Mother's Day Plans/wishes

Old 05-05-2010, 06:33 AM

My younger daughter and family are coming to visit and my older lives a distance away but I know she always sends flowers when she can't visit. I will call my siblings to say "Hi" and remember our mother.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:41 AM

Depending on the weather, a 5 mile run before a big breakfast, then a bike ride, lunch and a nap.
If it's cold & wet, Big breakfast, Sunday paper, maybe a movie, nap.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:49 AM

My DD was going out to dinner for Mother's day...with her MIL...to an expensive restaurant. We were invited but declined because of the expensive restaurant and because the in-laws are non-faves. Now my DD has decided theycant afford the expense either. I was having my errant, bipolar grandaughter and her kids over for ham & mashed potatoes. Now DD is coming, too, so I will add blackeyed peas (to put on the mashed potatoes-don't scoff, its really good) and get my DD after all. I dont even mind being 2nd choice. Too much. Well... I am always glad to have her with us, whatever the occasion.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
Here are my roses to all the wonderful Mom's on this board.
Thanks Clem for the beautiful roses. Your yard must be beautiful.
My DD and SJL are taking their whole family (including me) on a cruise this month. I consider this a grand gift as I have never been on a cruise. We will be 15 going with the youngest being 3 and me being 83.
My DS's will be sending me cards with contents(lol) so I have a geat family.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:55 AM

jolo, Thank you . I was hoping the roses might be a little pick me up for everyone. I will share my rose story with all, but please don't think I am crazy!! When I was growing up, my parents had a spring blooming ( only bloom in the spring for a couple weeks)climbing rose, the palest pink petals and so wonderful smelling. Mom would make us corsages to wear to church on Mother's Day. Well, this rose we ( my sisters and I ) always refer to as "Dad's rose. The rose my parents had was started from a rose at my grandma's home. After Mom died, we all got a start of this rose, and I have made starts for all of my children as they bought their own homes. That's the background of my story. Now the crazy part!! Each year, as few days before Mom's death anniv., my first rose on that climber opens. Not to be unusual, it blooms in May. But, every summer on Dad's birthday , also the anniv. of his death, Aug 20th, I get another bloom! And as each of my siblings have died, it has seemed to be one more bloom added each Aug. during that same week, sometimes all at once,during the same week. I pretend to believe that they are saying hello to me. I know, that is crazy, but then again, who knows!! I always say hello to them, and when I am out pruning the very thorny branches back, I tell Dad I know why we called it his rose, it was because he probably hated those darn thorns and we remember his "commentting" to mom. After all, their start came from her mom's house.LOL Anyway, every Spring we watch for the first bloom, and every Aug. we watch for six of them to say hello and good-bye again.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:01 AM

I think it's a wonderful story and not crazy at all. I wish I would have thought to take some clippings from my mom's yard a few years ago when she sold her house and moved to a condo. Too late now, the buyers tore out all of her beautiful bushs, trees and flowers. So sad.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:19 AM

How beautiful, now I am crying. Say hello and I love you for me. Jolo
Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 AM

My kids took me on a roller coaster ride to hades four years ago, it's hard for me to get past that. I don't do mother's day, I told them we just aren't there yet.

I sent cards and gifts to my Mum and DH's Mum,and I'll spend the day with DH. It's become just another day for me.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:38 AM

What a wonderful gift it is to go on a cruise with loved ones. We have often talked of planning a holiday with all , but it never seems to be able to work out. Of course, not sure anyone place would be able to handle this group together. We do tend to get a little loud at times.LOL We have great fun here at home though. Every major holiday we spend together as a family. One son has a large pool and a wife who loves to entertain, so that is where we are for the warmer holidays, and the winter ones are still at my house. The kids all want to be "home" for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I love it that they do. I'm lucky that I don't have to share with any in law families!So, enjoy that cruise and if you get to shop in some exotic place, bring back pretty fabrics to show all of us.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:41 AM

All five grown children will come over,they spring clean gardens,plant veggies and flowers and cook food but best of all they bring my Grands (one GD and one GS)so I can play!!! Hubby always does for mothers day (he took on all 6 of us when we got married)Hes a keeper.They all are.He sent out my mothers gifts today (thread,fabric and more sewing do-hickies)Her birthday is the 10th,so its a double whammy for her.My MIL is no longer with us but she was the greatest!!