Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My Drug problem,  could it be yours too? !! >

My Drug problem, could it be yours too? !!

My Drug problem, could it be yours too? !!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by stchn4livn
Here is what just happened in my house. Last Friday my daughter(12 next month) was disrespectful, rude, disobeyed the sitter who happens to be my sister. She also hurt her feelings and was mean to the dog. I was at work when this happened. I found out the story two days later and grounded her from music, games, computer (not school work), made her write a letter of apology and the tv. So far everyone says that I should not have grounded her including my sister. And best of all they told her it was not fair. Tonight she did it to me and she will be punished in the morning when I am not angry. I did make her go to her room and aside from telling her she hurt my feelings I told her what I truely believe--
It is far easier to allow they to do and say as they please and it takes a parent who loves you to punish you and guide you to become a good person and one day a good parent. Far to many parents don't take the time and pain in the *** to teach and show their children right from wrong. Just my opinion--Katie
Unbelievable !!
Our son (then around 30) said something similar to our grandson once, along the lines of "you don't need to listen to Grampa". Our son ended up being booted out of the truck.
I think it was wrong of them to tell her it wasn't fair. It undermines your parental duties. I grounded my kids, took away their privileges and piled on extra chores. And I dared anyone to intervene.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Banned

yep I was druged and so were my children, as a matter of fact the oldest was druged so much that he still ducks his ear away from me if he is being a brat. God bless.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:39 PM

I work in a restaurant and I meet people of ALL ages who needed to be drugged.

I have those teens of today, who use the condiments as weapons, make a horrific mess, and don't tip. Then I have those respectful, polite, well brought up kids, who try to tip.

I have that 20 something group who cannot get off their phones and can't look at me when they order because they are too busy texting. They also expect me to be the one to bow to whatever they need to keep their kids quiet, so they can enjoy their meal...they show up completely unprepared to handle or dicipline their own children.

I see the 30ish gang who are on their phones and rudely indicate that I am interrupting them, when I simply introduce myself. I've seen whole families involved with their hand help electronics barely speak a word to each other throughout the meal.

The 40's group are worse than the 30s. They also think I should wait for them to answer their phones in the middle of taking their order.

The 50s group isn't so bad, but they bring in their ill behaved grandkids and think their disrespect is cute. However, they also interrupt what ever anyone else is ordering and try to decide what others should have.

The 60s+ groups are the best of all. Kind, polite, considerate, and even though they can be picky, they do it apologetically.

It's pretty obvious to me which group has the majority of being 'drugged' in their upbringing!

That said, each group has those few gems that I am thankful for.

I am 57, was a single mom, raised a single son by myself, he is now a Major in the Air Force, and he wasn't ever smacked, or grounded. He had to 'pay' for his transgressions by owning up to them and making things right and believe me, he got away with nothing. He is 35, still complains about the way he was brought up, but damn, I'm so proud of that kid, it is worth it! He went to a military academy (his choice) with over 4000 great kids, and a few bad apples.

We hear way too much about the bad apples and not nearly enough about some of the great kids we have out there, and there are plenty of them!

Diane
Old 10-07-2010, 12:37 AM

Good point and some years ago society thought it best to have a 'two income' family so mothers went to work. The kids were raised by others and only had a mother a few hours a day and then she was tired and preoccupied. Kids need a mother and a father who comes home who actually cares about his family. The family unit broke down years ago but darned if they don't have extraordinary houses, cars, clothes etc. The kids are a mess but hey, it seems like such a small price to pay.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 AM

Do they still have extraordinary houses, cars, and extras now with the down scaling of wages and jobs? We live a frugal lifestyle. The way we were brought up, and it works for us. We can buy my "drugs" without taking from the everyday expenses. My "drugs" of choice are fabrics, more fabrics, and machines. LOL
Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 AM

Have a friend who drug his kids to the yard to pick up rocks by the bucket when they misbehaved. How many buckets of rocks depended on how serious the misbehaver was !
Old 10-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by dharen7
My kids had the same drug problem when they grew up
Mine too, but one "fell off the wagon" I booted him right back on it....LOL
And not only Avoyelles Parish. I just shake my head at some things my great grands do.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:46 PM

I had the same "drug" problem growing up. When I was
pregnant with my first child, I bought and read Dr Spocks
book on how to raise children. After reading it, I decided
he was a nut spouting garbage, threw the book away and raised
by kids the same was I was raised. They turned out pretty
good too.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:26 PM

gee you gave me drug back flashes
Old 10-07-2010, 05:49 PM

I had that same kind of parents. I also raised my children the same way. But I have had some problems with grandchildren with talking back and disobaying. God help us all and their future. Gail