Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Non-quilt, Quilt Inspectors >

Non-quilt, Quilt Inspectors

Non-quilt, Quilt Inspectors

Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
I love em.... but not on my fabrics!

So what I do instead, is have 'kitty' quilts that I take downstairs, and use as covers over the furniture and chairs. They know which ones are the special layers of quilts/throws just for them to burrow and snuggle, curl up and snooze.
I don't mind my kitty being in my sewing room when I am in there but I don't want her laying up near my machines or on my fabrics when I am not in there. Like you, I have several "Blankies" in the livingroom for her to cuddle in. As I speak she is cuddled up on the couch sleeping. Anyway, My hubby built me a screen door for my sewing room. It keeps kitty out when I am not sewing but lets the a/c in. The a/c does not circulate well into that room with the solid door closed so we replaced it with my new screen door. Hubby even painted it pink to match everything in my sewing room, he even spray painted the screen pink too. My kitty sits and looks in there at times and meows at me. I know she is asking to go in there but....Oh well. Like you said I don't want her laying up on my fabrics...... :)
Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 AM

Roguequilter.... you do what you can, and manage the rest as best as you can. Good for you.

I am grateful that you've allowed such an abused animal into your home to desensitize, and grow more trusting. My husband and I do the same, depending on the situation. Right now, we have one small female (now spayed,etc.) that lives in our house, and won't let us touch her. She has learned in the last year to be comfortable around us... as long as we're about 4' away. lol. She may never get to the point where she's trusting enough to get in our laps. But last night, she jumped up into the bed while I was in it! I had three of the other cats with me, for a 'petting' session just prior to sleeping... and she just jumped up and sat on the farthest edge watching.

Sometimes one of the greatest 'gifts' ever... is to win the trust of a child or an animal.... of course, it's one of the greatest responsibilities too.

I think it's wonderful that so many quilters have cats/dogs/horses, etc. Besides petting our animals is good for us... it helps our blood pressure stay low after we see the 'newest' price increases on our fabrics!!!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Corry
My hubby built me a screen door for my sewing room. It keeps kitty out when I am not sewing but lets the a/c in. The a/c does not circulate well into that room with the solid door closed so we replaced it with my new screen door. Hubby even painted it pink to match everything in my sewing room, he even spray painted the screen pink too. My kitty sits and looks in there at times and meows at me. I know she is asking to go in there but....Oh well. Like you said I don't want her laying up on my fabrics...... :)
Corry, what a great idea! Sometimes, my husband and I will use plastic and net child gates. We have found several adjustable ones (Greco) at thrift stores. We put two up in the door way, with the top of the doorway having a horizontal gate. But the bottom 2/3 of the door way, we put a gate in VERTICALLY (so the rods run up and down instead). Just expand it to it's furthest width, rotate it 90 degrees, to do so. Then when we want to go in or out of the room, we loosen 1 vertical rod and swing it open like a door! Works great. The whole door way is 'gated' then, so the 'jumpers' can't jump up and over (and into the room). lol. Crafty buggers.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 PM

kwendt...yah...i know what you mean the trust of a child...had [unfortunately] contact w/abused children brought to our pediatric clinic at kaiser yrs ago by welfare agents...children chained to chairs..locked in closets..so much heartbrk...but after a few trips to us and the warmth and affection shown by staff....we even had one little one who eventually smiled and even spoke!

and then there are the animals. one of my cats is now 12yrs old...found when she was a couple of weeks old...couldn't walk...so weak...she is still not one that you can snuggle - unless it is her idea - you can't just bend down and pick her up...she runs. but she loves to quilt...and is quite insistent about digging under the hoop in my lap and snuggling down...she will even purr then...her name is squeakey...aka squirrely squeakey or black ghost...but she is one of my little loves...and i think she knows now that she is safe and loved till the end of her days...like the vet told us re: bopper...sometimes they never recover...but i can still give them lots of love and they appreciate it in thier way.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by roguequilter
you can't just bend down and pick her up...she runs. but she loves to quilt...and is quite insistent about digging under the hoop in my lap and snuggling down...she will even purr then...her name is squeakey...aka squirrely squeakey or black ghost...but she is one of my little loves...and i think she knows now that she is safe and loved till the end of her days...like the vet told us re: bopper...sometimes they never recover...but i can still give them lots of love and they appreciate it in thier way.
Nice!! Hey, it's 'safe' and warm in her snuggle-under-the-quilt-hoop-place! Squeakey is no dummy! lol. How wonderful.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 AM

Nice!! Hey, it's 'safe' and warm in her snuggle-under-the-quilt-hoop-place! Squeakey is no dummy! lol. How wonderful.[/quote]

LOLLOL...no she isn't...& lately the big guy [20# lst wk at vet visit] has decided that with the single digit cold outside and wet gray weather that he kinda likes this under the hoop thing too! hahah ...but he is a little large to sit on my lap...takes two arms around him to accomadate...but with quilt wrapped around him and a 'roof' over him he seems quite content...makes me feel honored that my big 'ol head hunter aka killer aka sherman [as in tank? no beloved son & favorite vet...just name that came to me] deigns to commit some of his time to keeping me company w/his warmth & prodigious purring ...when i know that he would really rather be out t-boning a jack rabbit and eating it's head...lollollollol