Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage!  How do you do it? >

Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage! How do you do it?

Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage! How do you do it?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Crabby Patty
The best advice my mom ever gave me is to never go to bed on an argument. If you're angry when you go to bed and one passes away in the night, you never get a chance to make up and it will haunt you forever. This has served me well for 40 years. Good luck.
Excellent advice. The only word I would add is respect. We have been married almost 35 years. Boy, writing it down sure makes it sound like a long, long time.
:-D
Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 PM

Also old my hubby that he could leave me but that I was coming with him. :lol:
Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 AM

We have been married for 37 years. It is too easy to get out of things these days. Almost every problem can be worked out if you really love the person you are with. Don't take the easy way out. Marriage requires a lot of work, but it is worth it. We always think that the good times outweigh the bad. Have a happy marriage! We have and it is worth it.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:53 AM
nab

My dh and I were married at age 18 (42 years ago). We spent our first 21 years of marriage with the US Army. We were very lucky because Vietnam was the only war he had to participate in. We had to depend on each other. Do not let anyone come between you. Especially not family. Treat the other as you want to be treated. Live by the Golden Rule. Be best friends, but give each other space to grow. Encourage each other to be the best they can be. Never say things you do not mean. If something is bothering you let the other one know. If you are the husband, don't always try to fix it. My DH went to a class a few years ago and learned this: Sometimes women just want to vent, not be told what she should or should not have done. Other times she wants you to help solve it. He now just asks me "Is this something you want me to fix or do you want me to just listen?" In my world it makes a difference. Try to look at things from the other's point-of-view, be nice to each other, talk to each other and keep your personnal life between you. Don't share it with friends. They always take sides and it never turns out well. Trust and take care of each other. Marriage is a precious gift. Live, Laugh, and Be Happy!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Married 38 1/2 yrs to the most caring man. He doesn't always say the I LOVE YOU's, he does other little things to show his affection. Keep the lines of communication open and as the minister that married us said "Don't ever go to bed angry at each other". Good luck on a long and happy marriage.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 PM

We've been married 57 years this September. Divorce--never Treat him like my best friend--no problems that way. Do things togther. And, it's not a me==me==world.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 PM

Read the book, Love Life for Every Married Couple (sorry, I can't figure out how to do italics!), by Ed Wheat. Those Biblical principles never age. I've been married forever, and picking the right man makes all the difference in the world! God bless you!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 PM

Talk to each other constantly. Be open and honest all the time. If something is bothering you talk it out before you just blow up. Works for us. ;) We have 5 children together and are going on 16 years! ;)
Old 07-19-2011, 12:58 PM

Sorry, Double post. :)

Oh, and I do agree about not sharing your problems with others. I did that before with my Mom and it was terrible. She held/still holds somewhat of a grudge......over 13 years later. :(

By the way you 2 are an adorable couple!! :)
Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 PM

trust and space !!! sometimes even tho we love to be together it helps to give some space sometimes