scam

Old 05-20-2018, 06:10 AM

One day my cranky DH answered the phone to get a scammer. He used unfriendly words and hung up. A minute later before he could relay his call to me the phone rang. Knowing he was on the way from the shop to the house, I answered the phone from my sewing room without looking at the number (dumb, I know!) Lo and behold, it was the scammer who called to complain to me that my husband had called him a 'very bad word' and that I needed to 'talk to him.' I calmly answered him that I have no desire to control my husband and that perhaps he should consider another profession that did not include scamming old folks. Needless to say, they have called again but we ignore them as best we can.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
If I feel full of it I play along with them for a few minutes. I tell them the most outrageous things like how my butler took my cat and wanted a ransom, my chauffeur was arrested drag racing my cars, that my cook and the housekeeper was charging for tours in my home when I was out of the country and on and on until they hang up.
Any more evil suggestions? I pretend to be the ditzyest old lady who ever lived. DH has been warned that if I holler "FRANK! HOW DO YOU TURN THE COMPUTER ON?!?" that I'm winding one up. (His name isn't Frank, of course, or anything close.) Then I pretend to be hunting for the right key on the keyboard, all the while nattering about how my grandson usually turns it on for me, but we had a power outage Thursday-- or was it Wednesday? Yes, it must have been Wednesday because that was the day that Boopsie got out of the yard, and we just hunted and hunted for hours and hours and hours...

Last edited by IceLeopard; 05-20-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:42 AM

I found out the best way to stop them is BLOW a WHISTLE in the phone. LOL
Old 05-20-2018, 07:47 AM

I kept getting lots and lots of calls like all the above. I don't answer the phone either if it doesn't show who is calling; which has been a mistake a couple of times, but aside from that I finally got a phone that has call block on it. Oh my it is THE best thing I've ever done. I get very few calls now. IF a blocked call does try to call (again and again); the phone rings one time then the phone shows call blocked; so I know the call came in but the phone doesn't ring and ring and ring. One place; I think Dial America or Call America calls and calls (well - used to) several times a day. They of course are now blocked; but I looked them up online; they have petitioned to the FCC to be EXEMPT from the 'do not call' list? Really people? I was livid. We'll be in trouble if everyone does that.
So when the calls come in and I don' recognize them, I just hit the call block button and wa-la; done. If I do miss a call, say I' gone, it can be put in manually. The best thing on a phone!
Old 05-20-2018, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

sometimes these idiots may actually know where you live, so just hang up. scary world out there.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:31 AM

I do too, but then my HMO calls me to make an appointment for my annual and I don't answer becuz they don't have a name attached to the phone number!! But I still don't answer if I don't know.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:19 AM

This girl has the best “waste their time” response to a scammer. I love inventing ways to waste their time. Funny thing is, they seem to have stopped sharing my number so much, sinceI just pi** them off and waste their time. We have gone from multiple calls a day to only getting one once in a while now. Maybe they warn each other about us? Lol.

https://youtu.be/tHGcnG4Z-eU
Old 05-20-2018, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

The other evening I saw a commercial from a company "helping" you get out of debt and they were talking about the IRS phoning you. That's baloney!!!!!!! I feel badly for people who don't realize what a scam that is.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:12 PM

I installed nomoro (no more robocalls) and it has been 95%successful in cutting off calls. We also have caller ID which flashes on the tv and also has a snotty voice that tells who is calling. If I do not recognize the caller or the number, I do not answer. I got several of the IRS calls on voicemail last year. I got the information and reported it. Also last year got the Microsoft" calls at the time when my computer had just come back from being fixed by a very reputable person.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:25 PM

That cracked me up! You told them that you died!! lolol!!!