New cook Top

Old 07-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Power Poster

I have the light gray color smooth top. Maytag 'guaranteed' the top not to show dark marks. The appliance manager assured me the stove top would not ever have black marks. Ha! That guarantee was all air. When dark marks showed up on mine I got the it's cosmetic and will not affect the cooking. I threw a fit with Maytag and the manager. Nope, not gonna honor the no mark guarantee. Maytag said the store should replace it, the manager said no Maytag should. I will never buy another Maytag product. When I'm in the store and see someone looking at the appliances I tell them about my experience. Everyone I told has passed on the sale and the store. The appliance manager should have given me a new cooktop for the business I have lost him. I smile when I walk in. I do have a great tip about the hot burner when you are done cooking. Keep a tea kettle of water on the stove and move it on the hot burner. It really absorbs the heat fast and no accidentally touching the hot burner.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have the light gray color smooth top. Maytag 'guaranteed' the top not to show dark marks. The appliance manager assured me the stove top would not ever have black marks. Ha! That guarantee was all air. When dark marks showed up on mine I got the it's cosmetic and will not affect the cooking. I threw a fit with Maytag and the manager. Nope, not gonna honor the no mark guarantee. Maytag said the store should replace it, the manager said no Maytag should. I will never buy another Maytag product. When I'm in the store and see someone looking at the appliances I tell them about my experience. Everyone I told has passed on the sale and the store. The appliance manager should have given me a new cooktop for the business I have lost him. I smile when I walk in. I do have a great tip about the hot burner when you are done cooking.[ Keep a tea kettle of water on the stove and move it on the hot burner. It really absorbs the heat fast and no accidentally touching the hot burner.]
great idea about the kettle. another idea. do not keep any heavy objects in the cabinets above/around the cook top. I dropped a can on my first top...it shattered it in a million pieces.
Lesson $350 for new top. would have been more but DH put it in. careful
Old 07-06-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I love mine but my hubby overheated the big front burner last year while I was in Ohio.It is permanently discolored....the rest I keep nice with soft scrub and windex..... :thumbup:
Mine are all like that. I didn't know what caused it.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
I have a black cooktop and made the mistake of buying a ceramic cleaner with conditioner. this leaves a film and I can write on it with my fingers. So I clean it then have to use a window cleaner to remove the film.
That film serves a purpose. If you leave it on there, your next spill is so much easier to clean off. We use Windex and a razor blade (if needed) to get the ceramic really clean and then "clean" it again with the filmy stuff.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:24 AM

I
Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
I have a black cooktop and made the mistake of buying a ceramic cleaner with conditioner. this leaves a film and I can write on it with my fingers. So I clean it then have to use a window cleaner to remove the film.
That film serves a purpose. If you leave it on there, your next spill is so much easier to clean off. We use Windex and a razor blade (if needed) to get the ceramic really clean and then "clean" it again with the filmy stuff.
I will leave it on next time..and try it. but it really doesnt look clean. thank you
Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

also need to know can i use my very old Corning Ware dishes on the cook top??? no aluminum pots though.
and men cook on high heat because they are always in a hurry, hence tail gateing cars, etc.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:04 AM

i don;t know about that. better check the instructions to be sure. but yet again someone will have the answer for you.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM

I've used corning pots - but some of their bottoms are not completely flat, so the contact with the surface of the stovetop is not very good. Even tho' they say NOT to use cast iron frying pans, DH does, but he doesn't use high heat, so it hasn't been a problem. I guess he's a rarity among men. Have I mentioned that he took over the cooking when he retired in '97?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

thanks,my hubby was the cook from 1980 when we got married until recently. so that was a help.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 PM

I have had mine for 11 years and it still looks like new. I wipe it off with dishcloth, and use a razor blade for spills. Then I use the cleaner, let it dry, and rub off with a dry paper towel to bring back the shine. I just use the cleaner once every week or so unless I make a big mess.
I also have one of those husbands who has one speed...fast! Luckily, he does very little cooking!