Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: October Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!!!

Thanks for the prayers, everyone. My sister seemed to be doing pretty good last night. I don't think it has really sunk in yet for her exactly what she did. Hopefully she got some counseling today. She had left a note for her daughter to find. She didn't see it before she left for work so her 2 1/2 and almost 4 yr old were left to their own devices all day tuesday. I guess they emptied all the spices onto the kitchen floor, pulled all the stuffing out of a couch cushion and spread it all over the house and ate a whole can of frosting. When my niece got home they were in the bathtub. I kind of wish I had a video of what all those 2 did all day.
    Tonight I hope to get a quilt block made. One of the gals who was in on the Ireland quilt just found out she has cancer. Another of the gals wants to make a quilt for her with heart blocks. I found a nice pattern to use so that is half the battle. Fabric won't be a problem.
    Here's a little tip I have been trying lately to cut out the night time snacking. I brush my teeth soon after supper is over. So far it working for me.

Great Tip Pam, seems we never want to ruin the feel of the fresh mouth. And, I'll help keep the prayer channel open to the man upstairs and send lots heavenward for your and your sister - and, of course for all our other friends who are hurting somehow.
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Blog Entries

Friday Frantics

Another week has gone by so quickly for us. Hope this will give you some cheer.
    Did you see who is on the cover of Women's Health with an aritcle about toning thighs. Now in my youth, I looked like that with my thighs, but after four children, four back injuries, and four surgeries, let us face it girls, she might not be as small either.
    This reminds me of last Saturday wherein I had the honor of finding a dress for my 17 year old daughter. She makes Milie Cyrus look a bit shameful. One can wear clothes and look fabulous instead of think they need to appease to the naked crowd. Not putting politics out there, just pointing out modesty is a virtue indeed.

So from the Weight Loss adventure, and you are all so smart in your eating habits, here is a quote of affirmation:

"If weight loss came in a pill, the list of side effects might include "May cause shortness of cash" and "Some users experience a loss of friendships." After all, that's what happens when you spend half a paycheck on healthy food and pass up happy-hour invites so you can avoid the bar snacks. And those side effects aren't just misery inducing, they're self-defeating too: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that people who turned these pitfalls into excuses were up to 76 percent less likely to lose weight than those who figured out ways around them. This advice will help you battle the bulge without missing a beat of your life."

Just thought it was comical how so many compromise what is really important to look like the cover of a magazine. Keep up the good fight girls, we can do this to be healthy and happy.

Last edited by QuilterMomma; 10-11-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Vanogay, love that quilt! You did a beautiful job on it.
    Pam H, been there done that. Sometimes the stresses of life get us in a dark place. Will pray for light in her heart and quality counseling to her. Peace be with her.
    CindyA many well prayers going your way.
    Irishrose, I am going to make some of that wonderful potatoe soup for the little one who is sick with the cold flu. She needs all the warmth to get her thru this. I have tomato soup request and chicken noodle homemade as well. I will be cooking tonight. Does that mean I won't have to all weekend then? Nothing like eating good soup to fill the soul and allow for lots of quilting.

I'm on Day 5 of a mean stomach bug. Can't eat and feeling lousy. I have a friend who is a doctor. He said there is a bug going around that takes almost 2 weeks to get over! I'm so ready for this to be over. I'm drinking water, eating some fruit when I can, crackers, and a little yogurt. Oh, and a little bit of soup from time to time. I pray none of you get this. Not doing much except sitting for a while and sleeping or just laying down. No vomiting, just the other, if you know what I mean. If I jump up out of my chair or the bed, my DH knows to clear me a path to the bathroom. haha

I still haven't sent in my FQ's for this time. I will try to do that by Monday.

Blog Entries
    Here is the baby quilt I just finished. It was for a customer. It is washed and delivered and I have been paid. She was thrilled with the quilt. I need to put the binding and label on my GS quilt then it will be finished. I need another baby quilt by mid NOvember. Not sure of the date of the shower yet. I have the fabric and know what I am going to do, unless I change my mind again before I start cutting.
    Teddybear I hope you get better soon. That sounds miserable. I went back to WW yesterday. I had only gained 1 pound since I was last there. I walked 2 miles today. I have not been walking lately either. My knees really need this weight off. I don't want to do a knee replacement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is SO cute!

Blog Entries
    Pat, the quilt is adorable. I have a friend who had a knee replacement 2 1/2 weeks ago. She sang in the choir today and is walking well and unassisted.

I had dinner in a roadhouse today with my son and his family. Service was terrible but the food was good. Our entertainment was watching him eat everything in sight - and he hasn't an ounce of fat on him. I think it's because he resets his metabolism every week by eating like this Sat evening and all day Sunday. Plus, males have it so easy with weight control.

My roofer comes early tomorrow morning. It will not be a quiet day. I see several dog walks in my future. The Siberian mix will not handle the confusion well. The Border Collie mix will want to protect from the intruders and she won't be able to see them so that will be interesting, too. Silly furgirls.

I have shrunk another 1 1/4", so I really need to get busy and get some of this weight off.

I AM losing weight and becoming healthier.

Blog Entries
    That is so adorable meanmom. Love it. Now that is what I call a cheerful baby quilt. Did you have a pattern or make it up? My girls aren't married yet, but that would be one to put on the bucket list for the Gbabies.
    I put on a couple of pounds this weekend. Not sure how, maybe all the yummy pumpkin cookies that were available. Daughter came home from college for weekend and went on a baking frenzie. They were so good. I did only eat the pumpkin cookies and not the chocolate chip cookies she made. I did cook chicken noodle soup, tomato soup (canned 7 quarts), six pints of berry zucchini jam, 8 half pints of raspberry zucchini jam, cut up my boom 10 blocks, worked on a runner, concluded dryer fried, cleaned up garden for winter, picked the pumpkin and squash, nursed a sick daughter, hooked up new computer router, embroidered 6 snowflakes for customer, embroidered on my polar fleece jacket, and still found some down time to relax. Life is good. Now to put exercise into my program and I should be good to go.

Hi ladies, sending prayers for the group. I've got a pretty good head cold and DH too. It came on fast yesterday so I hope I goes away just as fast. I had thought of bowing out of the group but you encourage me to keep trying. Cindy, I'll get the fabric in the mail. I'm working on a fall table runner and just need to finish the binding. Blessings
    countrymaid- I clean up after the kids, the husband and the farm animals

Blog Entries
    Hope everyone that is sick gets well soon. I feel a bit under the weather too, but probably due to stress. We had car trouble with our battery going dead when we were out. Got new battery, then got home, and had two flat tires. Husband is working on car so we can get to some places for what we need. Past two days I wasn't good on my eating due to the stress, but getting back with it. I am so sorry, but with all the car problems have not got my fat quarter off either, but hope to today. You WILL have it in time. lol.... At night I have been doing some more hand embroidery. It is so relaxing to me, and will be going toward some Christmas gifts. I plan to put some pieced blocks around some for wall hangings for some great nieces. One wants a clutch purse/billfold. I will attempt that soon. I will be kept quite busy just getting done the things for Christmas. Have a great week everyone, and prayers for those that are still sick.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

Blog Entries
    QM, your to-do and done list always makes me tired just reading it, but then I remember I could do that in a day when I was your age.

JuneBillie, we don't realize how dependent we are on our vehicles until they misbehave. Mine broke down and needed to be towed just after my husband died. Very inconvenient, but at least it waited after I off the road as he was hospitalized 50 miles away. Today it was power steering fluid, but no breakdown, just a teeny noise.

Countrymaid, I'm glad you stayed. I was late signing up being wishy washy, but I need to get serious again and being here helps. Cindy, I'll mail the FQ tomorrow - there's no mail today. Not blue, sorry, QM.

My roofers are here. Wow, the color intensifies when it is a large area as opposed to a small chip. Rustic Red painted steel is pretty, but 1900 square feet of it is intense. I'm so glad I like color. I sure hope my neighbors do, too. More than 1900 when you allow for the pitch.

If anyone is reading this Monday afternoon, add my son to your prayer list. He's 330 miles out from his work site and one of the truck's wheel assemblies is acting up. He just sold his truck with 330,000 miles on it to buy this one. Right now I bet he's wishing he was driving the first one.

I just had lunch - late but better than never. I had to take the dogs to a meeting with me. It's cool enough that they could stay in the car. Roofing is very noisy on this side and they are a little freaked at times. Drills, hammers, steel panels, 4 men tromping around, etc.

Have a nice clean eating day. That's what I want. I have so many fruits and veggies in the house and I want to concentrate on those and back off on my over consumption of sugar. Take care, y'all.

Blog Entries
    The quilt is called JUngle Friends by Willow Bay designs. I really like it and I am sure I will make another. I fused it and then machine appliqued. All of the fabric was from my stash except the borders.
    We had an in service day for trainings. We learned about ADD and ADHD this morning and spent all afternoon in training of what to do if there is a school shooter. Lots of good info that I wish I didn't need to know. They finally listened to us and actually gave us aides some training we can actually use. Usually if we get any training at all it is totally useless to us. They had donuts. They kept calling my name so I finally HAD to have one. I took one bite and threw it away. They always sound so good and smell so yummy but at least to me they really aren't that good. My friend laughed at me and then said she wished she had done the same thing. I knew if I took the whole donut back to the table with me I would pick on it until it was gone.
    I was babysitting my SIL dog all weekend and we went for several long walks. He is a very sweet dog. I am not really a dog person, more of a cat fan myself. I really need to walk more. Hope everyone is doing better . Healthy eating to all.
    I hope to finish my GS quilt tonight. The label is finished and the binding is made. I just need to put it on. It is a twin size quilt.

I am at a quilt retreat. So much food! So many snacks! A few of the snacks are even healthy. I am working on a scrappy purple heart quilt for my twin sister. Someone needs to show her she is loved and her kids certainly aren't doing that. I had asked all the retreaters to bring me any purple scraps they could part with so I have quite an assortment.

Meanmom, love your quilt!

Pam, hope your quilt turns out wonderful and that your sister realizes she is loved - and that is reason enough to live. My prayers are really with you. It is a long road to haul and the unfortunate part of it is that those of us on this side can't really heal those on the other side - they need to do that themselves. I spent many sleepless nights over it and honestly, still look and wonder sometimes if he is heading down that road again...Lots of prayers for you and sis.
    Kathleen

Didn't post a Teriffic Tuesday yet, so, guess the Teriffic Tuesday is KEEP - keep up the good work that we all know about and keep thinking positive thoughts about weight loss. Keep hydrated.
    Kathleen

CINDY - I'm sorry for any confusion. I told you I was "in" this month, but I just can't get the FQ and mail it. So, I'd like to continue being a part of this thread, but won't officially be in for the FQs. Hope this is ok, and I'm sorry.

I've been feeling better and pretty much back to normal. I do feel a little pressure in my sinuses at the moment. But hopefully a good night's sleep and that will go away.

We've had a few more doctor appointments and my mom officially starts radiation tomorrow. Even though her prognosis is very good this certainly is stressful. I've had to take time off work. Of course, I'm glad I can do this for her, but it only means that I have to bring plenty of things home and just do them on my own time. Which of course only adds to everything.

So, I lost a pound and that feels good! But I slid and had a few of the Halloween size candy bars. That doesn't feel good! I'm going to have to put that candy further away from me.

The weather is getting cooler here and I realize I've really slacked off on my water. I don't mind drinking it, I just tend to forget when the weather cools off.

Here's to good choices for the rest of today, and no midnight snacks.

Blog Entries
    We are have a luncheon Thursday at work. I am supposed to bring something wild. NOt sure what to make yet. Hopefully I can behave myself at the luncheon.

CindyA - you are welcome here no matter what. Everyone needs support.

haven't been around much, getting ready for mom's surgery.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Blog Entries
    Cindy my fat/skinny quarter is postal, and I am excited and waiting to see my newly won fabric. I am having fun making plans for it. Will post pics when it arrives.

My prayers are with you and your precious mom Cindy. It is a new challenge for many of us in helping our parents, in my case with the things that happen as they age.

We have been gone today, and car all fixed. I went last night with my precious dad to a revival that is held once per year in Jamestown Tn. It is called 'Mission Point Jubilee'. They are always sponsored by the local physicians, etc. They have great gospel singers, and me and dad heard the trio ' Greater Vision'. I got to hold dad's arm going in and coming out, because it is hard for him to walk and not fall.
    I would not let dad drive alone, but he insists on driving. He is 81. It was dark going up the hill to the place, and before I knew it dad drove us off the road into a hill. God was looking over us, because we are ok, and so is dad's car. (shook me up) After it was over dad wanted to get an ice cream cone at McDonald s (they are low calorie and low fat). Well, he turned off too quick and we started to go over a bank with those concrete things. I was fast enough this time to point it out to him. I am quite laid back in a car, but I am not going anywhere with dad again at night, and neither is he.

I received a package from my Cardiologist, and he had his nurse send me the full Dash Low Sodium Diet Plan. If I find any good tips to help us all out, I will post them if it's ok.

CindyA I am glad you are on the mend. It is always easy for us to slip, but that is why we are here. My prayers are with you and your mom. I can certainly understand the stress. Our weather is cooler too, and today a misty type rain. All the trees pretty different fall colors.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

JuneBillie, looking forward to your diet tips. I think we've heard so many of them - kinda like a buffet - which one to choose?!? Good luck with the new low sodium process and that in itself is a good tip - LIMIT THAT SALT...
    Kathleen

I stepped on the scales this morning and doing better than I thought. Cindy, fabric is ready for the mail. Tomorrow I'm going on a 3 shop hop. I signed up way last spring. We start at our home shop and spend the day escorted to the other shops where they will do lunch, then snack and back to home for supper. Lots of prizes and goodies so I'm told. I don't know any one else who is going but this was my treat to me and I'm just going to have a great day! I'll tell you all about it next week.
    countrymaid- I clean up after the kids, the husband and the farm animals

Blog Entries
    I started making a baby quilt a couple of evenings ago. It is a lot of curved piecing. I decided to put together one block tonight. I like the block but I'm not sure I like it for a baby quilt. It is also a pain to make and I need 12 of them. I need to rethink my design.
    We had a teacher luncheon today. Everyone brings things. LOts of yummy foods. I did OK with what I ate. I made a tiramisu. OMG was it good and it is gone so I didn't eat too much of it. I had a salad for dinner.

I've been slow about getting my FQ's together. I am finally over the stomach flu and will get my fabric in the post Friday or Saturday. Hope everyone is doing well.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast