Rating quilts

Old 05-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

I don't rate other peoples quilts. I just enjoy the pics and I'm inspired.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:39 PM

When someone asks an opinion I give it. It's not to be mean but to give another view point about their quilt.

I go to a LQS on Sat. to sew, it helps because I get different views on what I am doing, their comments aren't meant to hurt but to make me a better quilter. I may never reach the level of the lady who painted the peacock or of the person who quilted the dragon reading, but I appreciate those who give me tips that will make me a better quilter. If all they did was give me a smilely face for everthing I made. I would be deprived of knowing an alternet way of doing something.

I don't have to accept their opinion, but it generally is worth pondering over.

I enjoy looking at the many quilts that are posted. I find beauty in a simple scrappy block quilt and I generally lust after many of the quilts I see. Some of the quilts I see truly amaze me in their beauty! So I guess I do rate them as, "this is something I'm capable of doing" and "this is something I aspire to do."
Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 PM

I enjoy looking at everyone's quilts.. some are so beautiful that they practically take my breath away..

The only quilt I've ever seen that I didn't like was one I made.. after it was all finished I rolled it up and put it in the closet..

Not long ago a friend came over and we decided to look at the quilts and I thought it would be a good time to shake them out and refold them.. when we opened that one I didn't like.. something very strange had happened to it, it had grown beautiful too... I loved it!!

I think I had just looked at it so long that I was sick of it.. now it looks great to me.. Perhaps like good wine, it just needed aged?? who knew?

so now I can honestly say I've never seen a quilt I didn't like!!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:19 PM

Here's my rating system:

***That's so pretty/unique/cool that I just have to comment on this post

***Alright, another picture to copy into my "inspiration file"

***Would you please teach me how to do that?!

***Dude! She/he used the same fabric I have!

***I wish you lived next door to me so we could be best quilting friends forever and ever

...or some combination thereof.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:09 PM

Nope. Some I like, some I don't like, some I love, some I find to be positively incredible in every way, but it's no rating system ... just a matter of my personal taste. Although I would also like to create positively incredible quilts, I have to be realistic ... it ain't gonna happen! But I enjoy the process (mostly!) of creating my less-than-incredible ones.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:03 AM

Somehow when I think of rating a quilt I get a mental picture of Len, Carrie and Bruno holding up their scoring paddles on Dancing with the Stars. Of course that always comes after their comments which tend to be more on the critical side rather than the positive side. I don't think that's what this forum is all about. So I don't rate the quilts but I do have opinions. (Don't we all?)

- That pattern will work for some fabric I have.
- I like that color combination.
- I wouldn't have done it that way but it sure made a nice quilt.
- That's a good design for beginners. (Like me)
- If I'd done mine that way it would have turned out a lot nicer.
- I've never thought of doing that pattern but I sure like the way this one came together.
- Not my colors but they sure did a great job on the piecing and quilting.
- I'm glad I saw that quilt. I never would have put those colors together but I like it.
- So that's how you do that!
- I love all these bags I'm seeing but have no desire to make one. Same goes for table toppers and wall hangings. Gorgeous stuff but not my preference.

I hope you get the idea. We're not going to "like" everything about every quilt. We all have different likes and dislikes when it comes to color, style and design. But that's not bad if you can see past the things that are not your favorite and learn something from the quilt/bag/table topper/wall hanging itself. For the most part we all keep our comments upbuilding and that's as it should be. As we always say, there are no quilt police here and I might add no judges with their scoring paddles.

Code:
I hope this is making sense cause in my part of the world it's 2:15 AM. 
I couldn't sleep cause someone was snoring and kept me awake. 
(I won't say whether it was DH or one of the dogs.) 
So I got up to see what's new here and ended up posting this rambling message.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
I like them all, from the tattered old antiques, to the Baltimore album and the art stuff. I like the riot of color, the passion to make something beautiful with your hands.

Do I like some more than others? Sure, that is life! Big deal! Will I ever make one that will win in Paducah? No, but I just might try and enter!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 AM

Honestly to say, yes I do rate.

- Dont'be fond the colorscheme but what a great art of work, with lots of love and caring, and how lucky are you when you recieve a quilt like this!
- Love the quilt but can't do that, waaaay to difficult. I will never be that good!
- Love the quilt, way to difficult but maybe I should give it a try. (Maybe)
_ Awesome, this ones goes on my Want To Make list.

I do love all the quilts I see ons this board (and also in other places). They were all made with love and care and thats why I love them too.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by watson's mom
Originally Posted by kygirl
Nope, never rate because there's no such thing as an ugly quilt. They're all beautiful.
How true. Anything made with love can never be ugly.
I totally agree!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanetM
I never rate them...I'm not even sure I know what "rating them" is.
I like to see everyone's work for the sheer pleasure of seeing what everyone is doing. I am inspired and encouraged by a lot that I see on this board. :D
Same here!! :D