Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
November Weight Loss Challenge >

November Weight Loss Challenge

November Weight Loss Challenge

Old 11-16-2014, 06:58 PM

Let me know how the Synvisc works. My Rheumy was talking about it. Made a huge pot of roasted root veggies (brussel sprouts, parsnips, mushrooms, carrots, rutabaga, red onion, and a few small red potatoes) to nibble on all week. Love them and lucky for me no one else does. We are cold here...sweater weather and cuddling under a quilt time. Stay warm, my friends!
Old 11-17-2014, 03:10 PM

We got about 5 inches of snow last night. No school today:-) I had my dr appointment today for a synvisc-one shot. He also added some cortisone. The last 2 times he added cortisone I could hardly walk out of his office, but it was fine the next morning. It feels good this time. A little bit stiff but not sore. Hopefully it will ok tomorrow since we are going on a field trip with lots of walking. I have never had pain with the shot other than from the cortisone. It is going down to 10 tonight with windchill in the morning below zero. I will have to wear my heavy coat for bus duty. 30 minutes out in that is COLD.
I received a FQ yesterday from Raggiemom, very pretty. Pete what do you put on your roasted veggies? I am looking for different ideas. I love them. We had roasted brussel sprouts Sunday, with salmon. My DS loves them, DH won't eat them.
I made a purse for my mom for Christmas. I don't like how it came out. I can't decide if I should rip or just start over. I have enough fabric to make another. I was too frustrated to think about it the other night. Now that it has been in time out for a couple of days maybe I can stand to look at it again.
Pat
Old 11-18-2014, 10:26 AM

Wow!! I have been going non-stop for the last 2 weeks. Getting quilts done to donate, for gifts. Baby dedication, all kinds of family in town (which I had to drive 220 miles round trip to pick up) Fed my small group (16 people) dinner etc.... I am exhausted.
The weight is going up and down a pound or two. I am level, basically, from where I was on the 1st (I really need to lose more )
Got the fat quarters yesterday. They are beautiful!! thank you!
Ok, so now I'm off to run errands while the house gets cleaned

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 11-18-2014, 03:33 PM

I received 2 FQ today from Leann. Nov and Dec
Old 11-19-2014, 02:39 AM

Good morning,

JimsGem, I am exhausted to just read all that you have done.

meanmom, glad to see my FQs arrived safely. Be safe in all that snow.

Gonna do a 'reset' today to get my week on a better route. I have to rip out and re-piece a back. I took my kid back to campus last night, freeing me from keeping him fed. DH is not happy with me - I'm sure he will let me know what I've done that has him so bent out of shape.

And I simply can't believe that next week is Thanksgiving. I really do have so much to be thankful for!
Old 11-19-2014, 09:57 PM

I hope everyone's week is going well. I'm trying something different - ordered some organic vegetables online last week which are delivered right to my door, apparently they are harvested 1 day before delivery. Received my produce last Friday and I must say I was impressed by the variety, freshness and the friendliness of the founder of this enterprise - who also delivered my basket. This has forced me to eat more greens (I can't let them go bad, right?) and to try new recipes. Because being from Canada, I have never bought or eaten collard greens. I found what looked to be a great recipe called 'kickin collard greens', on the internet of course. But I got busy looking at photos on this QB (addictive!) and they burnt. Ooops. I tasted them anyway, and concluded that they would have been delicious had I not burned them. I could just tell, even though they were black, I could taste their potential yumminess.

My basket contained fresh lemongrass and thai basil. I've been using them to infuse my drinking water - it smells so fresh - makes me drink lots more water. And I made a chicken dish with the lemongrass as well - without burning it.

Have you ever had mandarine lemons? You all should give them a go. They are orange inside! And green outside. I never would have guessed they were lemons if I hadn't been told so. In my basket of goodness was also some lavender. No, not for making soap. Culinary lavender. So back to the internet, did a search on lemon and lavender together - and voila - lavender infused lemonade. Deeelicious. Probably not so good for the waistline (or in my case the butt-line) because there was a goodly amount of sugar in it. I've made 2 batches up already.

I also did something a little naughty with the kale. I'll tell you about that tomorrow.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:16 AM

Valerie, all those fresh local veggies and fruits sound amazing. And so exotic! I wouldn't know what to do with them either. We won't have any fresh local veggies here for 7 months. I'm sure you remember what that is like being from Canada. I read a book about a woman from the US moving to Panama and becoming a coffee farmer. Made me want to go visit there.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:01 AM

I'm back!! I missed this board while I was away! We went to California to for a wedding and then a trip to Disneyland. I tried really hard to stick to my diet but finally decided I couldn't keep it up while I was away. Especially after my first day in Disney, I was so tired! I needed carbs to get through it! I also struggled with our Halloween leftovers from our party. I made so much food and hardly any of it was touched. I was so worried what the scale would say when I got home but I was pleased to see I only went up a couple pounds. It's come back off already and I'm a smidge under my weigh in at the end of October. Thank goodness! Looking forward to being back on here regularly

Last edited by meganc731; 11-21-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:31 AM

Thought I'd drop in and see what was happening with you ladies. I am enjoying a "knock your fanny outta bed" thunderstorm at the moment, otherwise I'd be quilting. We may have these storms all day. I'm always WAY leery of having my sewing machine plugged in during storms. After lunch, I'll cut out my pillowcase pieces. I still have lots to do to be ready for Christmas.

I've had some progress this week - my machine will sew a straight stitch, so I've been quilting my son's queen size quilt. Also did a little piecing for my next quilt. My goal is to have my son's completely finished by Tuesday, when he comes home for Thanksgiving. I hate to rush through sewing down the binding, I love that part.

My eating could be much better, but I have cut back a lot. DH wants Subway for lunch, but then we will have fish and fresh green beans for dinner. His doctor put him on meds to control his blood pressure yesterday, so he has started re-thinking his eating.

Weight. My nemesis. Mindlessly piles on, takes diligence to remove it. Have a great weekend.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:37 PM

Today was the sale at my church. This is the first year they have rented tables to crafters. I sold most of my table runners and toppers. None of my 6 baby quilts and only 2 of the 16 burp cloths sold. At least I can use those as gifts some day. Last night while I was trying to hurry and finish the burp cloths my serger stopped serging. I don't have a clue how to fix it. Had to finish them with an edge stitch on my regular machine. Took forever!
I haven't been exercising. Last week I didn't earn any activity points. So bad. I think I'm going to stop going to WW since Allie is so disruptive by talking too loud. I have some friends taking classes at the Y. That probably wouldn't cost anymore than WW per month. They have a drop in nursery too.
Lynne, I hear you about the weight thing. You can work hard for a month and maybe lose 4 lbs. Then you can easily gain it back in one reckless weekend.