Opinions please

Old 09-20-2011, 03:33 PM

If you don't have a lot of visitor's I'd say go for it, besides like others have said its your house. I have a couple of friends that their living/family room is downstairs and the space upstairs is used for other things.

Right now my dining room table is my work space for cutting, we don't do alot with company either. Were in the process of renovating the office area upstairs into a quilting room for me. That area gets the best sunlight all day and it has a big window to let the light in.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 PM

My husband said that I could have the Master Bedroom for a sewing room if I wanted but...he is a clothes horse and won't give up the master bedroom closet!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 PM

You Go Girl!!!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:52 PM

We converted our unused living room into my sewing room. We have a large family room and that is where we always spend our evenings. I just love my new sewing room!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:56 PM

My living room, which is where the front door is, has a tv, a couch, four dog crates and some tables with Santas on them. At Christmas, we put a big tree up in there. I am looking for a way to move my sewing in there, or least set up a bigger cutting, storage area.

It's just the two of us and the four doxies. We live back in the family room, which is a lot bigger than the living room, which isn't small either. Why not actually USE THE SPACE?

Go for it.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 PM

Your idea sound great. I sew in the kitchen, have quilting material in the garage, on the dining room table and, upstair in two bedroom and in the pantry. Sometimes it is like an egg hunt, where did I put such and such. Every once in awhile we have guests, then all the stuff gets put in its corner somewhere in the house. I use having guests for dinner as a time to put stuff away. Then slowly it creeps back from the four corners of the house.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 AM

Go for it Girl!

Our home was the same - we barely EVER used the living room as such and before my hubby built my quilting studio (when we did our major reno) I changed my rooms around and used the living room as my quilting room.

If we did have guests over - after they got over the initial ????? over the switch, they agreed it made much more sense.

It's your home, so you get to call the shots. If you and your family members are/can be happy with the switch - that's all that really counts.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Noiseynana
Heck fire, woman , its your home. Fix it the way you are comfortable. You don't use the living room as such so fix it the way you want. Is there a hubby you need to make happy or just you? If there is a hubby you may be able to sweet talk him to your way of thinkin. hehehe Good luck
Nope, no hubby, just me and 11 yo grandson I have custody of, and boyfriend but,,,,,,it's not his house. Thanks all, I am going to do it!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:48 PM

I say GO FOR IT!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I am lucky to have a pretty large sewing studio but Now with my mega on a frame it is getting crowded. I have a very large living room with a wall of windows overlooking the river. I use the living room approx. One hour a night just a couple nights a week to watch a fav tv show, the rest of the time no one is ever in the living room. I have been thinking about converting said living room into a larger sewing studio and making the sewing area I have now into a smaller living room. We never have company so that would not be a problem. So what do you think? Stupid idea or not?
Do it! What a great view while you work!