Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
question about having company and manners >

question about having company and manners

question about having company and manners

Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 AM

Miss Manners says that the host is to clean up after dinner guest -So I would think this falls in that category. But for me it comes down to showing respect to your MIL. Pick your battles wisely
Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 AM

Apparently, your MIL raised the man you love. For this you must overlook the little things like this. It's no big deal. Clean the table after she leaves and don't say a word.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:05 AM

I think it goes back to how you were raised. As kids we always had to pick up after ourselves and had to dishes after every meal. So now, regardless at home or at friends, I always take my glass, dishes, whatever, to the sink and volunteer to clean dishes and the kitchen. I think it is only courteous, but maybe your mom-in-law was raised with guest being treated like guest. I agree with the others that say don't sweat the small stuff, you'll be less stressed!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mimom View Post
I just was wondering as I was always taught to take my plate and dishes off the table at home and automatically do it when I am a guest somewhere else. She just always leaves her glass or Mcdonalds bags, etc. I didn't know if I should expect her to do it or if proper etiquette was for her to leave it laying around. My boys are taught to clean up after themselves. My mother leaves her glass too and she was the one who taught me to pickup my dishes at home or at somewhere else.
so when I stop by her house I should leave my glass on the table and leave. I would have to make a conscious effort to leave it for her. But if that is what is expected I guess I should.
say she stops buy with a beverage from McDonald's sits down at the table, talks for a while then goes home but leaves her trash behind instead of throwing it out on her way out the door. One time when she did this with a whole meal from McDonald's I ran the bag out to her before she pulled out of the driveway and said "oh you forgot your leftovers" (bag fries).
This is starting to sound like a DIL-MIL war front ..........
...........and no matter what MIL does, it will be considered wrong.

As I suggested before, Don't Sweat the Small Stuff!

IF this is all bothering you SO much,
speak with your husband about what is troubling you.
And work it out with him.

Last edited by QuiltE; 07-23-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 AM

If this is the worst that is happening in your life, you have a great life. Enjoy the quirks and foibles...life is very short.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:32 AM

I usually pick up glasses from everyone in my family so picking up a glass from her would seem normal to me.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Do you like your MIL?

How often do you see her?

How old are each of you?

There probably is "more to the story" - but from what you've said - my reaction is "oh, good grief!!"

What do you WANT her to do?

Last edited by bearisgray; 07-23-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:03 AM

I really think it depends on family dynamics, not etiquette rules.

If I am a guest at a family home I am a pitch in sort of person. I always will help clear tables, wash pots etc. If I know the hostess is particular in how her dishwasher is loaded, I rinse and stack. If I know how they load their dishwasher I start to load after rinsing.

My kids have been taught since they were little to clear their plates and others, when visiting family and close family friends.

But having said all that, when my mum comes over and has a coffee, the cup is left where she was sitting. But if she was over for dinner, she would be helping clear up.

I cannot imagine anyone in my family bring fast food to my house to eat, let alone leaving the wrappers out. Unless they were bring it for everyone, but still garbage is garbage, not dishes and should be put in the garbage can by the person who creates it.

I do not have a great relationship with my MIL, but I really would not care if she left out a few dishes.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I do not think that would bother me.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 AM

so when I stop by her house I should leave my glass on the table and leave. I would have to make a conscious effort to leave it for her. But if that is what is expected I guess I should.
etiquette "rules" are not all black and white. A lot of them seem black and white because they are accepted by most people as the tried and true way to handle a particular situation. They are common sense guidance for handling people interactions in large or small situations. The main purpose is to make interactions kinder for each other.

For your specific example it really is a matter of "whatever works for all". She may feel(as well as your mother- ask her) as a guest in your house she should not assume where you want the glass. (When I was little we were taught to put things on the counter next to the sink. This way you didn't have to remove everything from the sink to wash them). When you go to her house, as a younger, more agile person it might be nice to help put dishes in/near the sink per her wishes. So - do whatever works best.