Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sharing the road with semi trucks >

Sharing the road with semi trucks

Sharing the road with semi trucks

Old 10-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

If it weren't for the truckers we would have plenty of money because there wouldn't be any merchandise in the stores. Now for all you who think trucks are a pain in the A$$ think about that for a while. If everyone would drive like we are suppose too then everyone would be much safer on the roads.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 AM

Never argue with anyone or anything bigger than you, on or
off the road. Thats my motto.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Good points....and funny that you should post this not 15 minutes after we had an incident with a trucker! We ran down to the local store (donut run!) and have to pull out onto Hwy 97. This intersection has a truck stop where you come out of the truck stop onto Rosland (the road I was on) then up to the stop sign about 2 truck lengths to get onto the Hwy. We got behind a trucker that was pulling out of the truck stop....and he STOPPED in the middle of the road BEFORE the stop sign... We could see him in his mirror -- he was talking on the phone. We waited...finally, he crept up to the sign. Then he sat on the PHONE while we waited -- and waited and waited. He could have pulled out 4 times...but didn't becuase he wasn't paying attention. THEN when he DID pull out, he almost hit a car coming from the north and trying to pull onto our road. That car was in a legitimate turn lane. I know a lotta truckers blame the "other" drivers....but I've seen WAY too many truckers do STUPID dumb things. Oh, how about the guy that was on the cell phone and pulled onto Rosland...missing my car by 2" and stopping traffic coming from the south.....all the while he was on the phone driving the semi with one hand. Nope - can't convince me that the "other" drivers are all to blame.
Nor would I try to. As with most groups, there are the good, the not so good, and the awful.
As I am the wife of an x 18 wheeler driver... If this driver drove for a company you should have taken his company # and reported him, If He was a independent owner getting his own loads, the DOT or Hwypatrol... Most Truckers are very professional, it is a big responsibility and takes a lot of skill. I have seen my DH back up in spaces I could not believe,If I was a betting woman I would have bet against him doing it. Most companies will not tolerate such behavior and with some it only takes one such call for driver to loose his job. Sorry you came across such an unprofessionial driver,As quoted there are bad and good in any group. My DH suffered 3 neck surgeries and a broken leg on Killer 27 in FL. because a stupid tourist pulled in front of him and He had no where to go expect weave in and out of Traffic...Divided Hwy.... Couldn't go in other lane He would have sideswiped cars...couldn't do anything except to let his training and professionalism take over with an angel in his cab. Witnesses say He hit medium went across to other side going in other direction weaved in and out going in wrong direction... Hit medium strip again and rolled over twice.... CAUSE some person would not wait for him to pass,so pulled out in front and cut him off Cause it was Dec.12th and they were going Christmas shopping. can't do that to a big truck....So stupidity can be on both sides of that coin... Bill has suffered so much and became disabled because of this stupidity.
When I see a trucker being dangerous I call num of company or Hwypatrol. Just had to get my 2 cents worth into this one. ;) Cause when our Lawyer got thru they paid thru.their pocket books. Another time He was going to West Palm Beach and old lady in her 80's hit him with her Cadilac right at the fuel tank... He got the ticket not her,even though it was really her fault...Deputy Sherrif said... Quote.. you are the professional Driver here You should have watched for Her... UnQuote So you see!!!!! BillsBonBon :)
Old 10-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Frankly, I think most truckers are better drivers that a lot of car drivers on the roads nowadays. Too many people think it's okay to tailgate, pass on the right, move in and out of lanes, in too much of a hurry to get to the next exit.

If they'd do the math re how fast they're going and the distance they're traveling, they would figure out that they MIGHT get there a couple minutes early, or they MIGHT never get there at all. Meanwhile, they are making the roads more and more dangerous for everybody else. Including the truckers they tailgate!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Dee

Originally Posted by erstan947
Thanks bearisgray. I've driven a bigrig 1,000,000 miles. My husband and I team drove. It always amazed what drivers will do....in a car or a semi. The best thing for all drivers to do is hang up that phone and use the golden rule when you are behind the wheel. I'm now happy to be at home and I drive my sewing machine the most now!
My DH and I were team drivers cross country and its amazing what 4 wheelers will do. I agree there are some cowboys out there, but the majority are professional drivers.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dee
Originally Posted by erstan947
Thanks bearisgray. I've driven a bigrig 1,000,000 miles. My husband and I team drove. It always amazed what drivers will do....in a car or a semi. The best thing for all drivers to do is hang up that phone and use the golden rule when you are behind the wheel. I'm now happy to be at home and I drive my sewing machine the most now!
My DH and I were team drivers cross country and its amazing what 4 wheelers will do. I agree there are some cowboys out there, but the majority are professional drivers.
I got a ticket once for some old bat's terminal stupidity. I was backing out of a parking space. I was parked head in and was backing out and to my right - nobody was in the lane behind me. This old bat came from my left and turned into a parking space on my right - SHE TURNED BEHIND AND INTO THE PATH OF A BACKING VEHICLE - I got the ticket because I was "backing up."
Old 10-09-2010, 11:39 AM

Thanks for spreading that info.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Dee

The life on the road is a hard one and I and DH are retired and now I put the petal to the metal on my sewing machines. And loving it. No longer a 1000 decisions in a minute and no ice and snow in the mountains, no more white outs and truck stop food and showers. We now have a nice comfy warm bed and watch the weather from our inside windows. Makes us appreciate what we have. When we're in the store we know some trucker traveled all nite to get us the food, wearables and mail, so we could enjoy life. God Bless the trucker. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-09-2010, 06:51 PM

i work in ltl (less than truckload) shipping.. i have been the office manager in the boston, then the worcester ma terminals for estes express for 14 yrs.. worked for abf, preston trucking & yellow frt before that. about 30 years of working w/drivers

in that time i have known many drivers. you will always have a few bad apples, just like every other profession, but for the most part, they are hard working, talented people doing a very difficult job

we recently had a driver involved in a fatal accident. he was running @ nite, and a 4 wheeler (driven by a teenager, with a carload of kids, coming from a party @ 245 am..) came off an onramp and lost control of her car.. our driver tried to avoid, going from the right lane, to the center lane to the left lane, but the 4 wheeler still spun into him, and a passenger was killed..

he is devastated. he did nothing wrong, did everything anyone could do to avoid it, and will still carry the weight of her death for the rest of his life...

another driver i knew was hit head on, by a guy committing suicide... happened years ago, but he will still drive miles out of his way to avoid that stretch of road...

they keep the economy moving... one of my guys has a bumper sticker on his personal vehicle...

it has a picture of a stork bringing the baby... says "everything else you have, came by truck"

just give them enough room on the highway, surface street and loading docks to do their job.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

I am surprised at how many forum members drive big rigs - or have close family members that are drivers.