Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:54 AM

I'm still here, but DH isn't feeling well.He had major surgery 3 wks ago & has a ways to go....
    Still watching calories & sometimes have a problem with not eating enough & that's very unusual for me.
    Every time I do food shopping,try to add a couple healthier things to the list.Also,find a recipe or 2 you want to try & get ingreds,so you're all set to make it.A couple changes that are ok for me is using higher fiber bread & cereal.
    Hope everyone has had a good week & next wk will be even better.
    Old 09-17-2011, 05:22 AM
    elm

Hurray! Down another half pound from what I gained back. I can do this.
    Old 09-17-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by JHolm

MJ - nancia has a good idea - write down all your feelings about your interaction with this doc. Then mail em, post them or burn them - just get them out of your system. It sounds like your eating is good and you're exercising! I thought you weren't supposed to walk, what did I miss?
    It was part of my heart/lung testing: it was a 6 minute walk, not a 6 mile walk, but it is at a fast pace and constant, try it, I suspect it is at least 2 miles. I'm still on "bed rest", this was a one time thing. I really don't know what to do...if I am just "fat" and over-tired, then I'll get off my butt and start moving. BUT if this is an indication of something very serious like my doc thinks, then I don't want to go back in the hospital...

I'm waiting until next week and all the results are in to resume normal life activities.
    Old 09-17-2011, 08:14 AM

Pam, these are from a week or so ago.

What are you doing that you love?
    What are you doing that you don't like to do?
    What can you stop doing?
    What can you start doing?
    What will you continue to do?

Look at the activity in your life and be sure you are doing it for the right reason, not out of habit, guilt or forced obligation. Rather because it is fulfilling.

You have nothing to lose but your body clutter.

We all hit plateaus, both in our weight and in our desire to lose weight. I was down to the weight I am now several months ago, then I gained 4 pounds back and they were cemented to my body. I've had to report a gain or no loss for at least three months. Factor in a reaction to an insect bite that added six pounds and I was in a sad place. For some reason, that has turned around this week. Is it because I ran out of cheese? Today is a new day so it's a golden opportunity to start anew. Listen to your body - don't eat when you are just thirsty and track your food and exercise with myfitnesspal.com for a few days.

I have been watching some videos on the computer for the last few nights. Dr Oz has some interesting ones. One was on five fat busters. Four supplements were to be expected, but one was a surprise - don't exercise as much. Too much exercise makes you ravenous and you end of gaining weight. That's a new one to me. So 27 minutes of TV exercise and 45 minutes of walking doesn't need to be expanded. Yay! BTW, 6 minutes of very brisk walking would equate to about a half mile. Good for you, MJ, that were able to sustain it.

Jeanne, your mind picture is surprisingly accurate. The Carpenter Star that wants to be FMQed is bright orangey rust, so it makes it's presence known spread over two machines. Wildlife panels are on the design wall so I can figure out how to do Attic Windows. The first block is on the Necchi which is one of the machines supporting the CS. The Elna in the corner has a gold apron on it. The cutting table in the next corner has parts of three quilts, then there's a stack of patterns because I'm trying the find the perfect one for the daughter who does quilt. It's all okay because it's temporary.

Have a good day. Get out and enjoy the sunshine if you're blessed with a beautiful day like we are. I need to call my son at 2:14. It's my baby's 40th birthday. Too bad he's off working so he can't celebrate with his family. He's on the East coast where the rains are making everything difficult for everyone. So many areas of our country need our prayers. Drought in Texas, floods in the Dakotas and out East, tornado damage in the middle of the country, the list goes on. The guild I may or may not join just sent quilts to the wildfire area in Texas. I wonder if any I worked on were included.

On a more cheerful note. I wish you all a healthy eating day. Am I going to start the 'Don't eat or drink anything from a box or a bottle' tomorrow? It's a thought.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
    Judy
    Old 09-17-2011, 10:36 AM

Thanks to all you cheerleaders. And for continuing to struggle in the day to day and work hard to lose the weight anyway. I know my struggle is mostly emotional eating. There are great questions being asked to help with focus. I am still here. I AM more aware, but am still struggling with the action part. I think writing down what is eating me will help with what I am eating. One thing that is going to be the biggest struggle is allowing myself to think I CAN do this. Maybe not the right way or fast, but with success. From the time I was small, I was told what a failure I was. Nothing I have ever done is "good enough". I don't want to be afraid of failing to do this. I want to DO it. Now to do more than get started. I can usually do okay in the morning and often at lunch. Nite is the worst. I WILL do this.
    Old 09-17-2011, 10:50 AM
    elm

Just remember-one step at a time. If the morning goes well, remember to praise yourself. Actually say to yourself Good job or you did well-something positive about yourself. Every time you make a good choice praise yourself. That is one way to teach yourself that you are capable. When I taught, I used to teach the children to say "I am a capable, lovable person" whenever they were afraid that something was going to be too hard. Try it. It may work for you too. When you brush your teeth in the morning, try smiling at yourself and saying something positive. It can become a good routine for getting the day off to a good start. Good luck. You are capable! You can do this.!
    Originally Posted by BARES
    Thanks to all you cheerleaders. And for continuing to struggle in the day to day and work hard to lose the weight anyway. I know my struggle is mostly emotional eating. There are great questions being asked to help with focus. I am still here. I AM more aware, but am still struggling with the action part. I think writing down what is eating me will help with what I am eating. One thing that is going to be the biggest struggle is allowing myself to think I CAN do this. Maybe not the right way or fast, but with success. From the time I was small, I was told what a failure I was. Nothing I have ever done is "good enough". I don't want to be afraid of failing to do this. I want to DO it. Now to do more than get started. I can usually do okay in the morning and often at lunch. Nite is the worst. I WILL do this.
    Old 09-17-2011, 11:13 AM

elm, thank you for teaching that to our little ones. I used to read the 'Little Train That Could' to all kindergarten and first grade classes. Some of the students would show up in my remedial classes and they'd remember the train.

BARES, It very hard to undo the damage done to us at a young age, especially when it's usually by the people that we care about. I heard "It's a good thing you're smart because you are not pretty." Then, "You are a good example of 'pretty in the cradle, homely at the table." I'm very old now and if someone says 'pretty' to me, I start to cry. Elm's suggestions are wonderful. We can all benefit by using them.

I called D. He made me cry, too - such a sweetheart - he thanked me for having him. I wish he was home for his b'day, but at least his coworkers bought him lunch. His wife called me. She is planning a surprise party when he rotates home in a few weeks. I have to make a homemade German Chocolate cake. No mix on a b'day.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
    Old 09-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by nancia
    let's hear some more successes! those of you who are lurking, pop in and tell us how you are doing!! anybody having some real difficulty? anybody found something that's working like magic? SHARE!
    ok~ I've lost 3 1/2 pounds...not really exciting but sure better than gaining it! I've cut calories as much as I possibly can & am walking again.
    Old 09-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Beachbound, 3 1/2 pounds is exciting to me. It takes time and you've made a great start.

Don't you hate when you discovered at 4:20 you need fabric and the store closes at 4:00 on Saturday? Connecting Threads Mirage in Coal is not black - it's brown. I need black. Good thing I have other things I can work on.
    Old 09-17-2011, 01:15 PM

beachbound-- i find 3 1/2 lbs VERY exciting! that's about my average for a month now!! woohoo for you!! keep it up! a word of advice. try to keep your calories at 1200 or above. as tempting as it is to go lower it will backfire. lower than 1200 your body reacts as if it's starving and will hold onto everything it can to protect you. ask me how well i know this! it seems like lower calories will get you there faster, but not only will it slow you down, it will undermine your general health. give it some thought, please.