Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Olympics

Completely enjoyed every moment of the Olympics! We have Dish TV so we had multiple channels and got to watch all kinds of coverage. Handball isn't at all what I thought it was! What a great game. Can't wait til the winter games!
    Dance like no one is watching....
    Quilt like there's no tomorrow....

Blog Entries
    I cannot agree with waiting for the end of the olympics , (each to own feelings) we were lucky here that we had 24 channels each covering one sport , and 24 HD channels doing the same from the BBC , and luckily no advertisement breaks , I could see why people would get sorta dissinterested when coverage is spoilt by them tho I never watch anything with breaks in it , I record using my TV or save also , and the voila !! no adverts

I loved the Olympics but wish there had been more coverage. Too many ads, too much break away time, and too much commentary. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that the athlete won the medal or didn't qualify, etc. Do they really need Al Michaels and his ilk to tell you that? The gymnastics, boxing, volleyball, swimmers, divers, all were awesome. The enthusiasm of the British people was wonderful to see. Thanks Great Britain for a wonderful Olympiad. GO USA! We are still #1!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraps View Post
    The self discipline and practice practice it takes is inspiring. To set any goal and achieve it is awesome. The Olympics are certainly more enjoyable than all the dirty politics. It is so good to see all the healthy, strong, self disciplined and confident people competing. I too prefer all the Olympics in one year - not two years apart for winter and summer. The stories of how some of the athletes reached the Olympics are just amazing stories. They have worked very hard.
    I so agree with you. Once every four years is just fine. I give credit to everyone who participated. Kudos to Horace Pistorius - he was great! I can't begin to imagine how many people he uplifted when he ran. It was awesome. I cannot imagine the pride his parents must have had seeing him run in the Olympics after having to make the decision they had to make. Unfortunately Bolt did absolutely nothing for me! Conceit, ego, not conducive to countries getting together in peace. Granted he didn't do very well the last couple of years, but that does not make him any better than the rest of them. I like to pick and choose my heroes of the Olympics. Our swimmers, our runners, our highboard diver (didn't even know what place he was in until he was told he had won the gold). I loved the little stories that came with each of them.
    Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I am a little sad that the Olympics are over. Not that I watched any of it, but now all the political ads and mud slinging will start in ernest. I would much rather have results from the Olympics on the news than the hate being thrown back and forth between the two running for president.
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
    I agree, too! What could be more inspiring for the youth of the world than to see young people who have worked so hard to achieve their goals? Forget the pros in the team sports, though they are fun to watch, because the Olympic rules are different than their pro rules.

In our house, virtually everything stops during the hours the Olympics are on. i have my laptop with me, so I can check out the QB during commercials! I am ready, however, to get back to my sewing room!
    Me, too! We've been hooked. Talk about reality TV! While I'm beginning to feel very old - we used to swoon over Mark Spitz - and now all those athletes could be my kids- I love to see how strong and accomplished they are. Admittedly I did tire of all the beach volleyball, though!

Actually I loved the coverage. But I assume if you are from Egland, the Olympics might have been too pervasive. NBC did a great job showing more than just a few high profile events. I do admire the dedication of the athletes it is just like quilters. Only hard work pays off. Well think about it it only comes every 4 years or every 2 if you count the winter Olympics. Enjoy your regained peace.

Blog Entries
    I'm conflicted about them ending. I truly miss my noon news but it also gave me something to watch when nothing else on the TV was worth my time. I loved the women's beach volleyball.

Banned
    I loved every minute of them
    London did a superior job - from the wonderful, imaginative Opening Ceremony to the Closing.
    Glad England took so many medals and placed third in medal count.
    My one disappointment is with NBC - I know the American National Anthem; in the old days the national anthem of gold winners was broadcast and it was wonderful to hear and see their flag.
    NBC went totally jingoistic, not to their credit.
    Everyone I know who watches the Games wants to see competitions, not listen to/watch Brokow and Costas talking to each other.
    That said, the games themselves were thrilling, especially gymnastics and the syncronized diving.

I watched very little of it, doesn't matter to me either way!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I haven't watched them 24/7, but I have enjoyed what I have seen. Many of these athletes are pure inspiration! They should be proud of all they have accomplished. Just getting to compete at the Olympic level is an honor. I look forward to seeing the winter Olympic's.

my comp is acting weird, but will try again. I got totally tired of volleyball and beach VB. What about the martial arts, shooting, archery and equistrian competitions. They work just as hard as anyone for thier craft. I know they aren't as popular as basketball, etc. but still would have like to see it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karate lady View Post
    my comp is acting weird, but will try again. I got totally tired of volleyball and beach VB. What about the martial arts, shooting, archery and equistrian competitions. They work just as hard as anyone for thier craft. I know they aren't as popular as basketball, etc. but still would have like to see it.
    Amen!!!! Love the equestrian events and they so sparsely covered and show at weird times too.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

I never ever watch them & really could care less. What bugs me the most is the has beens & never weres commentating over how somebody did & why they failed & what they could have done to have been better.
    Live everyday so that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says oh crap she's up.

Blog Entries
    I love the Olympics, just not necessarily the TV coverage.

I enjoyed many of the stories of triumph, but there were other bits I could easily have missed without a thought.

Did you see the Irish gymnast who was told (after two separate injuries) that he would never walk again? He recovered and got into the Olympics. Stories like that make it a must watch for me. Big egos stressing over how many golds they will get? Not so much.
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

I absolutely love the Olympics!!!! I so admire someone who has taken the time and patience to train that hard for all the years it takes to become that good. It is so inspiring to know that we still have so many young people who aspire to become champions, and not just do as little as possible to get by. Stories like the runner who broke his leg and still finished the race are just fantastic. Watching the special touches like the humor in the Canadian synchronized swimming routine was so delightful. The grace of the gymnastic athletes bowls me over. I think it is a time to celebrate the achievements of the human race. We can be great when we try. How wonderful to be reminded again!

I loved the Olympics. It gave me a reason to turn on the tv. Every year I find less and less worth watching.

Oh I love the game we only had it on 1 channel some of those guy blow me a way what they can do.

I love the Olympics! When I watch the young (and some not so young) competing, and think about the hours of practice they have put in and the sacrifices they and their families have made - well, it is just inspiring! "Regular" tv will always have reruns. There are no reruns for the Olympics. It is a time to watch and feel pride in our nation and our young people. I am glad the Winter and Summer Olympics are 2 years apart. That way I know I have some quality sports events to watch every 2 years. My 9 year old great niece watched a lot of the coverage with me. At one point she turned to me and said that even when they fell (gymnastics) or didn't do a perfect dive, they didn't give up and kept on trying. For that lesson alone, every minute of the Olympics was priceless!

I agree. Enjoyed much of the Olympics. Just really disappointed in the CreateTV recently. Can't find any quilting or painting shows or any of the other "creative" shows I used to watch. Seems it is all cooking, cooking, travel, cooking, cooking, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Not me! I have been glad to have something inspiring and decent to watch. There isn't a whole lot in the TV lineup that I watch. I am glad for the PBS, CreateTv and the News.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judys View Post
    I agree. Enjoyed much of the Olympics. Just really disappointed in the CreateTV recently. Can't find any quilting or painting shows or any of the other "creative" shows I used to watch. Seems it is all cooking, cooking, travel, cooking, cooking, etc.
    I can only watch quilting/sewing Mon thru Frid on Create and no other channels. It used to be Nancy Z one day, then fons and Porter and then Martha Pullman, now they've taken fons and porter off and put on sew easy so I'm not sure how I like it yet. They come on at 6 am and 12 noon which since I work I try to get the 6 am before I head out the door at 630. I hate weekends on Create because the whole weekend is the same thing over and over.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
    No, I'm not glad they're over. I haven't watched all of it but have enjoyed what I was able to see. I agree with some others, I'd rather watch Olympics than some of the junky t.v. shows that are on, and I'm definitely NOT looking forward to all the presidential election stuff that's going to be on US tv until November.
    Hey Cindy, I saw a thing on TV last night that Freezone is supposed to be airing alot of the Olympics. I want to check it out to see what I missed. I just down graded my Cox account because I'm tired of paying for a lot of junk to watch that just doesn't interest me. I'm so not into what a lot call reality TV; I'm not sure who's reality it is, not mine that's for sure. Now, I do love watching Biggest Loser because I know what that struggle is like and I like Project Runway, not sure if that qualifies as reality TV though. So not looking forward to TV leading up to Nov; I guess it's a good time to finish up Christmas gifts.
    Judy

I was thrilled to think the Summer Olympics were on. A well-needed break from all the horrible so-called reality shows. I didn't enjoy watching though. Seemed like something was terribly "off" with the coverage. Poor sound, very biased commentary, poor camera angles from NBC. Not enough human interest stories. Also there was something terribly grating about the color schemes at the different venues; bright pink and orange at the Gymnastics, etc. Too many spoilers long before the events were televised, i.e., via twitter, the web, and NBC itself. I will say the US Olympiads did their country proud and what a good looking bunch of young folks.

Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    Hey Cindy, I saw a thing on TV last night that Freezone is supposed to be airing alot of the Olympics. I want to check it out to see what I missed. I just down graded my Cox account because I'm tired of paying for a lot of junk to watch that just doesn't interest me. I'm so not into what a lot call reality TV; I'm not sure who's reality it is, not mine that's for sure. Now, I do love watching Biggest Loser because I know what that struggle is like and I like Project Runway, not sure if that qualifies as reality TV though. So not looking forward to TV leading up to Nov; I guess it's a good time to finish up Christmas gifts.
    Thanks for the head's up, Judy. I'll look for it, too.
    Cindy

I love te Olympics but donot like when they post on your Yahoo homepage the results before you can see it. Also with the news, they just spoil the fun.

Now my HUGE peeve about the Olympics, well not the Olympics but the uniforms Ralph Loren did for them...the ugliest I have every seen and just where does he show the colors of our coountry? At the closing ceremonies I asked my DH now just where does that say USA? Oh yes on the hat a tiny very tiny patch that just said USA. the only uniforms that were truly showed that this was an American were the ones Nike did! Did you see the wrestling ones, they were great!

And they are going to let him do it again next time? I sure hope they vote that out...get rid of that huge pony logo of his...for heavens sake this is our American team not his!

Off my block now and back on my spot...lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast