Rating quilts

Old 05-23-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
MistyMarie, Watson's Mom is so right! I agree with her post 100%. You do not allow anyone to discourage you! Enjoy the process of making quilts and keep on keeping on. Chances are, you will be the only one that will see your mistakes. Bet you have never had someone decline to take one of your quilts have you? AND I doubt that you ever will. Hugs!
My mom found an afghan she made for my aunt in the garage sale pile the next year. She was devistated. Needless to say, it seriously damaged their relationship for awhile.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:46 PM

I find that I do look at quilts with an eye toward improvement. What did the quilter do that I find fascinating, of good quality, or didn't like and why. I think it helps me to grow so I can improve on my own work.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
After reading the first issue of "Quilter's Home" with Mark Lipinski's perspective on entering a quilt into a quilt show, I became so discouraged about my own ability and how others would perceive my quilts. I now absolutely dread giving away my quilts or showing them at quilt guild meetings because I see all my flaws and feel that others will judge my work too critically. I worry that they are not good enough because I am such a perfectionist when it comes to quilting and I know others are too. However, I am only an intermediate quilter, so I know I am going to have small "errors" here and there in all my quilts. It is hard when I try so hard to grow as a quilter and others make me feel like I am barely a quilter because I am not up to their skill levels. After reading that article, I doubt I would ever feel "good enough" to enter a quilt show or contest. He totally shredded beginner/intermediate quilters as living in denial of their own ability to create a worthwhile quilt for a quilt show.
Misty,

Just WHO is Mark Lipinski to you??? He's not your teacher, your neighbor, your boss or anything. He's just another person with a point of view that does not reflect anything but HIS OWN thinking. Can you imagine that all his intermediate quilts were nothing but perfection?? Hardly!

WHEN you enter a quilt in a show I'll bet for darn sure Mark ain't gonna be the judge there.

Don't be so hard on yourself. There are much bigger things in life if your seams are a little crooked and some points get lopped off. Don't let a person with negative thoughts be your guide. You'll only get lost.

Keep sewing, keep creating and NEVER give up! Show us here all your wonderful quilts. You have a built in audience who will LOVE what you do and appreciate the time, effort and talent that go into each stitch!!! :thumbup:
Old 05-23-2010, 05:55 PM

Don't You dare let someone make you feel useless or less of a quilter. I don't know your level of quilting. I know I will never be able to make blue ribbon quilt in a show, but that does not diminish my joy of quilting and putting love into fabric, batting, and thread tu give to someone and make them happy.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:08 PM

The only rating system I have is this:

1. Ok...I can do that.
2. Ok...I can maybe do that.
3. Oh Cripes! THAT'S outta my league!
4. ~Whimper~ I'll NEVER be THAT good!
------------------------------------------------

Oh, gosh, I thought that I was the only one
who thought like that!!

SIGH!!! I can dream can't I? Dream that this
lovely quilt is in there on MY bed.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:15 PM

I'd like to read that article of Mark Lipinski's if anyone knows if it could be found online.

I just entered a quilt in the AQS Knoxville 2010 show and it's the first show that I've entered since my very first quilt that I entered in my county fair. I went back and forth about entering it because I know darn well that it isn't perfect. I'm under no illusions about it.

To my utter shock it was accepted for the show. I really don't expect to win anything but you know what? I ENTERED!! No one has the authority to tell me if I should enter or not, whether I should try or not. Whether I win or not is irrelevant right now. And so is anyone's opinion that I shouldn't have entered anything less than perfect.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

A reasonable assumption:

There will be something "wrong" (however minor) with absolutely every quilt made.

I think the pros just keep the "errors" to themselves.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I'd like to read that article of Mark Lipinski's if anyone knows if it could be found online.
I searched and all I came up with is a few articles in each issue from '06 on. I think he came on board in '07??

Anyway here's an '08 article.

http://www.quiltershomemag.com/artic...rd_janfeb_2008
Old 05-23-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
The only rating system I have is this:

1. Ok...I can do that.
2. Ok...I can maybe do that.
3. Oh Cripes! THAT'S outta my league!
4. ~Whimper~ I'll NEVER be THAT good!

;)
That about sums it up for my judgements too
Old 05-23-2010, 07:10 PM

I wouldn't know enough about it to have a clue about rating a quilt, not that I'd want to anyway. Unless the number of tissues required to wipe off the drool counts as a rating system. LOL