. By the time I was done with that bag (took me a couple of months), I didn't wanna look at another piece!

Sandra, definitely hang around with us this month! We wanna get to know you better.

Pat, is it warming up in your part of the world? Hopefully no bad storms.

We drove home from Denver on Thursday - 15 hour drive. For some reason, riding in a car cripples me. I gingerly get out of the car, then stand for several minutes as I wait for my knees to join the rest of my body. My confusion-why doesn't this happen when I've been in bed all night? Having my knees in a semi-bent or bent position for more than an hour has to be the culprit. We got caught in some of the nasty storms rolling across Texas. I took my son back to Austin yesterday and my husband said he has never seen a storm like the one that hit - 2.5" of rain fell in 45 minutes. And I missed that! I luv luv luv the rain.

A very happy Mother's Day to you all. May you be surrounded by those you love!
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

Blog Entries
    Oh I love the cherry tomatoes.

Pat you do sound like you are doing well since your surgery.

My son is usually gone to South Carolina for the Joe Nall Annual Fly In during Mother's Day. He also takes the photographs for the magazine that covers it. The event is for those from all around the world that fly remote control planes. Many invest thousands of dollars on their hobby. These remote control planes are not the kiddie version. Anyway, he usually has us over for a special dinner and gifts when he and my daughter in law get back home. He usally combines it with my birthday which is this month also. We always have a great time. I am always happy on Mother's Day knowing he is enjoying himself, because he and my daughter in law are always so busy working.

I am trying to drink more water today.

Here is wishing all of you a wonderful Mother's Day.
    I will be thinking of my dear mother and mother in law who are here with us in heart and spirit.

Blog Entries
    Lynne are you having both knees done at the same time? I know some people do. I only had one done. I overdid it yesterday and am paying for it today. Nothing bad. I am just a little bit sore and overly tired. I was on my feet way too much yesterday. All of the nurses,PT's and others in the hospital all keep saying that my surgeon is who they would have operate on them. I have been so lazy all day. I have no energy. I still need to do my PT exercises. I also have a CPM (continuous passive motion machine) I am supposed to use 6 hours a day. It is getting really old. I am hoping when I go to PT on Tuesday I can stop using it. I know it is really good for my range of motion. I need to be able to bend my knee to 120 degrees to get rid of it. I am realy close. I was at 110 degrees last week.
    MY eating has not been very good. My granddaughter's first birthday party is tomorrow. My Japanese DIL will have so many gooies it will be insane. Then we have a party with my brothers and sisters and mom after that. It will be hard to behave. I WILL BEHAVE ON MONDAY!
    Pat

Hi Pat, I will be having a 'staged procedure'; right knee on Monday, left knee on Thursday, then I should be released on Tuesday. Did you have to do pre-op exercises? Those are taking me an hour each day, so I have decided to split them up over two days. Are you in the CPM all 6 hours, or can you break up the time? I am impressed that your pain level is so low. Best wishes for your PT visit this week.

Just a little curiousity survey - what is your favorite color in a quilt?
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

@Leann, color: my favorite color, in general, is green. But when it comes to quilts I enjoy everything!! I love using 'new' colors that I normally don't surround myself with. It's so nice to buy a piece of fabric that is a color I would never buy for something like curtains or clothing but am happy to work with when making quilts.

OK, back on track today before I have to buy a larger size of pants just to finish out the school year!!! Oatmeal for breakfast, lots of water today. Zumba tonight (dreading it, but it will be good for me).

Hello All!
    So glad to hear that you are doing so well Pat! I have been told that I need a knee replacement as well. But since I have so much trouble with a foot, I can't walk long enough to really get my knee pissed off enough to move ahead on that.
    I have been so very busy. I am on our Women's ministry team at our church. We decorated the church and provided snacks on Easter morning. I left that afternoon for 10 days for a trip to Texas to visit my husband's father. All my children and grands made it on that trip!
    Then we always do a big luncheon the Saturday one week before Mother's day. For that luncheon we hang quilts all over the auditorium as decoration. The quilts are then moved and hung the day before Mother's day to decorate the sanctuary. I had quilts to finish, food to cook, decorations to buy and planning details to work out. After cleaning up from the luncheon, we had a wedding that evening that my DH officiated. The next morning I had to provide breakfast for our Sunday School class (about 55 people) I did this with another gal on the ministry team. I was thoroughly exhausted!
    Then I had another queen size flannel quilt that I had started 12 years ago that I quilted and bound and turned in to be hung for yesterday. We also went down to OC to visit our mother's for Friday and Saturday.
    Oops got to go, grands just arrived

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

My goodness Gayle! I am exhausted just reading what you have been doing! My aunt always told me that a busy woman gets things done, which was why she was always calling on me! I am hopeful that talent will return once my bionic knees are set.

We are about to wash away here in central Texas, yet many areas are still in drought status. I think I'm gonna piece a Burgoyne Surrounded block this week. I've been cutting scraps into usable pieces - something I tried to do last year. It takes so much more time to piece that way.

Cindy, my fav is blue-green or maybe even a turquoise. I also like teal. That said, I don't have any of those colors in my fabric pantry, only a bunch of turquoise jelly fishies on a black background. Saving that for something special, I suppose. I can't bear to cut it.

Oh and Ms. Pat, I got my 3 skinnies in the mail to you this morning.
    Last edited by Leann; 05-11-2015 at 04:10 PM. Reason: grammar correction
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

Pat, good for you with the progress you are making with your new knee! Were you able to get rid of the bending machine?
    I like quilts with red in them. Also blues and greens - together or separate. Also teals and aquas. Ooh, a bit of yellow or orange really pops too. There's not much I don't like when color is involved!
    Boy, did it get cold here! I was pretty cold when I started my walk this afternoon but I was sweating by the end. I've been doing pretty good with walking lately. I think I've walked 18 miles in the last 8 days. I have a good friend/neighbor who has walked most of those with me. Now if I would just stop putting so much sugary foods in my mouth.

I like scrappy quilts and all kinds of colors except pink and white. I am also not big on quilts with just two or three fabrics or colors but might occasionally like two tone quilts especially if made with scrappies.
    Anna Quilts

Good evening everybody,
    Have not had a good day - eating is terrible. Makes me feel bad too. Will start fresh tomorrow.

Anna, my plan is to make all my next quilts from my scraps. After making 11 quilts last year for Christmas gifts, that pile exploded! Since everyone has a new quilt, I can take my time and make quilts to keep at home.
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

Quote Originally Posted by Leann View Post
    Good evening everybody,
    Have not had a good day - eating is terrible. Makes me feel bad too. Will start fresh tomorrow.

Anna, my plan is to make all my next quilts from my scraps. After making 11 quilts last year for Christmas gifts, that pile exploded! Since everyone has a new quilt, I can take my time and make quilts to keep at home.
    Hmmm...got to use that big pile of fabric I already got laying around. Fortunately I do like both designing scrappies and making them.
    Anna Quilts

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast