A Real "Blonde" Moment

Old 03-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Banned

My '51 ford is a 1950's style custom with all sorts of body mods including shaving the door handles off. I have a keyless remote to get in the car so all I have to do is push a button and depending on the button I push, one of the doors or trunk will pop open.

Well If I ever leave it running like warming it up or letting the A/C cool it off I have a quick release on my keychain to take the remote with me. Sometimes I forget and shut the door and then I have no way of getting back into the car. After doing this a couple of times and having to snake a coat hanger to hit my power window switch I put in an auxiliary cable pull under my hood so I can get in there. Plus if the battery goes dead I can get in there also.

But the positive of having no door handles is you never have to lock the doors because no one can get in it anyway. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 03-16-2010, 05:53 AM

That is so funny -- laughing with you because I think all of us have been there, done that at some point in our lives. Years ago I had this old beat up, rusty old convertible (which was all I could afford) which I didn't lock. Was afraid someone would slit the top. I didn't keep anything valuable in it. Came out from work one afternoon to go home and discovered someone had stolen my car mats!! I was really ticked. Guess the thief thought that was the most valuable thing in the car :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-16-2010, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, but that is just tooo funny! My DH and I are BOTH laughing because we have both done something soo similar at one time or another! Thanks for sharing...made me start the day with a giggle!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:06 PM

I quess a blond moment is better than a gray moment but they seem pretty much the same. My husband called me once from about 45 miles away---he'd lost the keys to his van while flying RC planes. I drove there, walked the grounds for about half an hour and still didn't find them. I said, "Did you check your pockets?" He said,"Of course I did, I'm not stupid." (he said it right?) Anyway I checked his pockets and guess what I found. Yep, his keys! I didn't let him forget it either. I took two key rings, made a long band of really bright fabric and told him to hook one end to a belt loop and one end to his keys. That way when he lost them again he could just follow the band of fabric. LOL He didn't see the humor in that or the large bright bow I tied to his keys.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:44 AM

raptureready,
I love your idea to keep your DH's keys visible.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
raptureready,
I love your idea to keep your DH's keys visible.
Boy he didn't but I still laugh about it.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:22 AM

Been there done that.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:23 PM
MCH

I was at a hockey game in San Jose and realized I had probably not locked my car which was in a lot about 2 blocks away. I got all panicked and told my husband I couldn't remember if I'd locked the car. He didn't seem too concerned, but symapthized. I fretted for a bit, then the light bulb went on! I have OnStar! And I had my cell phone with me...so, I convinced one of the "hall monitors" to let me go out onto the deck to make an "emergency" phone call. After providing correct ID info., the OnStar operator advised me, "Please do not touch the car. We're sending the signal now." "Not an issue. I'm at least 2 blocks away at a hockey game!" Well, I don't know if I locked the car of if OnStar did, but when we returned to it, the car was locked.

A few months later, I was at my son's apartment and parked in the semi-underground parking garage. He was helping me to put things in the trunk. I had locked the car doors and put my purse in the trunk while we were putting things into it. We finished loading the trunk and I closed it.

Immediately, I knew I was in the midst of a "blonde moment". In the trunk, in my purse, were my phone and my car keys. I was so irked with myself, I almost turned into Rumplestiltskin on the spot. I don't do dumb things like that! (That's God you hear laughing in the background).

My son, age 39, and Mr. Calm and Collected, was walking back to the car and saw his obviously pi**ed-off Mom.
"Mom, I have my phone. I'll just call OnStar."
"They can't help because the car is in this semi-underground garage!"
"Mom, I'll call them."
"You don't have the number."
"Mom, it's probably 1-800-OnStar. If not, I'll call information." He proceeded to call the number and got the attendant on the line.
"OnStar, how may I help you?"
Within a minute my car was unlocked...and I could release the trunk lid from inside the car. Oh, and again, they told me, "Do not touch the car. We're sending the signal now." Boy, was it weird to see the lights flash and the horn "toot" as it was "magically" unlocked!

This is not a free plug for OnStar, It's just me being delighted there is OnStar. Fortunately, I haven't had to use it for a serious emergency...but you can be sure I definitely would, should I need to.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:30 PM

I had a blonde moment like that last winter. I am blonde, so I have a lot of 'moments' and I do blame it on the hair, lol!

I had a remote started installed in my car, original Mazda parts, but after-market. So anyway, I was just getting used to how it all worked, since my car is a manual transmission, it's not like a regular remote starter. I started my car one morning, to let it warm up, about 15 mins later, I went out to scrape the windows. I opened the door, sat down, put the key in the ignition, grabbed the scraper and shut the door. 5 seconds later I hear "click". I'm like, oh crap!
The thing is, my car won't lock if the keys are in the ignition either, HOWEVER, because I started the car with the remote, and just stuck the key in the ignition without turning it or pressing the clutch to disengage the remote starter but keept the car running, the control unit just though I opened the car to grab something and left again, so it locked automatically. My purse was in the car, with my house key, so I couldn't get back into the house to get my spare car key either!
I did have my cell, so I called my mother who looked up the Mazda roadside assisntance number and then I called them. Before sending someone over to unlock my car, they had to confirm ownership of the car, so they were asking for my registration number, and the VIN number, which I couln't even get at because that info was LOCKED IN MY CAR!!
LOL! Finally, they sent a guy over to unlock my door, and once he did that he checked the serial number to confirm.

To top it all off, the guy was a total smart a$$, and felt the need to tell me that this happens all the time and 99% of the people it happens to are women. I was like, yeah, but I WORK ON CARS FOR A LIVING, you would think that I woud have enough sense to know better, and he just laughed at me and said that it was inevitable. I wanted to punch him.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MCH
We're sending the signal now." Boy, was it weird to see the lights flash and the horn "toot" as it was "magically" unlocked!
Not a Blonde moment but it coincides with your story.........

I built a '28 Ford Roadster a few years back and I sent a Hilborn Injector set up to a guy in California to be converted into EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection). He told me when ever I had everything installed to hook my laptop up to the car, run the software that he will send with my stuff, and to call him and he will calibrate the engine management system for me.

I got everything put together called the guy and while my friends and I sat there watching the screen on my lap top while he set the injectors and timing on my motor. It was wild watching the motor rev up and down and seeing the timing and fuel pressure change on the monitor all by itself! It was like the car was possessed or something out of the movie "Christine".

After 10 minutes or so he called me back and told me he was done and enjoy the car.

Billy