Rating quilts

Old 05-22-2010, 06:27 AM

QuiltRfun wrote:

"Somehow when I think of rating a quilt I get a mental picture of Len, Carrie and Bruno holding up their scoring paddles on Dancing with the Stars. Of course that always comes after their comments which tend to be more on the critical side rather than the positive side. I don't think that's what this forum is all about. So I don't rate the quilts but I do have opinions. (Don't we all?)

- That pattern will work for some fabric I have.
- I like that color combination.
- I wouldn't have done it that way but it sure made a nice quilt.
- That's a good design for beginners. (Like me)
- If I'd done mine that way it would have turned out a lot nicer.
- I've never thought of doing that pattern but I sure like the way this one came together.
- Not my colors but they sure did a great job on the piecing and quilting.
- I'm glad I saw that quilt. I never would have put those colors together but I like it.
- So that's how you do that!
- I love all these bags I'm seeing but have no desire to make one. Same goes for table toppers and wall hangings. Gorgeous stuff but not my preference.

I hope you get the idea. We're not going to "like" everything about every quilt. We all have different likes and dislikes when it comes to color, style and design. But that's not bad if you can see past the things that are not your favorite and learn something from the quilt/bag/table topper/wall hanging itself. For the most part we all keep our comments upbuilding and that's as it should be. As we always say, there are no quilt police here and I might add no judges with their scoring paddles."

I wrote:
I think this was well said! Everyone is different in their views.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Code:
I hope this is making sense cause in my part of the world it's 2:15 AM. 
I couldn't sleep cause someone was snoring and kept me awake. 
(I won't say whether it was DH or one of the dogs.) 
So I got up to see what's new here and ended up posting this rambling message.
Well, I think it must have been DH keeping you awake. If it'd been the dogs, you most likely wouldn't have moved in case you woke them. :thumbup:
Old 05-23-2010, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Rating?? HUH?????? I don't think so.....
Old 05-23-2010, 05:40 AM

I rate the same way Carlene does, There are so many talented quilters on this site I only wish I could keep up.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:43 AM

There is a difference between rating and judging. I learn best through my mistakes. But the mistakes of others also remind me that I can learn through others. It doesn't help much if everyone around you is perfect.I look carefully at your quilts and I bravely post mine. This forum is here for encouragement. Sometimes that means giving us ideas to improve our creations. Like all of you, I am my worse critic.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
The only rating system I have is this:

1. Ok...I can do that.
2. Ok...I can maybe do that.
3. Oh Cripes! THAT'S outta my league!
4. ~Whimper~ I'll NEVER be THAT good!

;)

I think I'm more in this league - sounds like what I always think!!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
The only rating system I have is this:

1. Ok...I can do that.
2. Ok...I can maybe do that.
3. Oh Cripes! THAT'S outta my league!
4. ~Whimper~ I'll NEVER be THAT good!

;)
Okay - I also do this - but in conjunction with that -

1) Ok - I did something like that. And then I compare that one to the one(s) I did.

Her/his points are better - my intersections were really right on - that border is wavy - my binding lays flatter than that one - etc. - I sure wish she/he would learn how to do a neater looking turn on that binding corner - -

2) Ok - I'm reasonably sure I can do something like that.

How was it pieced? Does the pattern resemble anything I've done? What would I do differently? What do I really like about it? What, if anything, seems like it could have been done "better"?

If it's applique, I look at the technique and speculate as to how it was done -

I look at the stitches - how far apart they are, how conspicuous they are -

If machine stitching is used - how did they do the turns/corners - sure wish I had the buttonhole stitch on my machine - straight stitch was used? Hmmm --

To a certain extent, looking at a quilt is like listening to music. One doesn't have to be a "trained musician" to recognize if a performance is good - Neither one does one have to be an "experienced quilter" to admire something well made.

Although training and experience do enhance the appreciation of another's work/workmanship.

3) Golly - that's an ART quilt - I still will try to figure out how it was done.

4) If it can't be used, I'm not even gonna try -

There are many quilts that are in the, to me, "interesting" category - that's really unique, I'm sure there are a zillion hours of work in it -

I'm still in the "it's good enough to be used" mode - - -

I tend to be more "ho-hum" towards the items that I am fairly sure I could replicate (if I really tried) - and more "wow" towards the items that are beyond me right now.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:23 AM

Rate them? No way.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by kygirl
Nope, never rate because there's no such thing as an ugly quilt. They're all beautiful.
Nope I have an ugly quilt that I am finishing up from my grandmother, it is ugly that is the name of it. Will post pics when I am done. It does have sentimental value since it is made of my mothers childhood dresses but it is definitely ugly.
Sorry I digress, No I do not rate them either, the work that I know everybody puts into there quilts is awesome, and thank goodness we all have different taste and likes. Life would be boring if everybody did things the same way.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:54 AM

I don't rate quilts - I don't have what it takes for that. I enjoy seeing others work; give me "umpf" to add to my list of quilts that I want to try. Some of the color choices are not what I would pick but I look at them and think that really works. Step outside the comfort zone!