Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
ok you computer people! Question... >

ok you computer people! Question...

ok you computer people! Question...

Old 06-30-2011, 04:08 AM

My family is a "Mac" family. We have four of them I think. But when I purchased an embroidery machine it required windows to transfer designs. I purchased a refurbished Laptop from Amazon.com for $150.00.

You should be able to find instructions online to clean out the hard drive and restore with your information. Or take both computers to a repair shop, they could do it also.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:31 AM

Try eBay or Craigs List for the same model, then just remove the hard drive from yours and install it into the "new" one. There's just a couple of screws that hold it in place. PM me if you need help swapping the drives! I do Helpdesk work 8-5!!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Why not just replace your faulty keyboard and bad hinge on the one you have? Seems to me that would be less trouble and expense.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:55 AM

Have you tried a local computer shop to cutre those problems? Sticking keys, screen hinges, etc can often be solved by cleaning and repair and that saves a ton of aggravation with trying to reinstall programs, etc.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:04 AM

you can but here is what I'm going to tell you... I'm an IT tech & dell certified. so you can get just the shell and move over the other parts of your laptop, however... It takes on minimum an hour to get to the motherboard to just take it out. and make sure you map out where everything came from. then you have to clean off the insulators from the chip and redo everything and if you ahve the slightest electrostatic charge you could fry the motherboard. not to mention the other boards in there.

I wouldn't recommend it. but if you want to just fix your laptop it would be alot easier to just get a new keyboard and a new monitor then you don't have to open the bottom up at all. that is an easy fix.

*** in addition, that laptop appears to an older model from 2006 you may want to look at getting a newer one as eventually there won't be any updates for your machine and that can cause you alot of headaches.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:26 AM

Your new computer will have soe kind of system installed on it but you can put anything on it after you get it. It will be windows 7 or something like that as its operating system.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:31 AM

Kim, IMHO, unless you know computer talk you need an operating system. If you think you don't even want windows try to go to MS DOS on your computer. The black side is what you get. If you don't have the correct address you don't go anywhere. The "c prompt "will run you crazy.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Banned

check ebay. Many sellers sell laptops for pretty cheap with no operating system or anything. You can take to a local computer repair guy and have yours transfered over. I have done this with mine and my daughters laptop. Check local area. We have a freelance guy and he only charged $50 to move everything including the operating system from my old laptop tp my new one. On my daughters he was able to just take here hard drive and install in new laptop. Mine was same thing, screen dying.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 AM

Subscribe to Carbonite.com or one of the other back up services. Tell them what you want to do...perhaps they can help. Then you also never have to worry about losing any information...they back it up eveytime you log on to the internet..you don't even know they are backing up.
Had computer go out....called them and they sent all the info. Thank goodness!
sounds like a new computer is in your future. If your problem could be dirt in your machine under the keyboard...and loosened screws on the screen portion.
Best Buy Geek Squad might be able to help.
D in TX
Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Walmart has a basic laptop, a real one, not the notebook, for $278 now. I bought one and it is nice. I put EQ7 on it and all my quilting files/programs and keep it in my sewing room to watch dvds or online quilt shows. If you have wireless it will import files from any other computer. I use Carbonite and recommend it to save so much frustration and hassle if you get a new computer and want your old files/pics/ on it from your old one.