Self Cleaning Oven

Old 08-02-2017, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Endora View Post
I've never used the self-cleaning feature. I just clean regularly by hand. I'm not at all comfortable with those kinds of temperatures in my home.
I'm with you, Endora. Too smoky, too. Did that once. Only once.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:20 PM

I realize our experience is not the norm, but my husband decided to go the self-cleaning route, and shortly after the stove stopped working. When the repair man came out, he was able to fix it by replacing the circuit board, and he said the heat from the self-cleaning could have caused it to go out. Now, you'd think since that is a standard feature of the oven, it should work without problems, but the fact is we had an $750 repair. I don't think I'll try the self-cleaning route again.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a self cleaner and just use vinegar and baking soda on my oven. I do this every time I use the oven and any gunk that is a spill over just wipes up. I think the trick is to clean it often and not let stuff get baked on. I really like not having to use harsh chemicals. V & BS with a drop of dish soap is the best all around cleaner there is.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:36 PM

I use the self cleaning feature. Never thought to put the grates in there!! Off to check my manual!!
Old 08-03-2017, 12:24 AM

The 'rule' I was told is this- if the rack is shiny(chrome like)- take it out. My new stove has dark rack & the manual says they can stay in. I have always pulled mine out & placed the racks on layered newspaper, put them into a black plastic garbage bag, spray heavily with oven cleaner & leave in the sun for an hour or so. I then look to see if the spills are dissolved. It so- I use the garden hose to get rid of the mess & then give a good wash in the sink. Let dry & put back in the oven when the clean cycle is all done. Good luck
sewerybusy1
Old 08-03-2017, 03:32 AM

Any advice on the glass window? I would love for that to be cleaner.[/QUOTE] My oven manual says to clean the glass with Soft Scrub. It works well.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:44 AM

My brother is a retired carpenter, told me not to use the self clean option on mine. They don't make them like they used to and the high heat can do damage to surrounding areas, such as walls and also warp cabinetry. If something goes haywire with the 'clean' mechanism on the stove, it may not turn off and do damage to the stove or even cause a fire. To be truthful, I wouldn't trust anything in my home, getting that hot. I raise the heating element, sprinkle baking soda all over the bottom, lay wet paper toweling over that. Shut the door. Next morning, clean the stove with the paper toweling, I spray it again with water. Usually, it's clean, unless you have allowed years of grease to pile up. I'm one who fears fire. Of course manufacturers will tell you it's safe, they'll just sell you another stove if your house burns down.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:52 AM

Leaving the racks in will clean them but it will also take the shine off.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

I use the cleaning cycle once a month. More if something spills over in it. My oven is always clean and with no effort on my part. My oven surround is heavily insulated and is vented. Nothing feel warm to touch around, over, or under when cleaning or baking. I have a drop in oven. In fact my butter bell is next to my oven and the butter doesn't melt.

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-03-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:53 AM

The odor is horrible. I don't like my cleaning feature at all. I would much rather put paper towels soaked in ammonia and leave it overnight. I take my shelves out and scrub them with SOS pads and then put the paper towels down. It's much easier for me and I avoid having my whole house stink with that awful odor.