Self Cleaning Oven

Old 08-02-2017, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I think my built in oven got to 900 degrees. hot! now we didn't use it a lot and when i was putting the house up for sale the glass in the door was icky. So self clean to the rescue. (some remove the racks). that glass was clean. only "dust" left to wipe off and I'd tried everything to clean it before that.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:24 AM

I've never used the self-cleaning feature. I just clean regularly by hand. I'm not at all comfortable with those kinds of temperatures in my home.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:02 AM

I always run the exhaust fan when I do it. I think mine goes way over 500, and the door locks until it's cooled back down. And don't forget to take out the racks otherwise they get dull and non-slippy for pushing them in and out of the oven. They're kind of a pain though to clean separately.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I always run the exhaust fan when I do it. I think mine goes way over 500, and the door locks until it's cooled back down. And don't forget to take out the racks otherwise they get dull and non-slippy for pushing them in and out of the oven. They're kind of a pain though to clean separately.
Stove racks and barbecue racks alike, clean-up like a charm if you slip them into a large plastic garbage bag, then add about a half cup of straight household ammonia to the bag (just pour it into the plastic bag), then seal and allow to stew for a few hours. Take out, rinse, and racks will look as shiny as new! Been doing it for years.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Check your manual (go online if you can't find your copy) and make sure it's okay to use the self cleaning feature if you have used oven cleaners in the past. I think it is not recommended, possibly because of toxic fumes, but I don't know for sure. Also, at least on older ovens, you can take all of the easy glide finish off the racks if you leave them in, rendering them sticky when sliding in or out. My manual says to take the racks out, and I think it also says to never use cleaning chemicals inside the oven.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:47 AM

I appreciate the advice! I guess I'll try it. 900 degrees--- wow!!
Old 08-02-2017, 10:01 AM

I've always been leary of using it what with the high temps and reports of fires. I'm not sure you can turn the oven off once the cycle is started so be sure you know where your breaker box is.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Endora View Post
Stove racks and barbecue racks alike, clean-up like a charm if you slip them into a large plastic garbage bag, then add about a half cup of straight household ammonia to the bag (just pour it into the plastic bag), then seal and allow to stew for a few hours. Take out, rinse, and racks will look as shiny as new! Been doing it for years.
Same here with the grill and oven racks. Now with the smoker racks too.

Any advice on the glass window? I would love for that to be cleaner.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

I have used my self cleaning oven. I don't anymore because I have a cockatiel bird. They put of toxic fumes for any kind of pet bird. Same goes for Off Oven Cleaner. I manually wash out my oven using Dawn dish soap, a green scrubby pad, wet of course. I use it on the glass in the window too.

Do you honestly think an oven maker would have the stove get so hot it would catch on fire??????????? The door does lock until it cools to a safe temp. You can always turn the stove off by using the dial.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:01 PM

When we remodeled our kitchen we bought new appliances. My stove is an aqualift self cleaning oven. You put 2 cups of water in bottom of oven and it cleans in 40 minutes at around 250 and then you just wipe out. Old oven was regular self cleaning, heating up to 800, used rarely because how hot and how long it took. Clean a lot more often now, takes less time, easier to clean and cooler.