Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Peter Walsh works with a quilting hoarder. >

Peter Walsh works with a quilting hoarder.

Peter Walsh works with a quilting hoarder.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:34 AM

The fabric that is being donated is going to another Chapter of Quilts of Valor. I think that is great. Another Chapter may not be as fortunate to have a lot of fabric to do quilts. You would be surprised what we all can get rid that we don't need or use or want. She was a BRAVE lady!!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 AM

I was glad to see a lot of it being donated to other groups. However, a lot of what is "donated" to quilters is not truly useable. One of the friends actually said some of the fabric was not suitable I believe. Be careful who you tell you are a quilter! A group I belonged to at one time made quilts to give to CPS so each child taken in could be given their own quilt to keep forever. We got everything! Acutally could use only about %10 of it. We got knits, old polyester like they made leisure suits out of, etc. You don't really have to keep everything you are given if it is not for your purpose or you will ENJOY working with the textile. Otherwise it will be in your stash forever and is still not helping anyone! Remember we are still taking the time and pleasure in creating the finished product to be donated. We want to feel that sense of pride in what we give away with our name associated. If you aren't going to use something take, say a very nice thank you and pass it on to another organization that might use it for pet bedding or whatever may be appropriate. (Now, I wonder if the pet groups think the same thing about some fabrics, that they are not appropriate!)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 PM

oh man I guess I missed this one!! Mr. Peter needs to be careful here, you don't just THROW stuff away from the sewing studio, do we!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM

My reaction to the Daughter was .......( a nasty name) !

I thought SHE should be coming over to lend a hand with the quilts- helping to pack them, maybe and delivering them, maybe, if she can't quilt? Get the work already done, to where it needs to go?

Agreed that Barbara needed help to make room for her great sewing projects for QOV. and, she needed room for her family to visit. There was a need for give and take on both sides.

I felt sorry for her husband, too, because his stuff was dismissed as not important.

Did you notice that the OTHER ladies came over to the cluttered home to work? Why not go to one of their homes?

Mr Peter's job is to organize. He did that , but not in a "quilter's way".

None of us wants to live in a "museum"- a dead place without our Life Hobbies.

When you walk into my house you see dogs, horse photos and trophies and handmade pillows, quilts, dog beds, slip covers, etc.No question of the type of people who live here.

You also see BOXES of donated jeans for the OQC quilt project. Who brought the boxes into the LR? My husband who is PROUD of me for doing all this sewing for others.

We have friends who have large, clean homes. They stop in HERE for a touch of "homeiness".

Live your Life your way. And do a little GOOD at the same time.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 PM

I wish she would have donated some of that fabric to me. I could have found room for it.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:53 PM

I totally hated the way they set up the garage as a quilting area. Definetly wouldn't work for me. As large as her living room/dining room was, and all that natural light, why couldn't they set up some sort of storage system in there where she could still sew in a climate controlled area.

Obviously, that was not the main *living area* in her home. Besides, how often would she have her entire family over at one time? I didn't see enough give and take with the show. It seemed more of a *control* issue to me.

I want my house lived in. (Yes, I do agree it was totally chaotic, but needed organization.)
Old 02-22-2011, 04:34 PM

You all realize that a good portion of the homes in L.A. have no central heat or air because they're not needed, right? Climate control isn't an issue living in L.A. That's why it' so sprawling and over populated. And expensive!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:08 PM

I have to admit I hated the show. She was happy sewing where she was. I could have accepted help her get organized and maybe clean the garage for storage but not for sewing. They came up with some very clever storage system but I would never want my fabrics in plastic bins. I would have placed the fabrics on the shelves without the bins and keep the sewing in the living room, where she probably spends most of her time. Hated the controlling daughter and the wimpy husband. The house looks nice, but just because her daughter wanted her kids to come and mess it up anyways.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
I have to admit I hated the show. She was happy sewing where she was. I could have accepted help her get organized and maybe clean the garage for storage but not for sewing. They came up with some very clever storage system but I would never want my fabrics in plastic bins. I would have placed the fabrics on the shelves without the bins and keep the sewing in the living room, where she probably spends most of her time. Hated the controlling daughter and the wimpy husband. The house looks nice, but just because her daughter wanted her kids to come and mess it up anyways.
I can't say I hated it, but I won't say I'll tune in again. The daughter really ticked me off - turn down the tears and GO TO YOUR OWN HOME. She's an adult with her own entertainment venue. There's no reason on earth why all - or any of - the family gatherings had to happen at Barbara's house.

My mother has her own life. Now that my sister and I are out of the house, it's hers (and my father's) to do with as they wish. If I boo-hooed to her that she should stop spending so much time doing the things she loves, and start spending more time with ME in HER HOME (and by the way, she better clean up so my dogs can come over and probably chew on things)...Mom would look me dead in the eye and tell me to grow up. And she'd be right.

Sorry, I think I needed to get that out. LOL
Old 02-22-2011, 05:26 PM

wish I got that channel.