Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sharing the road with semi trucks >

Sharing the road with semi trucks

Sharing the road with semi trucks

Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
My point was, that my dh gets cussed at, fingers pointed at him, the "finger" itself and people going nuts because he can't go over 62 mph. Heck, some of his trucker friends have had people pull guns on them! I know some trucks go way too fast but the ones that go way too slow, they just can't help it and don't want killed because somebody is in a road rage.
I guess we were lucky and never experienced road rage. Our truck was governed and 60 , then raised to 62.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:39 AM

People in general drive to fast and are reckless.Everyone is to busy thinking of number one , they dismiss all the rules and laws. People just need to return to repsecting other people.Treat everyone like you want to be treated.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:50 AM

Our truck was governed at 71 mph. Never had any big issues there. Where our issues came in was in the states where truck speed limits were 55 mph, and cars could do 70. Impatience on the part of the drivers of the cars nearly caused several accidents...I've even had drivers of cars pass me on the right shoulder because of their impatience!

The other danger I witnessed was in states like California where the trucks are limited to the right lane ONLY, car drivers entering the freeway and expecting the truck to get over for them, getting angry and nearly causing an accident when it didn't happen, either because there was a car beside the truck that the entering car driver couldn't see, or because of the law limiting trucks to the right lane only. I don't know of too many truckers that are going to take a ticket so that someone can get on the freeway in a hurry. William got one once, for that very reason. Cost him $500 for being in the center lane...where he moved to avoid hitting a woman who insisted on the right of way as she entered the freeway.

JACRN has it right. It all boils down to respect and courtesy. We HAVE to share the roads...play nice.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LittleVersa
Dear Truckers, I understand your job is stressful and that idiotic drivers make you mad, but I am begging you all, PLEASE STOP TAILGATING! If I had to stop quickly, you'd run right over the top of me. Then you'd have to explain to my beloved neices and nephew why you were in such a hurry you had to kill me. Tailgating is Dangerous and DEADLY. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop tailgating!!!
And the same can be said for cars that are following so close that I thought they were hitched to the back of the trailer.

Courtesy and sense (I won't say "common sense" - I'm beginning to think that is a rare commodity) - and knowledge of the limitations/characteristics of the roads and vehicles on it are helpful.

Most of us want to get to where we are going with ourselves and our vehicles undamaged and with our tempers under control

I wish driving courses could/would include more simulations of bad driving conditions.

The 55 Alive driving education is helpful - up to a point - but also could be more thorough.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
Driving here in the East is especially hard with a sleeper cab and 53 foot trailer. You have mail boxes, light poles, bus benches and very narrow streets to turn on. Please do be couteous and understanding in trucks making wide turns. Its because you have to judge and make sure your trailer can make the turn without running over anything. My DH drove a truck for 46 yrs. and I 10. We owned 2 trucks. Making a del. in Wa. D.C. is a nitemare.
we have a stop in downtown boston that you can only get to with a straight truck, and he had to pull his mirror's in flat to the doors b4 he goes down the alley, cause that is the only way he fits... goes a full city block like that... and had never even scraped the truck on either building... he parks in the one spot that widens out to open his door & makes the delivery... used to be twice a week.... always amazed me.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:20 PM

or two trucks running together would never squeeze a car, nope wouldn't happen....
---------------------------------
Have a friend married to a CHP officer. He told several times about calling some big rigs who double teamed to cut off a maniac driver so he and other CHPs could catch them. I think that everyone respects those who do their jobs and do them well.

And as for the views the truckers get..I see some that quite surprises me when riding in the back seat of our blood bank van. Surprising what folks in the shorter cars feel free to do when driving, but our driver, an ex trucker, says nothing can surprise him now. I spend a lot of time with my mouth hanging open.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:18 AM

couldn't resist to post this picture :-D :-D
We went to a festival and that was the only parking place left......
Edit...well that didnt work,picture was too little
Attached Thumbnails attachment-187916.jpe  
Old 04-23-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
or two trucks running together would never squeeze a car, nope wouldn't happen....
---------------------------------
Have a friend married to a CHP officer. He told several times about calling some big rigs who double teamed to cut off a maniac driver so he and other CHPs could catch them. I think that everyone respects those who do their jobs and do them well.

And as for the views the truckers get..I see some that quite surprises me when riding in the back seat of our blood bank van. Surprising what folks in the shorter cars feel free to do when driving, but our driver, an ex trucker, says nothing can surprise him now. I spend a lot of time with my mouth hanging open.
speaking of drivers blocking in maniac drivers, let's not forget, it was a truck driver, blocking in a rest area that allowed the police depts involved to catch the dc beltway sniper a few years ago....