multi-cultural

Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
I THOUGHT that was your native language? In Lurkingdom? :mrgreen:
Yes, our language is Portuguese :lol:

By Portuguese I meant people living in Portugal.
There are several Portuguese speaking countries , based on the use of words native speakers can recognize where its from.

I believe its the same with English: the same in England, Canada, Australia, US, Scotland, etc with differences native speakers can spot even in a short sentence.

Its becoming common to find reference on textes whether it is "brazilian portuguese". I have mailed grammar books to people interested in learning "brazilian" portuguese before.

Almost every family in Brazil has relatives in Portugal and vice versa. My daughters are Brazilian and Portuguese citizens; their fatherīs family branch is from Portugal.

Well, this is a multi-cultural thread ... :lol:
Old 11-19-2009, 01:23 PM

How funny! My eldest son lived in Brasil for a few years. ( In Port Natal) He speaks Portuguese very well. I live in the Netherlands, my father is a German, did live for more than 25 years in Greece (he passed away a few years ago). My youngest brother is Greece to and my mother remarried with some one from Egypt when I was young and my best friend is Spanish..
How multiculti is that!

Yes Ligia, Sinterklaas did arrive from Spain in Holland again this year with his boat :) On 6 decembre he leave the country but before that children are every morning exiting to find some present in their shoe... Sinterklaas is on his horse when it is night, on the roof and he gives present to every good child. He has some helping hands...the called Zwarte PIet...(Black Pete). And the children love Sinterklaas so much!

http://www.dutchmarket.com/sklaas.html

Old 11-19-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Maksi
How funny! My eldest son lived in Brasil for a few years. ( In Port Natal) He speaks Portuguese very well. I live in the Netherlands, my father is a German, did live for more than 25 years in Greece (he passed away a few years ago). My youngest brother is Greece to and my mother remarried with some one from Egypt when I was young and my best friend is Spanish..
How multiculti is that!

Yes Ligia, Sinterklaas did arrive from Spain in Holland again this year with his boat :) On 6 decembre he leave the country but before that children are every morning exiting to find some present in their shoe... Sinterklaas is on his horse when it is night, on the roof and he gives present to every good child. He has some helping hands...the called Zwarte PIet...(Black Pete). And the children love Sinterklaas so much!

http://www.dutchmarket.com/sklaas.html

Small world :D !! Where are you ?

I already new about Sinterklaas but we met only last year ... :wink:
I took this pic of a detail of Bijenkorf neat decoration.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-908.jpe  
Old 11-20-2009, 12:36 AM
k3n
Power Poster

When were you in the Bijenkorf? I was there at the end of October and saw those decorations! Maybe we passed each other. :D

Interesting what you say about Portuguese - I can tell pretty much with written English if the person is British or American. Australian/ New Zealand is harder to spot because it's closer to British English. Canadian written, I can't really distinguish, but spoken I can, although I lived in Canada for a couple of years.

I have to say that you fooled me with your written English Ligia - at first I thought you were a native speaker! :D

I do find since I joined the Board that I've picked up a lot of Americanisms though! :shock: Batting instead of wadding, for example. BUT I still write 'centre', 'metre' and 'colour' even though my spell check underlines them in red! :lol:
Old 11-20-2009, 04:00 AM

Was up early this morning and found this thread.

Thanks for taking me around the world. I love to travel, but cannot afford to.

Never been out of the USA...well we did go to Victoria, Canada which I loved. Best vacation (and only vacation) we ever took.

Hope to see more pics. Thanks for sharing.