multi-cultural

Old 06-24-2009, 06:19 PM

Thanks to everyone who shared pics of where they live-I love it!!!! I have been fortuate enough to travel quite a bit with all of our moves, but there are still so many places I want to see----and this is such a great way to do it, because I am sure I will never make it to all these wonderful destinations.

I would post a pic too, but I just live in a plain old house in a plain old neighborhood in the middle of nowhere in a small nondiscript town. So, there is nothing great to see here.

I am looking forward to more pics on this thread and will check back often.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 PM

Marcia,

I'm pretty sure we all feel that way. We think our life is same old same old but the people on the other side of the world think their's is same old same old.

Let's see some pictures!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Just wanted to say that, Mary! What to you is normal, to me is exotic!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Just wanted to say that, Mary! What to you is normal, to me is exotic!

K,

Lovely house ! I´d like to live in a very small town .
I´m always interested in learning other uses , the hugs and kisses thingy surprised me as I never visited that part of France.
I love the way dutch put things - straight to the point , on the other hand they can take whatever one might say :roll:
I think they have a great sense of humour, dont you think ?

This (dormant) thread is sooo interesting ! :wink:
Old 11-18-2009, 12:45 PM

I'm from Pittsburgh, and we even have our own lingo from others in Pa. I say" Redd up" all the time and think nothing of it. Gum band is rubber band and in others states they call it elastic.
Originally Posted by kwhite
It took me a while when I moved to Pa to grasp the 'localisms" too. The first time DH wanted to "red up" I was furious. Told him he isn't painting anything in my house red. Then found out that means cleaning up. We had been married for 10 years and we moved here and his whole vocabulary changed over night.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Thought of something else - this thread is so interesting! If someone comes to the house - friend or family - and helps clear dishes or puts the kettle on or whatever, I LOVE it - so helpful etc... But Hans hates it and sees it as interference/ criticism that WE should be doing that! THAT'S typical Dutch versus English. :D
I doubt if that is very Dutch..in our house everyone helps cooking of making tea and find the cookies to put them on the table,...maybe this is very Hans instead of very Dutch?
But you are right that there are a lot of interesting differences...yeep Dutch people are very direct, that can get us in trouble, because for other people very direct is the same as very unpolite..We don't mean it that way.. Thats why you are also right that the binding factor is communication...

And what do you think about the Dutch and Belgium culture, or the French and the German culture??? So funny to see the differences... :D

(love this topic!)
Old 11-18-2009, 01:31 PM

It was nice to see this thread resurrected! I had forgotten about it, but always enjoy pictures of homes and sites. Even what we think of as ordinary IS exotic to someone else! This is a great geography/social studies site!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Maksi
Originally Posted by k3n
Thought of something else - this thread is so interesting! If someone comes to the house - friend or family - and helps clear dishes or puts the kettle on or whatever, I LOVE it - so helpful etc... But Hans hates it and sees it as interference/ criticism that WE should be doing that! THAT'S typical Dutch versus English. :D
I doubt if that is very Dutch..in our house everyone helps cooking of making tea and find the cookies to put them on the table,...maybe this is very Hans instead of very Dutch?

Think she said Hans hates when friend or family who are visitng help , and if I got it right, yes, its very Dutch.

I love spending vacations in the Nederlands - :-)
Old 11-18-2009, 01:57 PM

Ligia, Where do you go when you are on Holiday in the Netherlands? In wich place you stay or wich places do you like to visit? Maybe I can help to give you tips about some interesting places in the Netherlands. Where do you live?
Old 11-18-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Maksi
Ligia, Where do you go when you are on Holiday in the Netherlands? In wich place you stay or wich places do you like to visit? Maybe I can help to give you tips about some interesting places in the Netherlands. Where do you live?

Hi, Maksi,

When in the Netherlands I´m based in Amsterdam which I explore by tram,
by bus, by foot. Pitty I do not know how to ride a bike .. :oops: :oops:
I visited most of the country but Groningen and Maastrich , people
say I wont like those. Depending on the season, I see different things every time . Last year it was Sinter Klaas - love Piet ... Isn´t it funny that he lives ... in warm Spain ? :lol:
Going south - Brussels, Gent and Brugges for the "Saint-Sang"-
do you live in Belgium ?
Being interested in History , in Europe is where I find it.
I like visiting exhibitions, museums, old towns, cathedrals but most of all learn about
daily life.
Travelling really makes me happy ! :wink: