Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage!  How do you do it? >

Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage! How do you do it?

Need help on having a lasting and happy marriage! How do you do it?

Old 07-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

We couldn't afford the lawyer fees! And then there was who would get stuck with the kids!

Plus it's way too hard to catch and train a "new one" at this stage of life.

We've been married for 51 years.

I love him all the time. Most of the time I still like him.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:09 AM

Small stuff doesn't matter. Forgive, forgive, forgive. Compliment each other. Make the other know they are special to you. Don't take each other for granted. Please and thank you.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:09 AM

From someone who celebrated her 50th anniversary yesterday, my advice is to not sweat the small stuff. If you're good to each other and have respect for each other, all the rest will fall into place.

My husband and I are complete opposites, but we're best friends also and always have been. There definitely are days when we don't "like" each other, but we always "love" each other,whether it's said or not.

That said, I wish you many years of happiness.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:17 AM

I have only been married 6 years as of next week. BUT...my advice is for you as a wife. (but if you can get your husband to listen to it...all the better)
You know how when married girls get together, the conversation ends up on complaining about someones spouse? "My husband never picks up his socks...drives me crazy."
NEVER be tempted to get into that mindset! I was told never mention out loud your husbands faults no matter how minor. It makes you even more aware of that fault and breeds in you a mindset to look for more faults. (if it is something that makes you upset though...always talk to your husband about it. Don't let things fester! And never discuss these things in your bedroom...that room is for love and sleep only.)
Never EVER mention your husbands faults to another person. If I am conversing with a friend and they start complaining, I always respond with either trying to change the subject or with a quiet comment of praise for my husband. Not to belittle what they just said or be all "holier than thou", but to reinforce in my mind that I love my Husband...faults and all.
And NEVER EVER EVER mention a fault to another person with your husband present! That one is just common decency. :)
Sounds like you are going to be ok though! :)
(another thing that I was told before I got married was "Love is not an emotion...it is a decision you make every morning you wake up next to that person!")
Old 07-16-2011, 07:22 AM

Well, I was starting to read all the replies before I answered, but I don't have time. Looks like you need to print them out and write a book! Lots of good advice. I've been married to my best friend for nearly 38 years!!! Can't believe it has been that long. The years just fly. Divorce is not a word we ever use...not an option. There was a time when we were going through some tough stuff that if it were an option, we might have considered it. That was about 15 yrs. ago and I'm sooooo glad we stuck it out. It only got better after that. A study was done of couples who were in unhappy marriages. They checked on them 5 yrs. later. Those who split up, many were still unhappy or dissatisfied after 5 yrs. (even those who remarried.) Those who stuck together were much happier and satisfied with their lives and their marriages. Fighting the battles together and coming out on top only strengthens what you already have. Love is not a feeling, but a daily choice. Remember, you can't change the other person, but you can change yourself. I believe that putting God in the center of our marriage and taking time to pray together and worship together has also been a key to our success.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 AM

I'm on a second marriage - this one lasting 21 years thus far - and we have found that not doing every thing together works great. He has his interests, I have mine. That gives us something to talk about and have laughs over. If you are joined at the hip and have to do everything together, what is there to talk about while you are having your meals? Yes, we do things together but he gets to have his McDonald's coffee with the guys and I get to have my bridge games with the gals. He gets to putz out at his shop, I get to putz in my sewing room. Works.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:43 AM

My sweet hubby told me his job is to make me happy. Funny thing my job is to make him happy. With that said you understand all. We married in the spring of 1973. Love one another more everyday! My sweet hubby is a keeper and I plan to be the one to keep him!!

Blessings upon your marriage, love & friendship, everyone!!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:44 AM

treat each other as equals and be sure and tell the one you love that you love them, everyone needs to hear that, and a big hug and kiss every morning doesn't hurt either
Old 07-16-2011, 07:46 AM

PRAY---HARD,--REAL HARD!!!!! :roll: You two are a cute couple. Married 35 yrs to same old goat. :lol: Do pray for blessing for your marriage and life together. TALK, TRUST and RESPECT each other. BLESSINGS !!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:46 AM

My sweetheart and I will be married 50 yrs next month.God is still at the center of our marriage and we still try to out give the other one in every way.