New Pots and Pans

Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 PM

Since my wife does the quilting I do the cooking. I have a glass top stove and I love porcelain with porcelain insides. There is an art to cooking with porcelain (do not get it too hot) but it is easy to clean up when finished. I got most of mine at Ross's and it is the Tivoli brand, I did get some odd stuff on ebay. . I also have a set of Faberware stainless steel without non stick and for the money it is well made (there is different quality of Faberware so be careful). I have a great stainless pasta pan and steamer I got a Wegamans and various other brand name pans I got at TJ Maxx. I have a handful of cast iron I use for breakfast. There are some wonderful pots and pans out there and I find you get what you pay for. I really do love to cook and have far too many pans for one man to have.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by DawnMarie View Post
I'm in the market for new pots and pans.
Does anyone know anything about the differences (good and bad) amongst Stainless Steel, Hard Andonized, and Porcelain Coated pans?
I just don't know what to get. I'm looking for the most durable and easiest to clean.
I have All-Clad 3 ply stainless--made in the USA!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:42 AM

I have the set of Farberware stainless I got back in 1974. Still looks good and cooks great. In the last couple of years I've added nonstick "green" pans with the nonstick caramic surface-they are absolutely fantastic-nothing sticks to them. I even got a roasting pan with this surface and it's amazing-nothing sticks to it.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 AM

Stainless steel - get a heavy grade or stuff will burn instead of simmer.

Hard Anodized - Caphalon is the most common and popular of this. Very expensive. Cook very nicely. I loved it, my Mom loved it. However, we have sold most of it now. Too heavy if you have wrist or serious arthritis problems. I also think the dark grey is ugly. There, I said it. Dark grey is depressing to look at on your stove. I prefer shiny stainless steel or vivid blue.

Porcelain coated pans - I've never used these, so can't tell you much, but if most of what you cook is tomato based, they are a better choice than the Caphalon. Tomatoes cooked down in Caphalon have a metallic taste. Until I lost my sense of smell, I hadn't noticed this. Now it overwhelms the flavor of the tomatoes.

As much as I've always wanted a matched set, I've bought 2 and find that only one or two pans work for me and I want something else for other stuff. However, if getting only one set, a heavyweight steel works very well.

Go ahead and laugh, but I primarily use cookware that dates from the 30s and 40s. It's not as heavyweight as Caphalon, but not prone to burning. Except for an omelet pan which is non-stick. However, it is not as heavy as the Caphalon. BTW, I don't like nonstick. Things don't brown right - it steams rather than crisps up unless you use high heat and of course, high heat affects the non-stick.