Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My veggie plot - summer is coming! >

My veggie plot - summer is coming!

My veggie plot - summer is coming!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 AM

c - tell uncle larry that there is nothing wrong with thick stems. sorry if he didn't learn that while in horticulture school.

t - yes, i do mean geraniums. not those stringy, weedy things, but the lush, vivid,thick-stemmed ones.

k - don't these women know anything? and where is your act opening? we'd all like to be there for the first night's performance.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing

k - don't these women know anything? and where is your act opening? we'd all like to be there for the first night's performance.

I'll get you front row seats as long as you all throw me PELARGONIUMS! :D

K x
Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM

you would definitely be worth throwing PELARGONIUMS at. maybe other things as well. (what else did you say you were growing? tomatoes?)

the men there could tuck $$$ into your geraniums, too!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:06 AM
k3n
Power Poster

you would definitely be worth throwing PELARGONIUMS at. maybe other things as well. (what else did you say you were growing? tomatoes?)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
but I'd prefer euros! or FQs!

K x
Old 05-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n

:lol: :lol: :lol:
but I'd prefer euros! or FQs!

K x
woo hoo...$$$'s and fat quarters...
good girls go to heaven,
dancers get to go shopping!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: (stir, stir, stir...LOL :wink: )
Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 AM

i put in my red geraniums this morning - two for each large pot - and filled in around the bottoms with dianthus. k used up all the marigolds. should be a pretty good show. the irises are about ready to open - the earliest ones are already opening. the lilies are full of buds. the azaleas and the rhododendron have opened or are ready to. the hydrangea and the bleeding hearts are ready. when i go away next week, i'll miss the best week of all, i think. maybe it will stay overcast and wait for me.

i pulled out a lot of plants that didn't achieve my expectations last year or became too aggressive. dh put in 3 kinds of tomatoes, eggplant, cukes, arugula, dill, fennel, chilis and green peppers, parsley, basil, mint, loose leaf lettuce, radishes, then pansys, nasturtiums (which are edible, k), swiss chard, more primrose, more columbine, more astilbes, more lilies, wave petunias, PERENNIAL GERANIUMS, ajuga, coreopsis, 2 lobelia, coleus, and some more. doesn't it sound like we have acres and acres? we have a bitty yard. one bitty in front, one bitty in back. we just created lots of borders and trellises. also, on the veggies, we just have one of each plant for the 2 of us. not like when we DID have lots of garden. when i come home i will post.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

woo hoo...I hope they wait on you, B,...want to see all the pretty stuff!
I just have the four pots, right now, some azaleas in the yard, we have had for years, and roses under the sycamore tree.
No veggie garden. Neither of us are physically up to it.
Can you believe doc put me temp. on 45mg. of iron, till labs come back, and nurse called, and said take 325! whew! no wonder k has to do all the dancing...I have to do all the blinking and nodding, lol.
Said I didn't know if my stomach could handle all that but I would start taking more.
Hope you have a nice trip, and thinking, maybe k should share some of those tips with us...after all, didn't we lend ourselves to the idea? royalties, k, royalties... :wink:
Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 PM
k3n
Power Poster

i put in my red geraniums this morning - two for each large pot - and filled in around the bottoms with dianthus. k used up all the marigolds. should be a pretty good show. the irises are about ready to open - the earliest ones are already opening. the lilies are full of buds. the azaleas and the rhododendron have opened or are ready to. the hydrangea and the bleeding hearts are ready. when i go away next week, i'll miss the best week of all, i think. maybe it will stay overcast and wait for me.

i pulled out a lot of plants that didn't achieve my expectations last year or became too aggressive. dh put in 3 kinds of tomatoes, eggplant, cukes, arugula, dill, fennel, chilis and green peppers, parsley, basil, mint, loose leaf lettuce, radishes, then pansys, nasturtiums (which are edible, k), swiss chard, more primrose, more columbine, more astilbes, more lilies, wave petunias, PERENNIAL GERANIUMS, ajuga, coreopsis, 2 lobelia, coleus, and some more. doesn't it sound like we have acres and acres? we have a bitty yard. one bitty in front, one bitty in back. we just created lots of borders and trellises. also, on the veggies, we just have one of each plant for the 2 of us. not like when we DID have lots of garden. when i come home i will post.
Oh, yes please, show us pics, it sounds wonderful! I did know about the nasturtiums, thay taste kind of peppery, don't they? I've used the flowers in salads before now; I grow them as a sacrificial crop because the black fly love them then leave my beans alone! But you don't want to eat them once they're covered in black fly! Unless you're short on protein, I guess!

K x
Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
Can you believe doc put me temp. on 45mg. of iron, till labs come back, and nurse called, and said take 325! whew! no wonder k has to do all the dancing...I have to do all the blinking and nodding, lol.
Said I didn't know if my stomach could handle all that but I would start taking more.
Hope you have a nice trip, and thinking, maybe k should share some of those tips with us...after all, didn't we lend ourselves to the idea? royalties, k, royalties... :wink:
I hope you have a nice trip too BW - going somewhere nice?

C - wow that's a lot of iron, hope you're ok on it.

And why do I have to do all the dancing and give you the tips? Oh, you're my AGENTS OK - so ten percent it is!

K x
Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
I hope you have a nice trip too BW - going somewhere nice?

C - wow that's a lot of iron, hope you're ok on it.

And why do I have to do all the dancing and give you the tips? Oh, you're my AGENTS OK - so ten percent it is!

K x
that's ten percent, a piece, right B? lol...hope them guys are good tippers, your fabs over there, are much pricier than ours.
Let's see, need a name for this act...how about Mary's Gold?
(every star needs a stage name! Ask Hans what he thinks of that! :wink: )