New Pots and Pans

Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM

Celphalon. I love my set, and it must be good because #2 DS (who's really picky about how he spends his money and loves to cook) also bought himself a set.

I also have a set of 18-8 ply stainless steel. The pots create such a vaccum when the top is left on and the heat is turned on that it acts like a pressure cooker.

Also have my old faithful cast iron pans...a must for good chicken and pork chops ... brown them and top them with whatever you choose and stick the whole thing in the oven.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:27 AM

I'm really, really old school. All my serious cookware is good old fashion cast iron. Frying pans (large/small), dutch oven, roaster, muffin pans, etc. Inherited some, some thrift shops/garage sales, etc. I never bought a new one so I've never had to cure one. Been accumulating them since the 1960s as a young bride. I do have a basic set of good stainless steel that I've had for years, but I rarely use any of them except the saucepans (small/large).
They hold heat, easy to clean, no worry about teflon flaking off, rarely does anything stick, no plastic handles to melt or crack.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:16 AM

They're not on your list but I fry/sautee/braise in cast iron. I have graduated sizes and a dutch oven. They're heavy as all get out but I love them. As a plus, they add iron to your diet.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 AM

It is hard for me to say that just one set of pans will be sufficient. I use an old cast iron for fried taters and onions. I use a tfal for fried eggs. I use stainless for boiling and steaming. Stainless will last forever if taken care of, but so expensive!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by frauhahn
I paid a lot of money for a good set of stainless steel pots and pans back in 1970. My mother told me that it was stupid to pay so much-I'd get bored with them. . .41 years later, their still in service, and look pretty good for their age-and I do a lot of cooking!!
We must have bought them from the same county fair person!! And my mom said the same thing, since I wasn't even married at the time. So she used them for a while; then I married and used them; now my kids are using them. I think the company is out of business now, but I sure would like some new ones!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:01 AM

I concur with Airwick... heavy-duty stainless. Do some research online about how much (if any) heavy-metal emissions they emit (see http://www.mercola.com). But the enamel-clad cast iron is excellent, too, if it's made in Holland, France, or Belgium. Avoid the Chinese stuff like the plague. It really depends on what you'll be cooking - each type of cookware has its merits.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:04 AM

I bought alot of the stainless pots and pans with the glass lids from TJ Max,I think they are Quisinart. I love them.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:08 AM

I just ordered the hard anodize and hoping to get them soon.Loved all the features about them. Pour spouts lids etc. Can't wait to get them
Old 06-11-2011, 05:27 AM

Hi Dawn,

You've gotten lots of good advice. I purchased a new set a month ago - I have always used Teflon, but went with Stainless. I bought a nice T Fall set and have been very happy with it - good luck with your purchase!!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:18 PM

Tramotina on Walmart website. $149. for set.