Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
my sewing machine saga  *grrrrr...* >

my sewing machine saga *grrrrr...*

my sewing machine saga *grrrrr...*

Old 02-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

That is horrible. The difficult person is not you. I would not accept that machine.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 PM

I know that I am unusual in my lack of apprehension about conflict, but I don't understand why you care about the owner and his opinion of you. You aren't inviting him for dinner or becoming his bridge partner - you are contracting with him for a product that you are paying for.

I would address directly with him the fact that he made an assumption about the type of customer you would be based on no information and that shows a striking lack of professionalism. I would be suspicious that he only wants to serve customers who don't have very high expectations. And I would certainly not do business with someone who shows such little respect for the customer - you.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
The man is a bully. I'd do a chargeback on my credit card for the full price, and then send him a check, minus the amount for shipping. He wants me to be difficult, I'm more than happy to oblige! ;)
I'm with you, who does this guy think he is? If he thought I was "difficult" before, he'd sure know it after!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I know that I am unusual in my lack of apprehension about conflict, but I don't understand why you care about the owner and his opinion of you. You aren't inviting him for dinner or becoming his bridge partner - you are contracting with him for a product that you are paying for.
I think I feel bad about complaining because Nice Guy kind of told me in confidence about what The Jerk said and he said "I knew you weren't like that, I went to bat for you." So if I make myself difficult, I feel like I'd be putting him in a bad position. But I guess you're right, I shouldn't really care.

As much as I would like to refuse shipping on the machine at this point, it would be self-defeating. I have had a quilt top waiting for three weeks and it needs to be quilted NOW. It is for a wonderful friend who has stage IV melanoma. He's far away and I want to be able to hug him any way I can. So I need the machine. That said, if it so much as hiccups one time it will be boxed up and sent back!! "Impossible to please" may have been a self-fulfilling prophecy. :twisted:

Incidentally, several people have PM'd to ask who this dealer is so as to avoid him. Is there a place on this board for reviews? Not just for this, of course, but in general I think it would be very helpful to be able to go to one place to look up a business or a product instead of having to blindly delve through the board via the search feature...
Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 AM

Hell hath no fury like a quilter scorned!! I would be tempted to cancel it before it arrives. I would have trouble refusing it, or having to return it. But after all they waited too long to ship it. He needs to understand, with the internet he is not the only game in town, oh! that's the world. We could all contact them about a machine. They would have no way of knowing we are connected, we live all over the world. The truth is that most of the machine probably came from China. :thumbup:
Old 02-25-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora
Hell hath no fury like a quilter scorned!! We could all contact them about a machine.
:lol: I LIKE this idea!! :twisted:
Old 02-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Banned

If you were close enough I would give you a machine to use until you could find another dealer to buy the machine that you really want. I think your a member on the NB also?!?

I had a supplier jerk me around onetime years ago about some parts that I was needing for a car I was trying to finish up for a customer. Said that the manufacturer was on back order and that he was waiting on the parts to come in. What he didnt know was that I am a part owner in a vintage Ford parts house and I had my partner call the supplier (the same supplier that the other guy used) and the lady asked how many we wanted. Needless to say never used him again and had the car finished by the GNRS.

Billy
Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
If you were close enough I would give you a machine to use until you could find another dealer to buy the machine that you really want. I think your a member on the NB also?!?

I had a supplier jerk me around onetime years ago about some parts that I was needing for a car I was trying to finish up for a customer. Said that the manufacturer was on back order and that he was waiting on the parts to come in. What he didnt know was that I am a part owner in a vintage Ford parts house and I had my partner call the supplier (the same supplier that the other guy used) and the lady asked how many we wanted. Needless to say never used him again and had the car finished by the GNRS.

Billy
That's sweet of you, Billy. :D And yup, I'm a member of the NB, though I haven't been hanging out there much recently. I recognized you from there, too.

Yeah, I don't know why people screw people over. Whether it is because they are plain mean or just out to make a quick buck, it is bad for business, particularly in the internet age.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by bibiche
I was told the owner had changed his mind and they wouldn't sell it to me after all. The guy I was working with said that the owner said that in his experience, people like me were "difficult customers" and "impossible to please" and he'd rather not deal with me.
As soon as I heard this I would have told the owner where he could stick the machine!! :evil:

This isnt the only machine in the world and will be damned if some fool would call me difficult. Cancel the sale get your money back and find another one some where else.

Billy
That's what I would do. In this economy (or anytime for that matter) I refuse to give my money to anyone who does not know the basics of good customer relations. And as far as the guy you worked with, he should NEVER have told you what the owner said. Seems to me he needs a reminder on just who puts the roof over his head and the food on his table. Sorry, but this kind of thing makes me nuts :evil: I'll get off of my soapbox now :oops:
Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 AM

In my opinion; since he already has you 'pegged' as a unsatisfied customer, I wouldn't be afraid of burning that bridge. ( of course I don't have a problem with making a bad impression...) I'd contact him and let him know I was contacting the BBB, and the local t.v 'trouble shooter' about his customer service ,the lapse in shipping, and the site being down, sounds like the citizens in your area need to be made aware of this guy ( she says... whipping up the mob....) how dare he vocalize that he thought you were trouble?!..... You'd be surprised how that changes someone's tune...