Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A question for those of you who are single and own your home... >

A question for those of you who are single and own your home...

A question for those of you who are single and own your home...

Old 02-05-2010, 11:29 AM

I'm single and have been in my own home for a little over two years, so the bank owns more of it than I do. But my hope is to pay it off early (I am 50) and then have the security that I will always have somewhere to live, even if I lose my job (has happened to me several times through the years). I was divorced at a very young age and ended up moving many, many times through the years. I wanted to buy so I could settle in and paint the walls and have pets. I have only one dog, but I hope to get another one or two. The one I have has a seizure disorder and I have been waiting to get that under control before adding a new pet into the environment. But hopefully soon :)
Old 02-05-2010, 03:10 PM

I am alone and I have a mortgage...I live on a lake out in the boonies and I love it...I have 2 cats and 1 big dog..I shovel snow in the winter and haul in wood for the wood stove and in the summer enjoy the peace and quiet and the water and sun...I think that down the road when my health gets a little iffy I may have to move into town and I would still like to get a little house all my own...friends help out when necessary and family as well...and you learn to do a lot of things for yourself...it is well worth it.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:29 PM

So glad you decided to stay!

I chuckle when you talk about wanting to move because it is frustrating not having anyone to help when something breaks, etc. I chuckle because one of my best friends was so frustrated the other day. She is married, god bless her husband I love him, is helpless in the home repair arena. When they were dating and his light bulb burned out he called the super of his apartment. So even having a man around doesn't mean squat. Granted they are great to move the heavy stuff. I will guiltily admit I waited a week to break-up with a boyfriend because I needed his help to move some heavy things to the basement. I know I am horrible.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:53 PM

My DSIL cooks, DD does the outside stuff. Helps her dad fix the spetic system. Does all the work for the horses. He does know what a screwdriver is but doesn't use them.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 PM

yeah, my last bf talked alot about knowing how to do stuff but put a quarter size hole in the wall trying to hang a picture. Guess who spackled it and make it pretty again - moi! :)

The other thing I wondered was, what would I do in an apt? Can't stay in all the time and didn't think I'd like to be confined to a little balcony, but I couldn't think of what I would do. At least having a house that always needs a little this and a little that will keep me busy. I feel like my house stood strong while my kids were young and knew I had to focus my energy on them. Now that the are 21 and 17 my house needs some attention. Weird, huh?

I came home from work today and am just so happy, happier I think than when I bought it.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:07 PM

Sometimes it can just be really hard to be a single woman living alone in a house in New Hampshire in the winter. I've been here 12 years, too, and I think I know what you felt like when you decided to put your house on the market. I'm so very glad you changed your mind. Spring will come again, the loons will start laughing and the flowers will bloom. To experience that joy every year on your own little piece of this great state is priceless. Welcome home! ;-)
Old 02-06-2010, 02:50 AM

The first year I lived by myself, the freezer, washing machine, and tv went... the dryer fell off the wall and made a massive hole in the opposite wall, the toilet cistern needed replacing, the hot water tank blew up and my back sliding doorwent off the rails. I was ready to move out too. But then I got new guttering, new window finishings, bathroom remodelled, new air conditioning, painted the back bedroom for my son and I love the fact that I am making this house my home!

I have someone come in and tidy up the front and back yards, can't do it all by myself plus there is no way I will climb a ladder to clean out the gutters - I am afraid of heights LOL
Old 02-07-2010, 02:22 PM

I enjoy owning my home. It is in the city, which I don't like, but the postage sized yard allows me to do a little yard work and have a place for my dog and cat. I can do what I want with the interior. My neighbors are great, and mow my front lawn and shovel my walk. After losing my "knight in shining armor" 5 years ago, I've been considering moving back north where my family is located, but the thought is so daunting! Getting rid of "stuff", moving "stuff", holding "stuff" until I find a new job, a new place to live, a new life. Still I think I will opt for owning another house, although it may take awhile. The thought of putting money into an investment seems to make sense to me. I think it is totally subjective though with so many variables. I guess you need to look at the pros and cons each step of the way and you will find a decision at the end!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:28 AM

I've done it all, married with home ownership, divorced raising 4 kids and buying my house, married and living in a apartment, seperated and living in an apartment, and married living in a rental home. Curently living in a rental home, but my next move will be to buy a fixer upper, 1. because I can't afford or need a larger home, 2. I really want to be able to have a cat and dog without the landlord telling me no, 3. if I want to paint I can paint, and 4. hubby is late stages Parkinson and dementia, and when he goes, so goes the money. Oh, and I'm almost 70 yrs old! I want to be an independent momma riding around town on my little scooter, sleep in late and spoil the grandkids.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:55 AM

Yes, I still own my house. New roof recently because of Irene. I call my house the original money pit. LOL